Copy Tag

Creaturegecko

Hi

I found a Copy Tag today in a cache with nothing attached.

When I went to log the tracking code that was marked on it, it came up as unregistered.

There was also nothing in the logs for cache to say that it had been dropped there.

Not sure what I should do with it???

Hope someone can help!!!

Hi

When I went to log the tracking code that was marked on it, it came up as unregistered.

There was also nothing in the logs for cache to say that it had been dropped there.

Hope someone can help!!!

First, try other possible codes to be sure you haven't mistaken O/Q/0, or I/1, or S/5, or B/8, or Z/2. I think those are the most common possible causes of confusion.

Hi

Hope someone can help!!!

Of course, check for common mis-entries per NanCycle's post. Good suggestion!

After that I would hold on to it for a couple of weeks, maybe a month to see if the owner ever activates it and if the primary tag ends up in a cache. If so contact the trackable owner and let them know you have it. If not I would probably just discard it in the metal recycle bin. The confusion that could be created by having the both the primary and copy tag out in the wild at the same time is not worth the risk of activating it yourself and sending it out.

Edited by sporfrog
I would probably just discard it in the metal recycle bin. The confusion that could be created by having the both the primary and copy tag out in the wild at the same time is not worth the risk of activating it yourself and sending it out.

I'd probably do the same, after making changes to all possible combos in the code.

We tend to find 0 (zero) and O (oh) as the worst offender. Bs and 8s if handmade.

A simple slash through the zero would work well, but I used to catch heck from the other 2/3rds for striking across sevens too.

Thank you for all the replies.

I have checked the code again but still no luck :-(

Have also checked previous logs but they don't mention any travel bugs being left.

Will keep checking to see if it gets activated and if not will put in recycling bin as suggested.

Thanks again for all your help

Will keep checking to see if it gets activated and if not will put in recycling bin as suggested.

Removing Trackables from the game is a popular thing to do. So popular, a computerized cleanup system was proposed to keep up with the loss.

But instead of discarding other people's property, I'd suggest placing a Trackable that you can't figure out, into a cache. Maybe even place it in the one where you found it. A note log that you did so is a good idea.

Edited by kunarion

[but instead of discarding other people's property, I'd suggest placing a Trackable that you can't figure out, into a cache.

Yep, I agree.

An unactivated copy tag will fit well with all the cards, bottle tops, and other carp that settles in the bottom of caches.

Let the CO worry about it.

[but instead of discarding other people's property, I'd suggest placing a Trackable that you can't figure out, into a cache.

Yep, I agree.

An unactivated copy tag will fit well with all the cards, bottle tops, and other carp that settles in the bottom of caches.

Let the CO worry about it.

Hey, it got a Travel Bug to actually be found in a cache. I'm thinking of trying it! :anibad:

Thank you for all the replies.

I have checked the code again but still no luck :-(

Have also checked previous logs but they don't mention any travel bugs being left.

Thanks again for all your help

Did you leave anything anyway?

Not for the trackable (not a trade item), but just drop something in.

We do that a lot. Leave swag in empty caches.

Back when they didn't go missing immediately, whenever we found unactivated geocoins with no mention of placement, we assumed they were a swag item (as no real way to track back where they came from...), and traded for it (usually with a couple similar discs with holes in 'em).

I leave unactivated cerberus geocoins in caches that I had a good time with (usually very lengthy hikes).

If you dropped something in, you could trade for that unactivated copy tag, and do with it as you wish. :)

Edited by cerberus1

By 'do with it as you wish', I believe he is suggesting that you could activate it, maybe attach something to it, and release it as an activated travel bug. :ph34r:

No.

If one now owns a single, unactivated copy tag, that they traded for as swag, "do with as you wish" means just that. :)

Did one of the recent previous logs for the cache mention dropping a tag?

Hi

Hope someone can help!!!