Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
The Perkins Family

Geocacher has my trackable for well over a month. What do i do?

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Hynz said:

While this is technically correct considering the actual flood of "took it" logs compared to those rare "Drop+Retrieve" combos back in the days it is a completely out of proportion statement that "Visits are just a replacement". They are a plague..

I applaud every trackable owner who insists that the trackable page gets not completely cluttered with meaningless "Visit/Took it" and "Discovery" logs.

 

+1

 

It is obnoxious to carry someone else's property without their express approval.  So I would absolutely never do that with other's property:

1) Visits that are robotic blank "Took It To"

AND

2) Carrying it to each cache (or more likely, not having the item on hand at all) for pages and pages of "Visit" logs, so it's more like a record of me than of the Trackable item. 

AND

3) Not releasing it ever.

AND

4) Requiring the Owner to ask what the deal is, since he is horrified and truly does not know my intentions. 

ALL of those together is what brings people into these Forums to ask what to do.  Important: it is not just the "Visit" log itself.  Everyone, please make a note of that distinction. If anyone comes here to complain that there were a couple of "Visits" with stories and photos, then it was dropped in a timely fashion, I would call them crazy.  A couple of "Visits" followed by prompt placement is fine. See 1 through 4, that is unacceptable.  You do not go onto other people's property, for the purpose of taking and keeping other people's property.  In full view, traceable to an owner, public info showing theft and even including sale of expensive collectible items for profit, thieves daring anyone do do something about it (because "they're worthless trinkets").  And passive aggressive weirdoes "Geocaching" for the purpose of messing with people, waiting till someone says anything, then "trashing it because you complain too much" or whatever. Dead wrong.  I will call them out every time.  Groundspeak should do the same, but they don't.  Go figure. :ph34r:

By default, all Geocachers shall properly log Retrieve and Drop, and place it in the next available cache, or back into the cache where it was found.  You know, a cache that's big enough. No excuses. Place it and log it.

Only if the TB page specifically allows deviations from that, can you do 1-4 above.  If someone "Loves it when that happens, it proves that the TB is alive" (or whatever), that info must be on that person's TB page. Again, "Visits" are allowed, see 1-4 above, which is not to be condoned.

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

 

+1

 

It is obnoxious to carry someone else's property without their express approval.  So I would absolutely never do that with other's property:

1) Visits that are robotic blank "Took It To"

AND

2) Carrying it to each cache (or more likely, not having the item on hand at all) for pages and pages of "Visit" logs, so it's more like a record of me than of the Trackable item. 

AND

3) Not releasing it ever.

AND

4) Requiring the Owner to ask what the deal is, since he is horrified and truly does not know my intentions. 

ALL of those together is what brings people into these Forums to ask what to do.  Important: it is not just the "Visit" log itself.  Everyone, please make a note of that distinction. If anyone comes here to complain that there were a couple of "Visits" with stories and photos, then it was dropped in a timely fashion, I would call them crazy.  A couple of "Visits" followed by prompt placement is fine. See 1 through 4, that is unacceptable.  You do not go onto other people's property, for the purpose of taking and keeping other people's property.  In full view, traceable to an owner, public info showing theft and even including sale of expensive collectible items for profit, thieves daring anyone do do something about it (because "they're worthless trinkets").  And passive aggressive weirdoes "Geocaching" for the purpose of messing with people, waiting till someone says anything, then "trashing it because you complain too much" or whatever. Dead wrong.  I will call them out every time.  Groundspeak should do the same, but they don't.  Go figure. :ph34r:

By default, all Geocachers shall properly log Retrieve and Drop, and place it in the next available cache, or back into the cache where it was found.  You know, a cache that's big enough. No excuses. Place it and log it.

Only if the TB page specifically allows deviations from that, can you do 1-4 above.  If someone "Loves it when that happens, it proves that the TB is alive" (or whatever), that info must be on that person's TB page. Again, "Visits" are allowed, see 1-4 above, which is not to be condoned.

To be fair, in this  one "issue" that reopened the thread...  The trackable sat from Oct to Feb, where it was picked up for it's first time. 

The person who retrieved it has been caching a while,  has trackables of their own, and doesn't appear to (really...) hold on to trackables for any great time. 

When they took it, they left a "Picked up on a lovely snowy day. We’ll move you on in a while." log with a picture.   

The cache area now has almost a quarter "Visited" with actions noted of maintenance issues.  Possible others don't have NM logs but still with issues.   I know someone would whine all day after finding that the trackable  was haphazardly placed in a piece of carp as well.

Pick one...

Edited by cerberus1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

To be fair, in this  one "issue" that reopened the thread...  The trackable sat from Oct to Feb, where it was picked up for it's first time. 

The person who retrieved it has been caching a while,  has trackables of their own, and doesn't appear to (really...) hold on to trackables for any great time. 

When they took it, they left a "Picked up on a lovely snowy day. We’ll move you on in a while." log with a picture.   

The cache area now has almost a quarter "Visited" with actions noted of maintenance issues.  Possible others don't have NM logs but still with issues.   I know someone would whine all day after finding that the trackable  was haphazardly placed in a piece of carp as well.

Pick one...

 

Great points! :)

Probably an important plan is to treat TBs with moderation.  Don't cause a bahzillion logs on others' TBs just to cause logs, and don't micromanage the handling of your own TBs.  There are a lot of things on the site that one can click.  Not everything needs to be clicked all the time. :cute:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

 

Great points! :)

Probably an important plan is t or a distance from the previous logo treat TBs with moderation.  Don't cause a bahzillion logs on others' TBs just to cause logs, and don't micromanage the handling of your own TBs.  There are a lot of things on the site that one can click.  Not everything needs to be clicked all the time. :cute:

I do "visit" trackables I am carrying with me, but not to EVERY cache, generally one if it's in a new location for me (new town, on a hike, etc) or a distance from the previous time I visited it someplace (to give it some mileage and show travel on the map).  If requested, I take pictures at the requested locations or situation (visiting landmarks, for example).  When I travel, I try to drop the trackables so they go to a brand new area.  And I generally don't have more than a half dozen or so of other's trackables to keep track of, I try to move them along in a timely manner.

I do have one I have kept for far too long, just waiting for an appropriate place to drop it. Soon....

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I do "visit" trackables I am carrying with me, but not to EVERY cache, generally one if it's in a new location for me (new town, on a hike, etc) or a distance from the previous time I visited it someplace (to give it some mileage and show travel on the map).  If requested, I take pictures at the requested locations or situation (visiting landmarks, for example).  When I travel, I try to drop the trackables so they go to a brand new area.  And I generally don't have more than a half dozen or so of other's trackables to keep track of, I try to move them along in a timely manner.

I do have one I have kept for far too long, just waiting for an appropriate place to drop it. Soon....

 

That's awesome! :D

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

 

Don't cause a bahzillion logs on others' TBs just to cause logs, 

 

I finally marked one of mine missing and locked it because the holder must have lost it and was using it to "visit" every geocache they found. B) I got no response when I attempted to contact them before locking it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have an "alternate" example.   

Last time I was faced with similar to the latest example that reopened this thread (holding on to a trackable),  a TO asked why I couldn't just place his in any cache, or "Visit" it to one of the other caches found so far, so it showed some movement.  A "race" of some sort IIRC .  It was one of three, found in a cache that sat, untouched for five months. If he won that race I'd be surprised.   Sheesh...   The "other caches" were all pill bottle hides (two in parking lots), and all had issues. CO was replacing or archiving them.  I placed it in a pos cache nearby at the TO's request,  and it went missing the next day (people looking for trackables...).  The other two at least moved to other states before they went missing.

I've only "visited" once because of an error I made, and never really thought that option was used often/popular (until reading the forums, and research).  Should've realized that the log wouldn't be created if it wasn't...     

   

 - I sorta recently completed a series with a bonus cache, and the bonus had two trackables in it.   The last to log it was last November, and I completed/found it the last day of February (lucked out with a two-day window in-between snow storms).  Snow storms every-other day since (three major already), and a good layer of ice thick enough that the handheld garret won't find a 30cal.  Decided it'll be a while before they're placed in an equal D/T hide (that are known to help a bit with longevity here).  Still holding it with no further logs, but emailed both TOs.   I'll probably be holding it, with no further logs, for over a month.  So far so good... 

 

Edited by cerberus1

Share this post


Link to post

In early May my two daughters and I placed three similar trackables into a single geocache.  The idea was that we wanted them to "race" to see whose could travel the most miles, or the furthest, or to the most countries.  We were excited because these were the first trackables we had released.

 

They were picked up by somebody who seems like a very nice man - he is local and he's always popping up on the local logs and we've even found some caches he has hidden - and initially I was really pleased they were picked up by such an experienced cacher and he promised to take care of them etc.  He even posted some photos.  Hello to this fella if you are reading this *waves*.

 

However, he still has all three trackables in his possession.  He has visited all three to a few geocaches and I'm alright with that in general but we are DESPERATE to see the trackables move on and separate and start their individual journeys, because that was why we released them!  They are not going to split up and go their own ways while they remain in the hands of one geocacher.

 

I know it hasn't been very long at all so I will try to be patient a little longer but then I will drop him a friendly note.  And if he is reading this - I'm sorry I mean no offence.  We would just so much love to see our little racers get racing down their separate paths.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4

×