How native are you to Oregon (obviously for Oregonians)?

Zzzoey & illDRIVEuNav

My Grandmother on my mothers side born and raised in Crawfordville, My Mother was Born and raised in Mill City, I was Born in Salem and Raised in Oregon, My wife was born in Portland and raised in Sprungfield, Our son was born in Sprungfield, Oldest daughter born in Sprungfield and youngest born in Medford. All the kids have lived in Oregon. My Father was born in Montana - a close second to Oregon - and raised in Oregon.

Two grandkids born in Oregon, Bend.

Does this all make sense ?

logscaler.

One native Oregonian who's always lived in the Portland area except for an interlude in Eugene.

One with a more, um, varied past. Wisconsin native, did time in California, lived in Pennsylvania and Washington, and migrated here in 1989. Lived more years in Washington County than anywhere else, so that must qualify for adopted native status (that and the moss growing on the north side of the nose).

Born and raised in Seattle (left 3 weeks after graduating from high school). Educated and Married in Phoenix, and immediately moved to Oregon (I like to say that I got my degree, got my wife and got the h*** out of the desert).

Lived in Oregon nearly 22 years - 18 in my current home (far longer than anywhere else).

All 3 of my kids are native Oregonians icon_biggrin.gif

Doug was born and raised in Corvallis. He didn't go to OSU, but is a big fan. His parents had season BB tickets, and he got to see Gary Payton, AC Green, and other NBA greats play in college. Steve Johnson was his student teacher in 5th grad. Now Doug has season OSU football tickets, and has been watching the coaching situation with great interest.

My family moved to Newport when I was 7. We left Cainsville Missouri on Christmas Day 1976 and arrived in Oregon on New Year's Day 1977. It was OK growing up in Newport, but I would never move back there. And no, I didn't go to the beach all the time!

When Doug and I got married one week following college graduation, we moved to Seattle for 3.5 years, but didn't like it there; we have been proud Portlanders ever since. icon_biggrin.gif

--Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

My immediate family was born in Montana and migrated here, I was born here. All of my siblings were born in Montana.

My sister is the family geneological historian now. She has traced one of the family Indian Line back to the Indians that used to occupy an area at the beach. I think she has that family line traced back to 1851 or something like that. I guess I should take more interest in when she is telling me this stuff. It usually makes me fall asleep.

I've been all over except I skipped the midwest. Came here for my job and after six years in this area- I feel I've put down some roots. I love it here, would never to return to Florida, Boston or Buffalo. I loved living in Hoboken and Baltimore as a young single 20-something, but the urban phase of my life is over. I went to Grad school in beautiful Colorado, but the front range has become a rat race as bad as any eastern corridor.

Because of Oregon, I need a regular dose of the woods each week!

Besides geocaching, I am a member of a hiking club and the Native Plant society. I often find I know more about the terrain and natural history of many parts of Oregon than most native (alien) Oregonians I meet.

My son, 2 months old, is a native and has already gone on several cache hunts.

quote:
Does this all make sense ?

Um yeah but it makes my brain hurt icon_wink.gif.

quote:
28 years old. Lived here all my life. I even live 5 or 6 blocks from the hospital I was born in. I've also lived in the same zipcode all my life too! ... Hmmm... Not sure if I should be sad or proud of those things.. heh

Both probably.. icon_smile.gif

quote:
My great-great-great grandparents moved to St. Paul, Oregon in 1851. We haven't gone far since.
My great-great-great grandparents came over the Oregon Trail in 1848 and settled near Salem. My great^3 grandpa actually wrote a diary that you can find online here It isn't overly exciting, but we have been able to retrace and visit a few of the places we know they camped on their journey. He wrote journals all his life, and they are very coveted.

quote:
did time in California
My sympathies icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Born and raised in Seattle
Pretty close to being an Oregonian. You know about slugs, umbrellas and mud that cakes to your shoes and makes you taller the further you walk in it.

quote:
I claim to be a native of the Pacific Northwest.
That's your story and you're sticking to it icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
My immediate family was born in Montana and migrated here, I was born here. All of my siblings were born in Montana.
We know lots of folks who came from Montana or Wyoming to Oregon. In fact, illDRIVE's grandpa helped build some of the roads in Yellowstone NP. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Son - born in Missoula
Did you live there or just happen to be traveling through when he decided to make his big appearance?

quote:
..Corvallis is actually The Village... people never seem to escape from the damned place. You *think* you're out, but then you just find yourself right back there again. Who are you? Who's side are you on?! WHO IS NUMBER ONE??
I understand that.. some of the smaller towns seem to create their own gravity field, and call their own home, again and again. Glad we both broke free of Sheridan!

quote:
My son, 2 months old, is a native and has already gone on several cache hunts.
Congrats! And yes it is true, a good dose of the outdoors really does a body good. Mentally as well as physically.

Born in Fort Benning, Georgia, but family moved to California shortly thereafter. Raised there for most of my life in Northern Cali - which is nothing like Southern LA-LA land. Did a 9 month stint in South Dakota when my parents got some hair brained idea that they wanted to live there. One winter proved them wrong, and we moved back to California.

My great great grandparents also traveled over the Oregon Trail and settled here. My mom was raised in Medford, and her parents lived in Florence for all of my life - so we were up here all the time as kids. Have been here now for 11 years, and couldn't imagine living anywhere else - though occassionally I miss Monterey, and days spent watching the Giants play at home whenever I got a craving to drive up to the city to catch a game. The mrs. is a native of Vancouver.

You forgot a choice for those from the deep south. I have lived many a place, but I call New Orleans home since I spent the majority of my life there. I guess I can also call it home since my parents still live there, as do most of my extended family.

Loving life here in Oregon, though. My mom has been searching around here for land, so she likes it too, even though that like is just based on her couple of visits.

Born in Minnesota and moved out here in 1952. Raised in Tacoma, spent 8 years in Denver. Purchased my current home, about 40 miles NW of Portland, 20 years ago today.

Charlie Trail Duster -

When you pat a dog on its head, he will usually wag his tail. What will a goose do?

Paul Lynde-- Make him bark.

Well I think we who where born in Oregon should include a lot of the people who where born in Washington, Idaho and parts of Montana as native’s.

Remember that the Oregon Territory included all those places.

So saying your a Native Born Northwesterner is Okay.

I think someone from Texas wanted it broken up so they would still be the largest.

Besides that, all the people who could not handle the real west, headed South from here anyway. After all it was called the OREGON TRAIL, Not the California trail.

Flame on.

logscaler.

I like that.xyxthumbs.gif

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Well I think we who where born in Oregon should include a lot of the people who where born in Washington, Idaho and parts of Montana as native’s.

Remember that the Oregon Territory included all those places.

So saying your a Native Born Northwesterner is Okay.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Lived the first 17.5 years in my life in the same little town of Taos, New Mexico. Finally left the state to go to college in Phoenix, AZ for two years. Headed east to continue edumacation in Worcester, MA and spent 5 years there. Went back to AZ for two more years (one of grad school, one working for my present employer), then moved up here and been here for the last 10 years. Hoping never to leave, other than trips to see family or to Ireland icon_biggrin.gif

Both dogs and two of three cats are natives though!

but Central Oregon is home.

"Although I am not native to this place, everything about it reminds me of who I am."

"Some are born in their place, some find it, some realize after long searching that the place they left is the one they have been searching for. But whatever their relation to it, it is made a place only by slow accrual like a coral reef."

- Wallace Stegner

Born in SoCal, there for 5 years then family moved to Oregon, Cedar Mill, for 1 year, then back to SoCal for a year, then back to Oregon. Lived in Aloha for about 3 years then moved to the coast range at 10. Lived there till I graduated from good ol Banks High School. Moved into Portland, where I go stir crazy if I do not get out of town at least once a week, and have lived here the last 21 years. So I am not quite native, but the small mark of SoCal is not even noticable icon_wink.gif

Life is as much a journey of discovery, as it is a discovery of the journey...

**Namaste**

Well, I am glad everyone liked the poll/discussion.

I was born in Salem (at the old big curved hospital), lived in Salem, McMinnville, then when I was 3 we moved about 8 miles north of Sheridan, up in the Coast Range foothills. My folks still live there. I went to school in Sheridan, graduated there and moved away from home ALL THE WAY to McMinnville, then Salem, then over to Central Oregon.

My mom's family is all from the Stayton/Turner/Salem/Silverton area (there is a ton of them)... my dad's are from the Dallas, OR area.

I will let illDRIVE give you his info because, well.. er.. I can't remember all of where he has lived... icon_eek.gif

PS he and I dated in high school, but went our separate ways until 1997 when we got in touch and hit it off, got married in 1998 and haven't looked back!

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the responses!

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite: Some of my best friends are originally from California. I actually love the state, outside of LA (it doesn't do a thing for me). Alas, I have also known many folks who hated Californians for being Californians. Silly. You can't help where you are born! icon_razz.gif

DenaliNW: Military brat? icon_wink.gif South Dakota is a bit different than California, isn't it?

Cap'n Jack: I'd figure you to be from Salem. A very nice, laid back guy! I tell you what, when I go back there, I cannot believe it is even the same town. Some things are the same (like the old state hospital) but most everything else is TOTALLY different. Traffic is heinous, much worse than when I lived there. The last time I spent anytime near Lancaster, Barney and I were at the Petsmart parking lot and heard gunshots very near. I couldn't drive fast enough home to Central Oregon. I am sure you like the Dalles, it seems like a very cool town! Dang poison oak though!

Oregon Cajuns: New Orleans! I would love to visit. Are you the one putting all those funky mardi gras beads in caches? icon_wink.gif

Charlie Trail Duster: Wow congrats on the 20 years of home ownership! Doesn't get much better than owning a little piece of the NW!

Hey, in Minnesota, did you happen to live near a lake? icon_biggrin.gif

leatherman: I like Washington, but your highway signs are fugly, with those Geo. Washington heads! icon_razz.gif

logscaler: Idaho? Hey, some of them folks's purdy strange! Just kidding. I like Idaho, outside of the I-26 swath. And IT isn't even that bad, just.. well.. miles and miles of .. snore...

boojum: Dang! Phoenix? You should move to Central Oregon, you would like our hot summers icon_wink.gif

Sassquatch: I saw your ..er...plaster foot the other day on TV.. I don't know what to think now icon_eek.gif

bigeddy: It's nice to not only live further North, but still be able to see sun most of the year (Bend) icon_wink.gif

bazzle: Banks HS? WOW! How many did you graduate with? Coast Range: Where slugs, mud, mushrooms and hairy mold become a way of life.

Sparklehorse: I bet the Buick was quicker than the old Prairie Schooners were. But not much! icon_wink.gif

i am from Los Angeles, California, and i lived the first seventeen years of my life there. according to most people that is like the worst place ever to be from and i should really just go home. i'm not sure what gives people the right to be so snooty about where someone was born but i'm way over being ashamed of it and i think part of me plans on staying in oregon just to make the better-than-thou oregonians mad. and, i just got oregon plates today. so there.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

Had a HUGE class zzzoey, a whoping 76 of us that year. And you forgot to mention huddling round the wood stove, thawing frozen well pipes, and endless hours of wandering in the forest icon_wink.gif

Life is as much a journey of discovery, as it is a discovery of the journey...

**Namaste**

Dang that is a HUGE class! We had I think 25 in my graduating class. It would have been higher if not for all the teen pregnancies (small town-sigh)

Yes, frozen pipes.. argh. Wind storms that blew trees over roads and your house, cutting off power, and being so far out.. not a real high priority for PGE to come fix.... We went for a week once without power.. that was strange.

One time while I was in high school, our pipes froze and our water heater wasn't working. My dad was out in the "mudroom" trying to thaw the pipes out with a hair dryer or something, standing on a chair, and the chair slipped. Well, the mudroom was also storage for all other not-sure-where-they-go items, and he belly-flopped straight down on the tall handle of the upright vacuum. He was writhing in pain, gasping for air and clutching his tummy, and all I could do was giggle!...Kids are so evil!

I also used to know what poison oak looked like, but I lost that skill somewhere.

Born in Spokane, WA. I've lived in Hawthorne Nevada, Bloomington Minnesota, Lewiston Idaho, Millington Tennesse, Hawthorne Nevada again, Lewiston Idaho again, Yokosuka and Okinawa Japan, Khartoum Sudan, London England, San Clemente California and Corvallis. I'm not moving again.

Croaker

Corvallis

but I am now. I was born in New Mexico, grew up in Idaho, and after that the Navy had me in San Diego, LA, Salt Lake City UT, Bremerton Wa and my last 7 years were spent in Hawaii. Aint working for the government a wonderful thang? I've always loved the North West, so when a large chip manufacturing company (i wont mention which one, you'll just havta guess) paid me to move here, I jumped on it. Been enjoying myself since then.

-Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital dying of nothing.-

Ok..I just had to respond to this poll. I've really enjoyed reading all the posts. If I can site ancestral ties to Oregon, then I'm a native by many generations (family homestead is in Richland, Oregon...FYI, outside of Baker City), but that's just one side. On a personal note, I was actually born in Washington, but moved to the east coast (Virginia) when I was but a wee babe. Survived a good bit of my life there (hey, it was suburbia Washington DC...survive is a good word for it icon_wink.gif) When I was 21, I relocated back and set myself up in the Willamette Valley, where I fell into my line of work. If I had the choice, would I go back and live there again? What part of NO do I need to explain. Where I'm at now is either 90 minutes to the coast or the mountains. Sorry, back east it usually takes all day to reach the coast, because everyone else has the same idea. (Yikes...having flashbacks..shiver) icon_biggrin.gif

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

I was born in DuBois, Pennsylvania stayed there through high school. Went to Slippery Rock Univ in Western PA - almost into Ohio, in fact we used to travel to a club called The Magic Twanger icon_biggrin.gif in Boardman, Ohio. Anyway, while in college I met this girl over the internet icon_razz.gif which brought me to Oregon. I wasn't there long until I got transfered (for work) to Gaithersburg, MD (just outside of D.C.). I agree about the trip to the coast, we used to love going to Ocean City except for the drive. Well Maryland only lasted about a year and decided we didn't want to raise a family there, so back to Oregon we went where we have lived for the past 7-8 years.

2 kids were born in Eugene, 1 in Springtucky. Both dogs were born in Alvadore (same breeder). Our first cat came out from Pennsylvania, Conneaut Lake Park to be specific (I did my internship there) and the other cat came from Greenhill Humane Society (NEVER NEVER NEVER take the kids to "just look" at the animals) icon_eek.gif. We love 'em all!

Oh yeah, the internet love connection......we have been happily married since 1995! icon_biggrin.gif

-Jay

FoF

AKGAT.gif

Jay tells such a great story. Almost brought a tear of happiness to my eyes. icon_biggrin.gif

Knowing the FOFles (as we call them here), I like giving them a bad time.

Myself... Oregon born. Traveled around a bit but just ended up back here.

Here's a thought... you would think a college called Slippery Rock would be out here... from either the moss growing on it or the rain.

Two of the AppleDumplinGang(ADG)are brother and sister and are both from Salem. Another ADGer is from Brooks, Oregon and is married to the sister and they now reside in Portland with a baby ADGer. Another ADGer is originally from California (moved to Salem Oregon when she was a kid)and is married to the brother and they still reside in Salem. So I'd say our little family is made up of true Oregonians!

I was born and raised in Oregon. Left to live in Georgia the better part of 20 years. Hubby (Ohio born, fan of that "other O.S.U.") and I moved back to Oregon a few years ago. He recently asked me how long it takes to be considered an Oregonian? I think the fact that he likes the weather here better than in the South helps him qualify.

I remember the S.N.O.B. bumper stickers of the 1970's and wonder if anyone still uses that acronym: Society of Native Oregon Born.

raised within 30 miles of Salem up to age 15 (except one year at age 3 in Prineville), from 15 on have lived in Salem since. (except a year in Keizer which is right next to Salem, and 3 days when I thought I'd move to Madras, Oregon) My dad was also born and raised in Oregon, my mom is a California transplant, but she moved here with my grandparents when she was 5 so she's almost native.

My wife also was born and raised here in Oregon.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I have lived in Oregon all my life... more specifically Grants Pass, OR. My mom was born in GP as well as my grandma and my great grandfather. My Great Great grandfather was born in Salem just before Oregon became a state. Plus I went to Oregon State University so I am pretty well tied to the area

I wasn't born here, but I've lived in Oregon since 1971. Mostly in Klamath Falls, but worked in Corvallis for about 6 weeks. I was born in Nome, Alaska and also lived in Palmer, Alaska. It gets a little colder and a little bit more snow up there than it does down here. icon_biggrin.gif

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo