Trouble downloading a cartridge

Geek_Teach

I am trying to download the cartridge at : http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=83167b8e-95de-4828-b680-f4d9b6b9a800

After I choose any "Download cartridge file for" option and selecting the button, I am getting an error message:

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Is this an issue with the gwz file that was uploaded or something wrong with my computer?

Tried using my son's account, he got the same error. Tried downloading a different cartridge with no issues. Tried using the "Compile a Cartridge GWZ File" file option and it generated a gwc file just fine.

I created the cartridge with urwigo. Built a new gwz file and reuploaded, but I got the same error.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Geek_Teach

Please check, if your cartridge description has more than 800 characters and if the name, the description or the starting location description contain any special characters (like ' or ä).

Cartridge description was only 451. I did have the Obfuscate strings option in Urwigo turned on, so, perhaps the '\' characters goofed stuff up.

My solution was to host the cartridge at Wherigo Foundation instead of the Wherigo website. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Groundspeak to officially acknowledge the Wherigo Foundation site - since their site hasn't been fixed in 8 years.

My solution was to host the cartridge at Wherigo Foundation instead of the Wherigo website. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Groundspeak to officially acknowledge the Wherigo Foundation site - since their site hasn't been fixed in 8 years.

The reviewers have been advised by Groundspeak not to publish geocache listings with links to the Wherigo Foundation site. In addition, if Groundspeak tells me to take the WF site down, people lose access to your cartridge (then you'd have to find a way to make the Wherigo.com site accept it).

Hmm... the Castle Rock one isn't even 100KB, so your issue isn't due to having a large cartridge. The Wherigo.com site limits cartridges to around 20MB. The site will also not accept long descriptions and HTML.

I figured out the problem.

Since the urwigo emulator never showed the Start Description, I put in a Dialog with the Cartridge.Start Description as the contents - as a programmer, I know to use variables whenever possible so as to not have repeated content. Apparently that's bad enough to crash the entire download.

(Diagnosing the problem I deleted a lot of code and really cleaned everything up nicely though!)

Thanks Ranger Fox for your offer!

I figured out the problem.

Since the urwigo emulator never showed the Start Description, I put in a Dialog with the Cartridge.Start Description as the contents - as a programmer, I know to use variables whenever possible so as to not have repeated content. Apparently that's bad enough to crash the entire download.

(Diagnosing the problem I deleted a lot of code and really cleaned everything up nicely though!)

Thanks Ranger Fox for your offer!

Same error, same solution eg. I removed user function references to cartridge Name, Description and Start description - which look like a bug or whether the feature.

Thank you.

koodi

Hello everybody

Well, I'm facing the same error when dowloading my cartridge.

I developed it with Urwigo (from an existing source, thanks for the sharing)

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I read this forum (and others here)

I removed all datas in cartridge description in Wherigo

Note: If I upload another cartridge of mines, that works, so that the issue comes from the cartridge

I removed all the comments in lua file

I even removed, in a debug version, all lua code !

then same for all events and comments in Urwhigo

In brief, quite nothing says, and still the same issue !

I'm going to be crazy

Christophe

Not sure if my problem is related but when I download a Wherigo cartridge instead of going to my WhereYouGo app on my android phone it just downloads into downloads.  I don't know what's happened as it has worked fine for the last year or so.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

12 hours ago, slowfox said:

Not sure if my problem is related but when I download a Wherigo cartridge instead of going to my WhereYouGo app on my android phone it just downloads into downloads.  I don't know what's happened as it has worked fine for the last year or so.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Not sure as I don't have an Android phone.  However, you should be able to set WhereYouGo's default directory to the downloads directory, then it won't matter.