how do i search for the nearest trackables/geocoins?

BareChills

Caches will show what tractable inventory they have on the page. And there's also icons next to the name on the list.

But it's pointless as it shows what's been logged in but not logged out. A lot (and I mean a lot) of travkables go missing. People take them and never log them. So they show as being in a cache. Sometimes people don't log them into the cache, so they're in there but you dont know it. Sometimes people simply haven't logged them yet (not everbody logs caches instantly.)

So the only real way to know is by just finding caches. Otherwise you'll be let down.

You can make a PQ with the criteria "Have Travel Bugs". From those results look at the cache page and each trackable page and see if the trackable was recently dropped off and if any people have visited it since. When I first started geocaching I would seek out travel bugs because I liked to see where they had been, but it was too much work.

Your most recent find, https://coord.info/GC6677T , shows a trackable in the cache inventory.

Was it there?

B.

no it wasn't :( i guess that backs 'T.D.M.22's' comment up!

Yes, it's a very common situation. :(

You can mention in your log that the trackable is not in the cache.

If you like, you could also post a note on the trackable's page that it was not in the cache it's supposed to be.

Both the trackable owner and the cache owner can mark trackables as "missing". That will remove it from the cache's inventory.

2.6. Mark Missing - Trackable on page but not there physically.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=152

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Your most recent find, https://coord.info/GC6677T , shows a trackable in the cache inventory.

Was it there?

B.

no it wasn't :( i guess that backs 'T.D.M.22's' comment up!

Yes, it's a very common situation. :(

You can mention in your log that the trackable is not in the cache.

If you like, you could also post a note on the trackable's page that it was not in the cache it's supposed to be.

Both the trackable owner and the cache owner can mark trackables as "missing". That will remove it from the cache's inventory.

2.6. Mark Missing - Trackable on page but not there physically.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=152

B.

i guess this means that someone has taken it but not logged it as found? i will mark it as missing now, thanks for the info :)

i guess this means that someone has taken it but not logged it as found? i will mark it as missing now, thanks for the info :)

Either that, or it was stolen by muggles. Lots of folks think that only geocachers discover these locations, but that's not reality. Especially with caches hidden near places where kids hang out. I know of one cache where it was constantly emptied of all trackables for years.

If you are the cache owner or the trackable owner, you can mark it as "missing".

If you are not the cache owner or the trackable owner, all you can do is post a note in the trackable page and include the info in your log on the cache page.

B.

Another possibility is that somebody snagged it recently, but hasn't logged it YET.

When I cache with my GPSr instead of my phone, I don't get to log things until I get home, or even the next day.

I've put TBs into caches and had people pick them up later that day, with a 'GRAB' log out of my hands. This messes up the TB's history and mileage, and makes me look bad <pout>, like I'm not doing my job!</pout>

Rule of thumb: If I pick up a TB that isn't logged into a cache, I'll wait a few days to log it. A few weeks ago, I got one that was logged into a NEARBY cache. By looking at the history, I could see that the previous cacher had picked it up, physically dropped it into the cache in which I found it, but LOGGED IT into the nearby one! I contacted him and we worked it out.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

One would hope that a trackable dropped in a cache a month ago would be logged by now.

If I see a trackable dropped into a cache over a year ago, and nothing since then...I'm pretty certain it's been lost, stolen, or taken and forgotten about.

If it's only been a few days ago, then I wouldn't worry.

It took me a few years to admit defeat and mark my coin as "missing". Then, years later, the grabber found it in his backpack. I was thrilled! It was on its way again...

only to go back into the Trackable Black Hole.

B.