Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zach.ruesch

Boys and Girls Club

Folks,

I am a teacher at a public school in Wisconsin and a staff member of a Boys and Girls Club. As such, I seek to incorporate geocaching as an opportunity to teach content knowledge, reinforce positive behaviors, and help create better aware and involved people. Too, exposure to geocaching creates potential future customers for Groundspeak. However, I have trouble gathering resources and supplies to be successful, especially at the Boys and Girls Club. Recently, I posted in the forums seeking donations (unknowingly in violation of guidelines). I am a supporter of structure; however, I feel the benefits of such outweigh the detriments, no matter the hassle.

1. Would you support a forum here dedicated to such endeavors related to donation and charity requests? Please explain your rational. I encourage you to contact Groundspeak and express your perspective, whatever it may be.

2. How do you go about gaining access to the tools necessary for multiple, relatively large-scale operations?

3. How do you structure your classes/activities?

The Boys and Girls Club I am involved with, has an account. I plan to use this account to post our group visits to local caches, but too, I hope to have the kids create and place caches through this account as well.

4. Have you done any relatively large-scale placements over time?

5. How do you organize such efforts?

Please feel free to creep my Geocaching profile. You'll find a link to my professional website (under construction) and email.

Edited by zach.ruesch

What follows is what I wrote to Groundspeak following the removal of my posts:

Geocaching Donations 23 JUN 2016 (0915)

As I write this, I fear I will receive a standard, basic response, personalized to me. My frustration with legal limitations and corporate process will be reinforced once more. I am all for structure, but from my perspective, it does harm.

I am a teacher in a public school district and staff member at a Boys and Girls Club in Wausau, WI. I seek to make this world a better place. Groundspeak claims this as well, but most obviously, a for-profit venture.

I am seeking to create a class and activity group which promotes positive behaviors, especially thoughtful exploration of the world, care of this world, and communication and cooperation between people. Geocaching is a great tool with much potential to improve individual and group outcomes. Our hobby, and your profit, holds much potential to bring us together.

Recently though, I (unknowingly) violated the policies of the public forum discussions by requesting donations for the children of the Boys and Girls Club.I was disappointed by this. I feel you should create a specific forum for such things to take place (and directly support as you are able, such efforts). It is good PR for you.

I realize you are a business with the goal of making money. However, the claim of making this world a better place (which I've read on your website and do recognize) is not nearly what it could and should be.

Geocachers, the world over, should seek to make the world and lives of others better. Supporting worthy organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club and public schools, is the BEST thing we could do. People and our actions improve the world. Yes, CITO and such is great, but so too is creating new cachers who support one another with donations and become CITO participants.

From a business perspective, supporting groups with access to a wide audience of young potential future customers, should be a top priority.

Furthermore, the business ventures which must make you money in some way, such as the Tin Cup Trackables, highlight for me, a sad hypocrisy and imbalance in priorities. If the Boys and Girls Club had enough money, we could buy your support (or service as you see it).

Please create a specific forum and avenue through which geocaching and its members might support worthy ventures which benefit real people through donation, volunteering, and charity. Sure, moderate it and eliminate bogus requests, but please, help us who are seeking to make a difference, interact with other members. Give the geocachers and forum members the opportunity to decide for themselves, what they will do for others.

Please. Make a real difference.

I sincerely hope there is some ear and mind upon which these words might impress some change in policy, and a willingness to seek a better future. Do not bother a response if it is one of apology, legal limitations, and corporate placation.

Please do more.

Thank You,

Zachary Ruesch

Edited by zach.ruesch

Wouldyou support a forum here dedicated to such endeavors related to donation andcharity requests? Please explain your rational.

No.

This is a site for geocaching, and it belongs to Groundspeak, which allows it's members to discuss geocaching, and other related activities.

You (really) have no business asking for donations on this site.

Pretty simple.

I prefer that Groundspeak remain free from politics/agendas.

To be fair to all, you want donations to boys/girls clubs, while an (fill in a group many/most abhor...) wants to do the same.

- I'd rather see none allowed thanks. :)

I am a teacher at a public school in Wisconsin and a staff member of a Boys and Girls Club. As such, I seek to incorporate geocaching as an opportunity to teach content knowledge, reinforce positive behaviors, and help create better aware and involved people.

1. Would you support a forum here dedicated to such endeavors related to donation and charity requests? Please explain your rational. I encourage you to contact Groundspeak and express your perspective, whatever it may be.

I would not support a forum asking for donations to teach geocaching. Are you a paid employee of the Boys and Girls Club or a volunteer?

To me, your post looks like spam and should be removed again.

To me, your post looks like spam and should be removed again.

I agree. I'm closing the thread as it is crossing the line into soliciting donations, contrary to the warning recently issued. To the OP, wait to hear back from Geocaching HQ.