Apology and Observations

Seth!

I'm not sure if it makes sense to intermingle these two things, but we'll find out.

First, the apology. To Jeremy, Mr. Snazz, and anyone else I've snarled at in these forums, I'm sorry. I'm not sorry about my feelings, but I am sorry because my expression of them was hurtful and counterproductive. Although I make a genuine effort to be a person of integrity, I can see that I still have (on occasion) a double standard. Sometimes I should just let it go! (Dang, I need to work on my New Year's Resolution #5!)

Now for the observations.

Did you know that you cannot edit or delete a post on the forums after it has been there for more than 24 hours? That doesn't give you much time to rethink your post! I'll have to remember that. icon_cool.gif

Just when you think a thread might start sinking to the bottom of the list, someone posts a reply! It would be nice if we could lock our own threads. Sort of a shut-the-lid-on-Pandora's-Box feature. (I realize that this idea probably has more flaws than merit.) icon_wink.gif

Why on Earth did my "what the heck" thread get a four-star rating? That's just crazy. (I see it's down to three now.) icon_confused.gif

I have a wish for Jeremy. This is meant to be constructive. I think that sometimes it would be prudent to make a distinction between opinion and administrative duty. Having been an admin, I realize that is a fine line. But this is my thought: When I posted the thread about e-mailing Pinecones, perhaps one of these choices would have been good--Post your opinion but leave the thread up and open--or--Delete the thread altogether and then send me a private e-mail explaining why, as an admin, you felt it was the appropriate action. In other words, sometimes the forums may not be the best place to exercise authority, just as they aren't the best place for me to stomp my foot. icon_rolleyes.gif

I am pretty opinionated. I'll try to be more careful with my posts. I hope, though, that we can all remember that saying that someone's idea is dumb is not the same thing as saying that the person is dumb. We shouldn't be afraid to share ideas and to get/give criticism. And we probably shouldn't use words like 'dumb'. icon_biggrin.gif

Geocaching.com, like the sport, has changed over the past two years. I think that perhaps we all need to think about our roles more carefully. Like E-bay, it really is a business-client relationship. It's not a club. And like E-bay, the site is only as successful as those who contribute to it--both with money and content--and those who operate it. As clients, have the right AND resposibility to present our concerns to the management in a constructive way. As good business practice, Groundspeak needs to take these suggestions seriously and politely. But I, for one, have not always done a good job presenting them as such. frog.gif

The sport of geocaching has given me a lot of satisfaction and I believe that I have done a decent job of giving back. None of the angst in (and out of) the forums is helping me sleep nor is it improving my game. I suspect this is true for many. Serenity Now! icon_smile.gif

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

To Jeremy, Mr. Snazz, and anyone else I've snarled at in these forums, I'm sorry. I'm not sorry about my feelings, but I am sorry because my expression of them was hurtful and counterproductive.

My original sad/crying face is now smiling. No one is dumb. No question is dumb. No one's feelings are dumb. Your sentiment that I quoted above rings true. Thank you Seth, for having the courage to say it. icon_smile.gif

--laurak of dasein

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

FYI, I'm not sure if its still an option or not, but there used to be a way for the initiator of a thread to lock the thread. You might check to see if that's available on the "what the heck" thread, since somebody is bound to ignore your request and post to it anyway. icon_wink.gif I've used this in the past when threads have gotten out of control and/or have become counterproductive.

Updated: I just checked one of my old threads, and i no longer see the option... maybe it was an error that I was able to use it, or maybe its only available for a limited period of time... oh well icon_smile.gif Maybe Jeremy can lock the thread. icon_biggrin.gif

AND I'LL SAY IT HERE. I completely freaked out before. Partly because of the severity of the times. (i've been there) and my flag on the house keeps getting wound up. You guys are both DA MAN although I've never met either of you. Maybe we can get together sometime and go by height. Who is going to whats turned out to be the DR. Isotope campout May 31st? It's where I'll unleash THE HAT. Well I've got to get back to Wild On with Jules and Brook. The Hawaiian Tropic girls and Power bar girls are battling in a water park. Indeed Bless America. Take care you guys, I hope everything works out.

" but sir, no one worry's about upseting a droid "

" Thats cause a droid don't pull peoples arms out of their sockets when they lose" LET THE WOOKIE WIN

[This message was edited by Sassquatch on March 26, 2003 at 12:55 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

+ Just when you think a thread might start sinking to the bottom of the list, someone posts a reply! It would be nice if we could lock our own threads. Sort of a shut-the-lid-on-Pandora's-Box feature. (I realize that this idea probably has more flaws than merit.) icon_wink.gif

You should be able to do this. At the very bottom of the topic should be a toolbar and one of the options is "Close". Let me know if its not there or if it won't let you close the topic.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

You should be able to do this. At the very bottom of the topic should be a toolbar and one of the options is "Close". Let me know if its not there or if it won't let you close the topic.

Is this supposed to be available indefinitly? I took a look at my ammo box thread to see, and I didn't have a close option... I have used it in the past, however. Maybe infopop has it on a timeout or something?

Or maybe their software is just buggy? Naaah.. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Is this supposed to be available indefinitly? I took a look at my ammo box thread to see, and I didn't have a close option... I have used it in the past, however. Maybe infopop has it on a timeout or something?

Or maybe their software is just buggy? Naaah.. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, I tried to instruct geostrider how to close his "personal security" thread and he couldn't find the close feature.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!