Event consultation

I'm late to the party but after reading the posts here this particular amendment has stood out for me (apologies if this has already been raised):

Events will be published within a similar time period only if they are more than 20 miles apart (as the crow flies). Events closer to each other than 20 miles will only be published if the end time of the first is more 10 hours before the start time of the next.

This seems prohibitive.

Earlier in the year, for the leap day souvenir I had the option of two nearby events to attend. As the crow flies, the events were less than 15 miles from each other, however Event A would have taken me almost two hours travel time (return) but Event B took 10 minutes. There isn't a giant body of water between the two or anything, it's just one of the joys of living in rural England.

Had these guidelines been in place at the time, I would not have been able to take part if Event A was published first, barring Event B.

I suppose my main query is why is it 'as the crow flies'? I know some of us are getting a little too much into GoT these days but the majority of us would identify as not crows. Surely the actual travel distance or time would be far more relevant and just as easy for reviewers to verify?

Edited by huskydays

I'd still like to know why some of the side events at the forthcoming North Wales Mega now have to be unofficial when it's been stated that the new rules exclude Mega events. This will be my first Mega, and I've booked the whole week off, including the following Sunday and Monday, to attend the events. If |I can't log them as attended, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered, and it makes it less likely I'll go to Devon next year.

I'm not a reviewer, just someone who has read a lot on this topic!

Regarding distance as the crow flies - I assume this is because it is simple, and because crow flies distance is what is used for cache proximity as well.

And regarding Mega events - that is just a bad coincidence in timing. Reviewers clarified that the new UK rules don't apply to Mega Events. Megas have guidelines for Side Events already. These don't say anything about limiting the amount of side events, but it does say they are published "at the discretion of reviewers or Geocaching HQ". I understand that one of the rejected events (Earth Cache one) was seen as a cache hunt and disallowed for that reason. But others were rejected simply as there was too many.

(edited to clarify)

Edited by redsox_mark

I'm not a reviewer, just someone who has read a lot on this topic!

Regarding distance as the crow flies - I assume this is because it is simple, and because crow flies distance is what is used for cache proximity as well.

And regarding Mega events - that is just a bad coincidence in timing. Reviewers clarified that the new UK rules don't apply to Mega Events. Megas have guidelines for Side Events already. These don't say anything about limiting the amount of side events, but it does say they are published "at the discretion of reviewers or Geocaching HQ". I understand that one of the rejected events (Earth Cache one) was seen as a cache hunt and disallowed for that reason. But others were rejected simply as there was too many.

(edited to clarify)

I'd never looked at the mega side event guidelines, not having needed to , so that was interesting reading, thank you.

I've twice participated in a CITO on the same day and site as a mega, it seemed a way to do something good for the local area, and a pleasant way to ocuppy an hour or two for someone like me who dislikes caching en mass, and does not possess the shopping gene.

Poor froggy proof reading tho'

"Unofficial side events (not hosted by the main event organizers) on the days before and/or after the Giga-/Mega-Event day may only be published, if they don't conflict from official side events."

That's conflict with or possibly 'detract from ' Tsk tsk.

"Unofficial side events (not hosted by the main event organizers) on the days before and/or after the Giga-/Mega-Event day may only be published, if they don't conflict from official side events."

As there don't appear to be any official (my emphasis) side events on the Sunday/Monday after the Mega, I wonder if I'll be allowed to organise an event or two of my own, just to keep up a daily streak of events and make it worth while booking the extra couple of nights?