How do you start a Geotour?

Hi,

I've been tasked to set up a few geocaches around Moray (scotland) and whilst researching I discovered Geotours. I would love to set up a geotour around Moray, however I don't know how to start?!

I've contacted geocaching but had no reply yet (over a week ago).

Can any fellow cachers help me out here?!

Hi,

I've been tasked to set up a few geocaches around Moray (scotland) and whilst researching I discovered Geotours. I would love to set up a geotour around Moray, however I don't know how to start?!

A geotour will be set up with help from Groundspeak. The cost could be several thousands of dollars. It include more than the listing, but I won't get into that here.

In the end though they are just geocaches. The same as you find everyday. They could be existing caches added to the tour, or caches placed just for the tour. Could take you to historic, or other interesting places. Could be a prize of some sort for completing it. The thing is most of it has nothing to do with Groundspeak, lots to do with the people organising it (you)

• Funny 1

Hi,

An "official" geotour will cost big bucks.

While you're waiting to hear back from GS, maybe the Help Center section "GeoTours" might be worth perusing:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=28

B.

You could start by creating some caches in geographically and/or historically interesting places and getting them published. If you decide not to go the GeoTour route you could call them something else like a geotrail, etc. If some local authority like a visitors bureau develops interest and is willing to sponsor a GeoTour, existing caches can become part of it.

Mostly I would caution you start small and build up to the larger projects.

• Love 1

Hi,

Pup Patrol's link shows what's involved in a geotour.

Who "tasked" you to set something up?

If the local Government, might be a good idea to show 'em that link.

They may well just be happy with you placing a few caches of your own to have folks visit the area. ;)

If your caches, be careful with the wording, so cache pages don't come off as commercial, or having an agenda.

I'm glad you asked this question as I've just emailed Groundspeak for more information on starting a GeoTour in my area.  I'm curious about what costs are for so hopefully I'll find out.  It might be prohibitive as the tourism council here is very small and does not have a large budget.

Anyone else looking to start a geo tour and held back by the multi thousand dollar ongoing price tag, a geo trail is a great place to start. You can still have passports and coin rewards, but it lacks the expensive marketing and promoting of your geo trail. That is the biggest difference but the cost becomes ONLY the caches and rewards.

• Upvote 2