HQ Duck Dash TB race

Pork King

I think I'd like to enter this upcoming travel bug race. I've already ordered a new trackable. My question is, how does the race start? Do we release it on July 20th? Can we release it earlier, but the logs don't count toward the race until the 20th? I've tried to find more info about it, but I've come up short.

I think I'd like to enter this upcoming travel bug race. I've already ordered a new trackable. My question is, how does the race start? Do we release it on July 20th? Can we release it earlier, but the logs don't count toward the race until the 20th? I've tried to find more info about it, but I've come up short.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/06/enter-the-hq-duck-dash-a-global-trackable-race/

B.

You can ask questions and add comments to the blog thread. There's already some questions and comments posted.

Like this:

I activated mine, then entered it in the race. I got this final message once all confirmed:

"Thank you for entering the HQ Duck Dash! You are all set to place your trackable in a geocache when the race begins on July 20, 2016 at 12:01am PST."

I think if GS meant participants would get a souvenir, they would have said "souvenir". I'm guessing the badge is an image you can display in your profile.

You need to complete forms if you want to be entered in the various categories.

Help Center → Trackables → Fancier Features

2.1. HQ Duck Dash Trackable Race FAQ

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=789

B.

Great way to throw away five bucks. I predict at most 50% of these TBs will still be in circulation by the end of the year.

I sorta agree, but so many seem to feel it's worth it to keep pluggin' away, maybe they're just hoping they at least make it to an event a month later. :)

I understand the exact starting time of the race, however what will happen if a race participant TB is dropped in a cache (or event) earlier the same day? For example, in Australia, a participating TB is dropped into a cache at 12 noon (GMT+10) on 20 July 2016, this is officially approximately 5 hours before the designated start time.

I understand the exact starting time of the race, however what will happen if a race participant TB is dropped in a cache (or event) earlier the same day? For example, in Australia, a participating TB is dropped into a cache at 12 noon (GMT+10) on 20 July 2016, this is officially approximately 5 hours before the designated start time.

By the duck page...

"The race begins July 20, 2016 at 12:01am PST"

- So I would guess it's best to figure Seattle's time in your drop. :)

Does the trackable really need to be unactivated until now, or just have no travel history? I have two TB tags in my collection that I activated when I got them, but they have 0 km and no logs on them (apart from "move to collection"), because I was saving them for TB races or similar things but didn't want to worry about forgetting or losing the activation codes.

Edited by doktorfunk

Does the trackable really need to be unactivated until now, or just have no travel history? I have two TB tags in my collection that I activated when I got them, but they have 0 km and no logs on them (apart from "move to collection"), because I was saving them for TB races or similar things but didn't want to worry about forgetting or losing the activation codes.

It looks to me like you can activate it before then. I base that off of their instructions that tell you to activate it and the fill out this form by July 17 that requires you to have an activated TB in order to be int he competition.

https://docs.google.com/a/taftunion.org/forms/d/14ncLd2iZKKDJ3JhyFpG0u1wO3c0zYQVt9kZ1l_2IvqQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

I just wouldn't have anyone discover or move it before the 20th at 1201 AM PST.

Edited by elrojo14

Can someone from HQ address whether we will see a list of people who are registered or not? I think I registered all of my family's TBs correctly, but there is always that lingering doubt unless you see your name on a list somewhere.

Also, I am pretty sure the 7 Deadly Ducks do not need to be registered, but are auto registered correct?

Two more questions, is it safe to assume there should be zero activity on your bug before the 7/20/16 12:01 AM including discoveries? And does the TB have to end up in an event cache to qualify for the awards? So if you have the most miles, most cachers, or most cache visits, but you don't stop in a International Geocaching event, are you disqualified? That also begs the question if the event is earlier in the day and the bug is removed from the event before midnight on 8/20/16, does that still qualify?

I am having fun with this, just some nit picky questions that didn't seem to be clear in the FAQ! Thanks!

Edited by elrojo14

I think its really sad that there is so much negativity about this....I think its a fun thing and even if it does get lost, I'll still have fun with it. Yeah maybe its for profit and all but again...I say just have fun....and if you don't like it then you don't have to enter....I love that they do things like this.

I think its really sad that there is so much negativity about this.... I think its a fun thing and even if it does get lost, I'll still have fun with it. Yeah maybe its for profit and all but again...I say just have fun....and if you don't like it then you don't have to enter....I love that they do things like this.

So much?

One post relived (and predicted) what many have experienced with trackables.

- And I kinda agreed to it. :)

Maybe missed it, but didn't see anything mentioned of (yet another) marketing gimmick.

The way I understand the rules is you get a badge (not a souvenir)just for entering a duck in the race regardless if it gets to and event on August 20th. It seems people have a lot of questions for Groundspeak. Hopefully they answer some of them soon. Here's a link to Groundspeak's blog about it

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/06/enter-the-hq-duck-dash-a-global-trackable-race/?j=1523519&e

Edited by Reno8

Great way to throw away five bucks. I predict at most 50% of these TBs will still be in circulation by the end of the year.

I sorta agree, but so many seem to feel it's worth it to keep pluggin' away, maybe they're just hoping they at least make it to an event a month later. :)

This is my first Travel Bug, and I like the Duck, it's really cute, plus I like collecting souvenirs for my profile. It's all in good fun. Whether you buy the Duck or other travel bugs, you're going to buy them anyway, so why not support the site.

I think its really sad that there is so much negativity about this....I think its a fun thing and even if it does get lost, I'll still have fun with it. Yeah maybe its for profit and all but again...I say just have fun....and if you don't like it then you don't have to enter....I love that they do things like this.

I agree...this is my first Travel Bug...I love the Duck, it's so cute. I just hope it doesn't get snatched up. I've read that many of them can go missing. So sad.

I've read the blog and it answered most of my questions. But...still unclear about the Duck's arrival at an event. First, how do I find the qualifying events for August 20th? Second...Does the Duck actually go into a physical cache at an event, or does someone have to physically bring it to the event? I would appreciate more clarity before the race. Thank you.

I think its really sad that there is so much negativity about this.... I think its a fun thing and even if it does get lost, I'll still have fun with it. Yeah maybe its for profit and all but again...I say just have fun....and if you don't like it then you don't have to enter....I love that they do things like this.

So much?

One post relived (and predicted) what many have experienced with trackables.

- And I kinda agreed to it. :)

Maybe missed it, but didn't see anything mentioned of (yet another) marketing gimmick.

That might have been me. I totally called it a marketing gimmick. I also bought a 7 Deadly Ducks set and entered 8 more TBs along with that into the contest. So though I am calling it a marketing gimmick, I am also participating and having fun with it! Geocaching marketing usually goes along with our fun. There isn't anything wrong with it. This is a fun game and a business too.

Good Morning, Happy after the 4th celebrations. I have two questions. 1. How do I search for a Geocaching Event on the 20th to add a destination for my Duck? 2. Will there be a physical cache at the Event, or does a person have to bring it there? I did read all that I could find, but I'm still a bit confused.

I have two questions.

1. How do I search for a Geocaching Event on the 20th to add a destination for my Duck? 2. Will there be a physical cache at the Event, or does a person have to bring it there? I did read all that I could find, but I'm still a bit confused.

I click on "Find a geocache" (search), click on "Take me to the old search",

Then scroll to my State in "By State/Province" and hit "Go".

-The first caches in the State are always events. :)

Or, you can head to the Community forums here, click on United States sub forums, click on your State, and that shows the events as first too.

Man I really miss "Find Newest" on the profile page... one click n done...

It sounds (to me) that a person last holding your duck needs to bring it to an event, as "To be eligible for the following recognition, trackables must end their journey at a geocaching event on International Geocaching Day, August 20, 2016" says.

A short-duration "race" where you're dependent on others to get your trackable there ... I believe a lot of "movement" by friends/relatives will be going on. ;)

Since we are called the VanDucks and put rubber duckies in caches as our "sig" swag, I just had to order a set of the Deadly Duckies!

However, since ALL of our previous geocoins and TBs over the past eight years have gone missing (many the very first time we dropped them in a cache) I will not be sending our Deadly Duckies out to be taken by someone who just doesn't care about the rules (do I sound a little bitter?)

Fuzziebear3, I wanted to ask you where are you getting the matching rubber duckies? We usually order our ducks from Oriental Trading, but I think it would be hard to find matches for all the "sins." And good luck to you in the race! I hope all your ducks travel far and make it back home to you! We have to be a fan of anyone who wants to cover the world with ducks!

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. Wow...it physically has to travel with a person...challenging. Well, to those attending an event...bring as many Ducks as you find! I'm going to look for an event now. That in itself will be difficult, as most are pretty far away. But...thanks again.

Since we are called the VanDucks and put rubber duckies in caches as our "sig" swag, I just had to order a set of the Deadly Duckies!

However, since ALL of our previous geocoins and TBs over the past eight years have gone missing (many the very first time we dropped them in a cache) I will not be sending our Deadly Duckies out to be taken by someone who just doesn't care about the rules (do I sound a little bitter?)

Fuzziebear3, I wanted to ask you where are you getting the matching rubber duckies? We usually order our ducks from Oriental Trading, but I think it would be hard to find matches for all the "sins." And good luck to you in the race! I hope all your ducks travel far and make it back home to you! We have to be a fan of anyone who wants to cover the world with ducks!

Oriental trading had some, but I actually got similar ones from Amazon instead. They were colorful and numbered, so I am matching them as much as possible by color.

Good Morning, Happy after the 4th celebrations. I have two questions. 1. How do I search for a Geocaching Event on the 20th to add a destination for my Duck? 2. Will there be a physical cache at the Event, or does a person have to bring it there? I did read all that I could find, but I'm still a bit confused.

Realize that many duck events for August 20th may not even be published yet. I believe the goal is just to get to any event on August 20. Plus who knows what state or country your duck might be in by then -- so I would think it would hope to go to an event near wherever it lands at that point in time.

Normallly, travel bugs can be logged in and out of events, just as they are logged in and out of a cache or a cacher's hands. A person would bring it to the event that is held on August 20th, and would log it into the inventory of the event. There is not really a physical cache at the event, but it is at a real location. Events are a time to socialize and meet others cachers. You might like to attend, they are usually quite fun.

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. Wow...it physically has to travel with a person...challenging. Well, to those attending an event...bring as many Ducks as you find! I'm going to look for an event now. That in itself will be difficult, as most are pretty far away. But...thanks again.

If you don't find an event near you, you also could consider hosting one.

Oriental trading had some, but I actually got similar ones from Amazon instead. They were colorful and numbered, so I am matching them as much as possible by color.

Here they are, all ready after surgery :)

03e06e46-a0e6-44aa-81ea-6ab3ef3afc18.jpg?rnd=0.04833168

Their pages are all set up, just waiting for their drops on July 20.

I totally called it a marketing gimmick. I also bought a 7 Deadly Ducks set and entered 8 more TBs along with that into the contest. So though I am calling it a marketing gimmick, I am also participating and having fun with it! Geocaching marketing usually goes along with our fun. There isn't anything wrong with it. This is a fun game and a business too.

I will not participate but it's not the marketing aspect that bothers me as everyone is free to stay away.

What I do not like at all are some of the rules. In my opinion it is a very bad idea to count visited/took it logs.

In my area the majority of cachers (and some visit hundreds of caches per month) automatically create took it logs for all trackables in their inventory for all caches they visit.

They should have restricted to count real visits (the trackable is dropped off by cacher A in cache X and taken away by cacher B .

Edited by cezanne

Realize that many duck events for August 20th may not even be published yet. I believe the goal is just to get to any event on August 20. Plus who knows what state or country your duck might be in by then -- so I would think it would hope to go to an event near wherever it lands at that point in time.

Normallly, travel bugs can be logged in and out of events, just as they are logged in and out of a cache or a cacher's hands. A person would bring it to the event that is held on August 20th, and would log it into the inventory of the event. There is not really a physical cache at the event, but it is at a real location. Events are a time to socialize and meet others cachers. You might like to attend, they are usually quite fun.

This was very helpful. I now understand about logging it into an event. We were actually looking to see where a close event might be held. We live in NH and so far it looks like Mass. is the closest. I very much appreciate your reply to my post. Good Luck in the Race. My duck is really excited to get started!

I totally called it a marketing gimmick. I also bought a 7 Deadly Ducks set and entered 8 more TBs along with that into the contest. So though I am calling it a marketing gimmick, I am also participating and having fun with it! Geocaching marketing usually goes along with our fun. There isn't anything wrong with it. This is a fun game and a business too.

I will not participate but it's not the marketing aspect that bothers me as everyone is free to stay away.

What I do not like at all are some of the rules. In my opinion it is a very bad idea to count visited/took it logs.

In my area the majority of cachers (and some visit hundreds of caches per month) automatically create took it logs for all trackables in their inventory for all caches they visit.

They should have restricted to count real visits (the trackable is dropped off by cacher A in cache X and taken away by cacher B .

You do have a good point. It would be much more challenging to leave out visited logs as part of the count. But...it is what it is and like you said, anyone can choose not to participate. I just got my Duck and it is my first travel bug. I don't want to let it go for fear someone may take it. I am going to visit with it because I'm going on vacation and I want to move it far from home. I think it will be really hard to get it to an event, so I'm not counting on it, but it would be cool. At some point during the month, I'll have to let it fly on its own. For me, it's all about the fun, not the win. I very much want to receive a souvenir for entering the race. I really like getting these. And, I've made it a personal goal to do as many caches as I can in the event month, so that's something that gets me excited. No matter what it's all good. Maybe they'll consider your idea for the next race. I will reiterate that it would make it much more challenging. Thanks for your opinion.

My trackables are all ready to make their grand debut on July 20th. I followed the registration link the on the duck dash info page, but never got a confirmation that my travel bugs were entered. How can I make sure they are being tracked? And can I deposit them the night before or do I have to wait to set them free on the 20th?

GCduckrace.JPG

I like the idea of the QR Code. Can I ask you which QR Code site you used to make them?

WhatQR Code reader would you recommend?

Were you able to get it to say to go to the geocaching calendar event page and to August 20 2016?

I have an iPhone.

I think that is a very smart way to do it and easy for those who understand how to do it.

I'm not one of them but would like to try to learn.

Any suggestions?

Hughie250

Where did you get those holders for the travel information? Did you order them or make them? The ducks are adorable!

I made them myself

I picked up some self laminating type the size of business cards at the dollar store. One pack of 8 and another pack of 50. This was in Canada. But I'm sure one of those type stores would have them and very reasonable.

Where did you get those holders for the travel information? Did you order them or make them? The ducks are adorable!

I made them myself

PnavE_81 I like the idea of the QR Code. Can I ask you which QR Code site you used to make them?

Were you able to get it to say to go to the geocaching calendar event page and to August 20 2016?

I have an iPhone.

I think that is a very smart way to do it and easy for those who understand how to do it.

Any suggestions?

Hughie250

Hey geocaching community,

I forgot to regist my travelbug, because I thought, it would be the 20. If July...

So is it still possible to sign in?

I don't wanna buyed travelbug for maybe nothing:-/

Thanks and happy hunting!

Hi MiffyPaula

From what I understand is that you had to register a travel bug other than the deadly duck ones by July 17. And it had to be an unactivated one. Then you can release it into a cache on July 20th to do the Duck Dash race.

You can still purchase the deadly ducks and they will be automatically entered into the race and you do up your mission statement and activate them but only release them on July 20th and they have to end up at a geocaching event somewhere on August 20 2016 anywhere. Would be good to read the rules and such at geocaching.com HQ Duck Dash. Hope this helps you.

I made them myself

PnavE_81 I like the idea of the QR Code. Can I ask you which QR Code site you used to make them?

I have an iPhone.

Any suggestions?

Hughie250

just use this: https://developers.google.com/chart/infographics/docs/qr_codes

if you google for create qr code, you will find lots of sites. If you check the image you eventually create most of them use googleapis.com

one example:

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=qr&chl=https://coord.info/TB80T8N&chs=360x360&choe=UTF-8&chld=L|2

change TB80T8N for your own tb code (I used the public code)

and this is the one for my bookmarklist with all events (will update it again tonight). If you want you can link to it as well

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=qr&chl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocaching.com%2Fbookmarks%2Fview.aspx%3Fguid%3D53006990-0489-4314-b753-41f9fac03d1c&chs=360x360&choe=UTF-8&chld=L|2

Edited by PnavE_81