Finding Disabled Caches

Geoshwin

I like to hide caches (500+) more than find them. But it requires a lot of maintenance. Let's say I disable a handful caches waiting maintenance. When I go to replace them, they don't show up in a GC search on my iPhone because they are disabled, and I can't always remember exactly where they wee originally hidden if there is no obvious landmark. I used to be able to go to GC.com, click Hide a Cache, and the list of my disabled caches would come up. I'd select the one I was looking for, Enable it, then it would show up on my iPhone so I could find the correct spot. The new app doesn't allow for that. The only solution I've found so far involves enabling all my caches from my PC, then going out and finding them on my phone app.

Any suggestions for on the fly, iPhone ability to enable and find caches locations?

You didn't mention it in your post, but I'm assuming you are using the official Geocaching-R app? It would be helpful in forum posts to mention which app when saying "my phone app".

Anyway, I'm not sure if iPhone works the same way, but here is an option that works in the Android app:

Search -> GC Code -> enter code for Disabled cache

This will bring up the cache listing, with no indication that it's actually disabled, and you can then Navigate to it and open it up in the Map view.

I'm not sure if this is intended app behavior, but might be a functional workaround until the app is updated to accommodate the display of Disabled caches - if that ever happens.

Or you could use a GPS and keep your caches saved on it. Or you could just navigate using the co-ords like you would finding a mystery cache.

I do use a GPS when I hide new caches. I like the phone app (the original) for generally getting close to a cache. I know many cachers cringe to read that!

You didn't mention it in your post, but I'm assuming you are using the official Geocaching-R app? It would be helpful in forum posts to mention which app when saying "my phone app".

Anyway, I'm not sure if iPhone works the same way, but here is an option that works in the Android app:

This will bring up the cache listing, with no indication that it's actually disabled, and you can then Navigate to it and open it up in the Map view.

I'm not sure if this is intended app behavior, but might be a functional workaround until the app is updated to accommodate the display of Disabled caches - if that ever happens.

Currently when I search for the disabled cache, the new app says the coords are invalid (because they're not active). Grrr!

Currently when I search for the disabled cache, the new app says the coords are invalid (because they're not active). Grrr!

That happens when you enter the GC Code? When I enter "GC47QXR" into the GC Code search box, then it will pull up your 'Climb Aboard...' cache on my Android. Maybe the iPhone and Android apps function differently.

Really? The Geocaching app doesn't show disabled caches?

Correct. At least with the old (now "Classic") app you could work around this problem and view disabled or archived caches either by following a coord.info link or searching for the GC code directly. In the new app, searching for a disabled or archived cache by GC code gives the response "Invalid GC code. Please check the code and try again.", which is a blatantly-incorrect response. This was pointed out very soon after the new app was rolled out, so the developers are aware of the issue, but I guess it's pretty far down the very long list of things to add/fix in the new app.

That happens when you enter the GC Code? When I enter "GC47QXR" into the GC Code search box, then it will pull up your 'Climb Aboard...' cache on my Android. Maybe the iPhone and Android apps function differently.

Hmmm ... that produced "no results found." But the Pocket Query suggestion worked. Thanks!

Not working with my iPhone, but the PQ suggestion below worked. Thanks!