IPhone Premium vs. Website Premium

chab009

Hi,

I've been geocaching for a few years now, but have always used C:Geo on Android. I've recently had to switch to an iPhone and am a bit confused by the Geocaching premium options within the Geocaching app. It appears I have to go premium as i can't really find any app on iPhone that matches c:geo on Android in terms of what you get for free (maybe there is?).

But my main question is: Is there a difference in paying $39.99 through the iPhone App for premium, or can I pay $29.99 through the geocaching website and get the same functionality as well as have that functionality carry over to the iPhone application?

Thanks!

or can I pay $29.99 through the geocaching website and get the same functionality as well as have that functionality carry over to the iPhone application?

Thanks!

Not sure if an error or what, but a pm here is thirty bucks and carries over to your phone app too. :)

If true, hopefully that's "fixed" by Groundspeak soon...

I've heard that Cachly is a good iPhone app, which doesn't have the restrictions the official app has. You're only able to view 3 caches a day on it, though, unlike on c:geo, but it accesses all caches besides the Premium Member Only ones, just like c:geo does.

Wow, it's true.

I just checked the app vs the website.

It really does cost $39.99 if you buy a PM via the app yet $29.99 via the website.

Maybe Apple is taking 30%. Didn't they do the same for Spotify (Spotify didn't want to give up part of their income and raised their price 30% only if paid via appstore)?

Isn't the 39.99 in CAD and the 29.99 in USD?

Wouldn't the site be different then too?

It does say, "Country: Canada" on the site shot...

I've set in my profile that I'm from the netherlands and this website still shows al times in seattle time. So I wouldn't assume that displaying the country Canada, would automatically set the currency to CAD.

Isn't the 39.99 in CAD and the 29.99 in USD?

Wouldn't the site be different then too?

It does say, "Country: Canada" on the site shot...

No. Since then CAD/USD exchange is always changing, sometimes by quite a bit, it's easier for them to set the price as $30 USD and let the credit cards/paypal collect the appropriate amount in CAD for that days exchange.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Apple takes a hefty 30% of all subscriptions through the Apple Appstore, my guess is that the 10 dollars you are paying extra is to cover that fee. So: sign up through the website and you'll have the same advantages, without paying Apple for that B)

You mean like this?

I didn't seem to have this issue. Through the official Geocaching app it was $29.99 or through the website it was $29.99. I chose to go through the website as it was easier and able to be paid with PayPal rather than jumping through Apple's hoops.