Eastside cachers

Pepper

Baker area always gets a lot of snow. In some years Artist Point stays completely snowed in. A general rule of thumb to follow, more north=more snow=later suitable hiking time. (assuming you are in hte mountains).

Regarding Dream Lake, I never said that it was impossible...just very hard early in the year. Later in the year is definitely the time to go, but you can get up there earlier if willing to risk more danger like Criminal did.

Edited by evergreenhiker!
Regarding Dream Lake, I never said that it was impossible...just very hard early in the year. Later in the year is definitely the time to go, but you can get up there earlier if willing to risk more danger like Criminal did.

No you didn't say it, but a few others did. B)

Patch the SuperDog says, “Arrrrgh ruff ruff arg woof highhhh. Woof ruff argh argh woooooooof argh arrrrrrrgh woof woof ruff. Whieeeene arf arf gruff woof arggh argh arf arf woof gruuuf ”

Translation: “Dream Lake cache is not dangerous. Dad, who dragged me up there and went the wrong dadgum way, very dangerous. I don’t care about the cache, I just like the smells.”

b94afa94-df30-4a1a-999f-b115af20d9c4.jpg

Man, if I didn't have all these friends getting married back in the midwest this summer, I could use my vacation time to do a week of backpacking/caching in Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie and get these all.

It's never to early to prepare for the SGPS expanding to WA. B)

Does anything need to be moved in light of the Tent City the county wants to put up at the 160th Street Park and Ride?

GC1443 looks to be close.... for some reason I havn't gone after that one yet.

Probably. That area would be a good area for the homeless. Nice bit of land between the roads. I think C and A own the Freeway cache. They aren't too active anymore, but they did cache a bit earlier this year.

Does anything need to be moved in light of the Tent City the county wants to put up at the 160th Street Park and Ride?

GC1443 looks to be close.... for some reason I havn't gone after that one yet.

Looks like CandA archived the cache on May 1st.

The next closest (half a mile away) is "Be Prepared!" by Kodak's4 and Seth!. It's probably far enough away to be fine.

cin

The story of The Song of the Wood Thrush cache.

A number of years back, early on in the era of Geocaching, one of the ‘first best’ caches I found was one by Steam. The cache was called Plane Cents and was near the Anacortes Airport. This cache fits in the best category due to the fact that it was the ‘first best’ antibox I ever found, and still ranks up there because of the creativity and quality and thought that went into it. It was a foreign coin exchange, I suppose one of the first, but what made it great was that it was a nest in a tree. A handmade nest, I’m sure, with an unusual nest egg in it. The egg was a bundle of coins and log wrapped up in purple paisley fabric and tied together in the shape of an egg. Now, this cache was plundered, and plundered again and the cacher gave up the sport of Geocaching rather angered.

Now jump ahead a couple of years. I was reading a book on birds and migration. It described how starlings will take over an active nest, kicking out the eggs, and making the nest its own. Cowbirds, being even nastier, will kick out the owners eggs, lay their own eggs it their place, and the nest owner ends up raising the cowbirds brood rather then their own. Now crows simply steal and eat the eggs: I was reading in my bird migration book about how there’s been a sever decline in the songbird population due to deforestation and forest fragmentation in the wintering grounds, the breeding grounds and on the migration routes themselves. The book was saying how exposed the nests are. That crows hunt nests along the edges of the forest but won’t penetrate into deeper forest. I put the book down and went out back to weed my small corn patch, and along came this big old crow and landed in a small cedar behind the fence. A moment later out of that same tree a robin came complaining. Then out of the heart of the branches came the crow with a robin’s egg in it’s beak. Off he flew with the mama robin chattering behind. I’d never witnessed this before nor had I known that crows even did that before I’d read about it in my book mere moments before. One of those bizarre things.

Now jump ahead to the present. I originally place the “Song” cache back in the trees, off the cemetery property, but when doing so someone showed up in the woods and not being seen I quickly left. I roamed the cemetery for a bit and came across a secluded section that also had a bit of a birders theme to it, as there were wind chimes and feeders, and bird houses on and near the graves. I thought my nest would fit well here and I found some ginkgo trees well away from any individual graves and I attached my nest to it with 6 plastic eggs and capsule in it. We had a windstorm that night so I checked on the cache and 3 eggs were missing. I glued 6 eggs back in the nest with silicon adhesive, but the next day the eggs were gone and the capsule on the ground. Humm. I repeated my fix, I don’t know how many times, but the same thing happened. By now I’d figured out it was those crows hanging about. I’d fix the cache, and someone would find it hours latter and it had been partly or fully robbed. I put rock instead of eggs in and again the same would happen. So my solution was to sew the eggs into the nest with monofiliment line. They again messed with it, but the eggs remained. I had anchored the capsule to the branch with fishline and placed it in the cache, but the problem remained that the capsule was always going to get pulled out and dangle from the branch. I didn’t want this, and by this time I was feeling guilty about miss-use of the cemetery and my frequent visits, and I disabled the cache and pulled it.

I have since realized that Steam’s cache Plane Cents May have been robbed, but not by cachers. Yes, those darn crows!

Now I was going to archive this cache, but I’ve realized it can be saved if I return it to the first site I had set out for it. We’ll see how it goes at it’s soon to be new location.

This brought up some verses from a song by David Rovics,

my favorite folk singer

And I hope that in my lungs

There might be the strength one day

That you might gather other sparrows

And chase the crows away

(Love song for a Latina sparrow)

I'm currently in Montana. will be back Friday. I put a box out by my folks new home...on banks of Cut Bank Creek. Lots of Marmots around...at least I think that's what they are. River looks good for fishing, but is currently closed. Anyhow, it's still in the process of being approved. No caches found...we didn't stop on our way over. But at least one was planted. I believe this will be the first cache in Cut Bank...there is a locationless nearby but those don't count in my book.

Title of cache is Ruins of Cut Bank

Edited by evergreenhiker!
Pepper

YES! Happy Birthday to Pepper today. Sunday may 9th.

AND to you MA! :lol: Were you caching when you got your present?

Thanks guys. And a happy birthday to all those that have one this year!

WD No I wasn't caching I was attending a seminar. I didn't have change for the lot so I took off to get some only to find a spot on the street only a block away. I was surprised to find no time limitation signs. Little did I know there was one about 40 feet in front of me behind 3 trees (yep I took a picture).

I also found out the parking people can give you a ticket for expired plates. The DMV didn't send me a renewal notice. Yeah I know it's always someone else's fault. Whine whine whine.

evergreenhiker! Posted: Apr 24 2004, 10:42 PM 

Hiking and Etrex Vistas!

QUOTE (TotemLake @ Apr 24 2004, 12:27 PM)

QUOTE (Shunra @ Apr 23 2004, 11:33 PM)

TL, I don't think I'm in need of a straightjacket, but if you hide one well enough, I may try to come and get it.   

LOL - Don't count it out. 

I'm planning on a series of caches to be placed sometime this summer. It could easily end up in one of those. 

Great TL, I'm looking forward to doing 'em! 

Well I inadvertantly received pseudo permission to place a cache at a park I'm planning on hiding a cache at. I ran into a Parks employee and asked him about the park and its history. I mentioned geocaching and he was aware of it. He's cool with the idea considering most of us CITO and the park really is quite clean now since the major cleanup it received about a year ago.

Now onto the page design and name considerations. B)

Edited by TotemLake
evergreenhiker! Posted: Apr 24 2004, 10:42 PM 

Hiking and Etrex Vistas!

QUOTE (TotemLake @ Apr 24 2004, 12:27 PM)

QUOTE (Shunra @ Apr 23 2004, 11:33 PM)

TL, I don't think I'm in need of a straightjacket, but if you hide one well enough, I may try to come and get it.   

LOL - Don't count it out. 

I'm planning on a series of caches to be placed sometime this summer. It could easily end up in one of those. 

Great TL, I'm looking forward to doing 'em! 

Well I inadvertantly received pseudo permission to place a cache at a park I'm planning on hiding a cache at. I ran into a Parks employee and asked him about the park and its history. I mentioned geocaching and he was aware of it. He's cool with the idea considering most of us CITO and the park really is quite clean now since the major cleanup it received about a year ago.

I'm watchijng for it!

Is that where I'm supposed to look for that straightjacket, or is that for another time?

chuckling - There'll be no straightjacket in this one. It has a purposeful theme to it and crazy ain't it. B)B)

It's nothing particularly challenging. Just an interesting location. It'll be a 1.5/1 and I have to explain a couple of things when I submit before it gets approved - if it does get approved. Otherwise, a new location will need to be sought.

Edited by TotemLake

Where in the world was Lucy & Pepper this weekend?

This track may not be as pretty and colorful as Criminal's track in "The Weekend Trekkers Society, "IT" is more fun with someone else!" thread but it is all kind of crazy!

track.jpg

Tracks that make a person say hmmm.....?

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

The Peanut Butter Brigade would like to invite all of you to the Moun10Tyke Event. It's a few weeks away, but we want to make sure you get it on your calendars.

We're keeping things simple -- there will be cake, some beverages, and a nice relaxing time in a shady park. Cross over to the east side of Lake Washington, spend the day working on evil micros, and drop in to say congratulations to Moun10bike!