I am feeling very stupid

lindyfd

So I've been trying to figure out this pocket query thing for about a year now, I have GSAK and have no idea how to use it, I can't seem to figure out how to get caches into my GPS...so frustrated.

I put the coordinates in manually for each cache so far. I watched the tutorial about pocket queries and it talks about having the query run on specific days...?? What does that mean? Why can't I download it into GSAK? I made a PQ but it doesn't seem to do anything other than get lost in my "downloaded files" folder on my computer. All the tutorials I've seen seem to cater to the folks who are way more familiar with computers than I am.

"All you do is make a macro zip in the dialog box and click drag it to the import file manager.com...easy as pie."

Might as well be talking Swahili to me.

Are there any truly laymens tutorials out there or am I doomed to pen, paper, and punching in numbers on my GPS?

I second the link HHL provided. Also, one point that often confuses new geocachers is that Pocket Queries have three steps:

1. Create the PQ - define the criteria used to select caches
  2. Run the PQ - use the criteria to select caches and copy the data somewhere on the server
  3. Download the PQ - copy the data to your device

A common mistake is to skip the second "Run the PQ" step. That's where the "run on specific days" thing comes in.

But see the link HHL provided for the details.

If you use GSAK you'll never have to create PQ's!

Geocaching.com API Access --> Get Geocaches

Click Google Maps, place the circle on the right spot on the map, adjust the size and click return

Check if al other options are okay

Click OK

I've been using gsak for years, have used the api to grab a few caches at a time, but i never knew about this. Very nice being able to encircle the area i'm interested in for the download. Thanks!

Click Google Maps, place the circle on the right spot on the map, adjust the size and click return

Click OK

I've been using gsak for years, have used the api to grab a few caches at a time, but i never knew about this. Very nice being able to encircle the area i'm interested in for the download. Thanks!

Same here. How long has this feature been available?

Must go and try it out.

Click OK

Same here. How long has this feature been available?

Must go and try it out.

Just tried it. How cool is that? Easy peasy. I think this will go well for our upcoming US vacation next month.

Edited by colleda

So I've been trying to figure out this pocket query thing for about a year now, I have GSAK and have no idea how to use it, I can't seem to figure out how to get caches into my GPS...so frustrated.

I put the coordinates in manually for each cache so far. I watched the tutorial about pocket queries and it talks about having the query run on specific days...?? What does that mean? Why can't I download it into GSAK? I made a PQ but it doesn't seem to do anything other than get lost in my "downloaded files" folder on my computer. All the tutorials I've seen seem to cater to the folks who are way more familiar with computers than I am.

"All you do is make a macro zip in the dialog box and click drag it to the import file manager.com...easy as pie."

Are there any truly laymens tutorials out there or am I doomed to pen, paper, and punching in numbers on my GPS?

smartphone.... no transfers, no laptops, no cables, no helper programs needed for the device.... ever

download caches within an application and start searching. literally five minutes from start to caching. download 10 or 1000 for a given area, and go.

[...] smartphone.... no transfers, no laptops, no cables, no helper programs needed for the device.... ever

download caches within an application and start searching. literally five minutes from start to caching. download 10 or 1000 for a given area, and go.

Your smartphone crusade turns to be pretty boring with posting in nearly every thread.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Natumaini haya pendekezo wamekuwa msaada. Ni bahati mbaya kwamba hawajaweza kufanya mambo haya mpaka sasa, lakini hopefully wewe utakuwa na uwezo wa kuchukua faida ya zaidi ya uwezo Tovuti ya kuboresha Caching uzoefu wako.

Cache juu! .... Bill

Sasa mimi kupata

[...] smartphone.... no transfers, no laptops, no cables, no helper programs needed for the device.... ever

Your smartphone crusade turns to be pretty boaring with posting in nearly every thread.

Hans

don't be bored, start your own crusade, it's fun!

smartphone.... no transfers, no laptops, no cables, no helper programs needed for the device.... ever

dedicated GPS....no monthly data plan fees...ever

good point! stand-alones won't have the OPTION of cellular data, ever.

$39+ tax, no cellular service /data/contact required, ever.

dedicated GPS. I can geocache anywhere on the planet, with or without a functioning cellular network.

dedicated GPS. I can geocache anywhere on the planet, with or without a functioning cellular network.

do you think a cellular network is needed for smartphones, and if so, what do you think it is needed for?

thanks for the input