Eastside cachers

Pepper

I've been watching you folks play the Hot Potato game down south. It's a bit out of my range.... in fact it's out of a lot of our range to get down there are participate.

I've been considering setting up such a game for some time. In fact I have the perfect TB all ready to go.

Mr Potato Head

What do you think of a north end variant? Slightly different rules (That 48 hour thing has GOT to go! :unsure: ).

Should I wait until the south end game is completed, or would it be better to have both games going at once. What about borders? SnoCo vs KingCo? Areacode 206 Vs AreaCode 425? Other Suggestions?

I'd say wait for the first game to finish out. I see some rule changes that should be implemented, modified and clarified and they are getting hammered out as we go. It won't change the existing game play, but it can affect future games.

And for the record, it will help if there is a seasoned player that ends up on both sides of the border instead of being lopsided the way it is right now. That way neither has an experience advantage against the other.

I'd say wait for the first game to finish out. I see some rule changes that should be implemented, modified and clarified and they are getting hammered out as we go. It won't change the existing game play, but it can affect future games.

And for the record, it will help if there is a seasoned player that ends up on both sides of the border instead of being lopsided the way it is right now. That way neither has an experience advantage against the other.

Lopsided?!?!?! We have Travis! :unsure: I only got out yesterday after a MONTH.

I was thinking the experience was all on the North's side...

Lopsided?!?!?! We have Travis! :unsure: I only got out yesterday after a MONTH.

Game experience is all on the south. That's what I was referring to. As for the north experience on the game... we're all newbies.

This is what... the 2nd year being played here?

I'm not whining. It's simply an observed suggestion to balance out the game experience between the teams until enough people have had the chance to get involved. That's where the true strategy will be.

e.g.

Right now, it's like pitting an experienced chess player against a newbie chess player. The game skill level in the game is so lopsided the newbie is bound to lose. Does the newbie learn? You betcha! Was it fair? According to the rules, yes. According to sportsmanship... no. You match the newbie skills with like skills to make it a fair game.

Lopsided?!?!?! We have Travis! :blink: I only got out yesterday after a MONTH.

Game experience is all on the south. That's what I was referring to. As for the north experience on the game... we're all newbies.

This is what... the 2nd year being played here?

I'm not whining. It's simply an observed suggestion to balance out the game experience between the teams until enough people have had the chance to get involved. That's where the true strategy will be.

e.g.

Right now, it's like pitting an experienced chess player against a newbie chess player. The game skill level in the game is so lopsided the newbie is bound to lose. Does the newbie learn? You betcha! Was it fair? According to the rules, yes. According to sportsmanship... no. You match the newbie skills with like skills to make it a fair game.

I didn't play last year. :unsure:

Not sure I'm really playing this year either.... :D

Oh hey, I played last year and so did RomulusNR! (We usually cache and scheme together, though).

Comparing last year's game to this year's game is like apples to oranges though... because of the way the boundaries were drawn (I-90), I was one of many members of the South team and towards the end of the game there was only one member on the North team making moves. Because of the way the rules work, if you're alone on a team it's an easy victory for the other side. :unsure:

So... last year's game was fun and all, but this year's game is worth a lot more in experience points for everybody involved. I think that's the key to the game being fun and successful -- the more the merrier.

As I was waiting for a new computer in my office I decided that Hot Potato means get rid of it. What if the playing field was such that the spud could be moved anywhere in the boudaries, still have a hold time for team placing bug, and score based on number of placements. Everybody gets a better chance to play because who knows where in the field the bug will appear?

NomadRaven Posted on Jan 12 2004, 10:55 AM

Oh hey, I played last year and so did RomulusNR! (We usually cache and scheme together, though).

Ah - my mistake and I apologize for my assertion here and the HP forum. :unsure:

I thought I had noted all of last year's players.

We need to lean on you guys a little bit more for guidance then. :blink:

Should I wait until the south end game is completed, or would it be better to have both games going at once. What about borders? SnoCo vs KingCo? Areacode 206 Vs AreaCode 425? Other Suggestions?

I've thought about a 206 vs. 425 varaiant (well, not like that, but as an Eastside vs. Seattle), but decided that there's just way too many 425ers, and it wouldn't be a fair battle.

Similarly, I've though about East Sound vs. West Sound, but again, the population center would give the West Sound folks a major advantage.

Are there enough Snohomish county cachers to do a King vs. Snohomish?

Maybe another north vs. south, with I-90 as the dividing line, would work well. We just didn't have a ton of caches or people in December 2002.

Or maybe a full state competition, east vs. west, with the Pacific Crest Trail as the dividing line.

Or maybe three teams: King, Pierce, and Kitsap?

Or Portland vs. Seattle, with US-12 as the dividing line?

Or maybe three teams: King, Pierce, and Kitsap?

I thought about the 3-way and could be very interesting. I think the limitation you're going to find on this game is the driving distance involved unless there's a good spread of players on each team represented on both sides of the dividing line.

I was also thinking of some other variations of the game which could be played on a smaller scale and get the local cachers involved. Considering you're the game master right now, I'll cobble together the ideas and send them to you for consideration.

I've been watching you folks play the Hot Potato game down south. It's a bit out of my range.... in fact it's out of a lot of our range to get down there are participate.

I've been considering setting up such a game for some time. In fact I have the perfect TB all ready to go.

Mr Potato Head

What do you think of a north end variant? Slightly different rules (That 48 hour thing has GOT to go! :bad: ).

I'm with RWW! I would be up for a Snohomish vs King game in the future. Even if I decided to participate in the current game I have to play for the South since the first cache I found in the play zone was in Pierce Co! Pretty wacky for a Sno-Co cacher!

Wow, it's my 1yr anniversary to this sport (hobby) That sure went fast. 160 found in 1year. I wonder what my total will be for this year. Hopefully at least half of that . I should buy myself a Cake or something hehe.

Cooperdog happy one year anniversary, I remember you helping me out almost a year ago when we arrived in Bellevue.

I think you were the second person to help me out via emails. :bad:

Pepper

My work moved from Auburn to North Boeing Field B)

A different route to cache; Bothell is between NBF and North Redmond?

Cool that means a much shorter drive time and more time to spend with your beautiful wife! B)

and no I not fixen to ask ya for something. hehehe

Pepper

Ok East Siders WAKE UP!! :unsure:

One of the WA finest reached 400 today, who you ask?

Well it was our WSGA President "CachinCin."

Pepper

Congrats, Cindy!!!! What did you get it on?

Mark put out a new box today...got FTF just a little while ago:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0-40836C13F660}

Those littel LED flashlights with the hat clips work pretty well. Battery life could be better but it runs on two AAA batteries. Got it at REI.

Jeff and I went out late afternoon/early evening to grab a couple of caches. Number 400 was Seth & Adrian's Steel Mill II. We got there just at sunset, so the pond was really beautiful.

Cin

Great choice! Yeah, it would be beautiful with the sunset. The original sTeel mill was just my second find so it was fun to do the new version some weeks back. Funny not to see the old dock there though. The original cache was in the water at the end.

EGH! Way to go on FTF for MA hide! I still haven't recieved my notification from skydiver! My attention seems to have been misdirected to far south!

I get to take a break and spend the weekend near Auburn running Chester in a dog agility competion! Seesh, I'm bored with nothing to do!!! :unsure:

EGH! Way to go on FTF for MA hide!  I still haven't recieved my notification from skydiver!  My attention seems to have been misdirected to far south!

I get to take a break and spend the weekend near Auburn running Chester in a dog agility competion!  Seesh, I'm bored with nothing to do!!! :unsure:

Interesting! So do you have all your dogs in competitions? My old science teacher in highschool was really into showing dogs and did quite well.

skydiver???? Not sure what you mean there.

Edited by evergreenhiker!

EGH, skydiver has a special alert e-mail service -- it alerts you when a new cache has been approved. Usually, it happens within hours, sometimes a full day. I can't remember if I subscribed on his store site (skydivergear.com) or somewhere else.

I don't think I've gotten a new cache alert in a few days. Perhaps his service is down?

Cin