Eastside cachers

Pepper

One of these days, we eastside folks are gonna have to go down and do some of Criminal's legendary night caches.

When we were up north at EraSeek's Walk the Big Dike cache, we talked about a Gig Harbor outing. I'd be up for that!

Me too, me too.

I think a rope is in order for his new one.

Pepper

One of these days, we eastside folks are gonna have to go down and do some of Criminal's legendary night caches.

When we were up north at EraSeek's Walk the Big Dike cache, we talked about a Gig Harbor outing. I'd be up for that!

Me too, me too.

Pepper

Yup!

Me too, me too.

Pepper

Yup!

Nope.

Me too, me too.

Pepper

Yup!

Nope.

Jet pack?

I'm going to have to get one of those rockets to jet myself up to ridgetops!

I just know that someday we'll be standing below Criminal's cache, looking up at a crumbly hill just waiting for a mudslide, and Pepper's going to say...."but Cindy, it's only 300 feet. We can bushwhack our way up." :)

I was down in the Puyallup area today, dropping off the Hot Potato, and I really enjoyed the scenery. It would have been better on a clear day, but I'm going to make my way back down there for a day of caching soon.

I haven't ever visited Gig Harbor -- would love to get down there for some fun caching!

Cin

I'd like to join in on a Gig Harbor run. I've been in that area before but never in a cache mode.

Count me in!

Og

CACHE MACHINE! :)

120391_800.jpg

Somewhat different than most. Instead of Gig Harbor, it's a Criminal Route ;)

(I left out the two in the Olympics that are probably not reachable at this time of year)

Note that there are three NIGHT only caches in this route

I'd like to join in on a Gig Harbor run.  I've been in that area before but never in a cache mode.

Count me in!

Og

CACHE MACHINE! ;)

Somewhat different than most. Instead of Gig Harbor, it's a Criminal Route :)

(I left out the two in the Olympics that are probably not reachable at this time of year)

Actually there are five night only caches, Mission One, Two, Three, Three Alpha, and Four.

Edited by Criminal
I'd like to join in on a Gig Harbor run.  I've been in that area before but never in a cache mode.

Count me in!

Og

CACHE MACHINE! ;)

120391_800.jpg

Somewhat different than most. Instead of Gig Harbor, it's a Criminal Route :)

RWW how about a list of GC numbers for that route.

Sounds like big fun, so let start getting input of a date and time.

I wonder how many of the night caches we will be able to complete?

I just took a look and I've only done ONE Criminal cache, that's totally unexeptable!

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius
I have only done one Criminal Cache and it was totally acceptable!

Harrassment, by Criminal okay.... the local thugs, no way!

I was at the trailhead near NC3 and NC3A getting Night 3 back together (part of it was annihilated by some heavy lawn mowing equipment) and there was some punk who cruised by a couple times checking out my car. He may have simply been looking to see if one of his buddies was hanging out, as this is also a teen make out spot. Nonetheless, he never saw me or how close I was, and Patch is hard to see in the daytime.

There is no sheriffs department coverage at night in this part of the county, except for life and death emergencies.

When I got home I added the Special notice at the bottom of both cache pages. Unfortunately, NC3 is almost as long as a novel now. I’ll be working on that.

RWW how about a list of GC numbers for that route.

Sounds like big fun, so let start getting input of a date and time.

I wonder how many of the night caches we will be able to complete?

I just took a look and I've only done ONE Criminal cache, that's totally unexeptable!

Pepper

Hmmm, when I posted that I was halfway joking ;) , but now thinking about it........

I'll post the GC numbers when I get home. My main server at home is down so my ability to post web pages etc is somewhat limited until I am able to resolve that problem.

The route will obviously need to be revised to worry about tides and daylight. I'm unsure as to how to handle the night caches, since thats 1/3 of the route.

Yes, I remember that one, ;) I was worried there might have been another. I'm so sorry for the mess! I wondered why they had so many signs in the parking lot. Should I add a warning to that cache page in case anybody else misses the signs too?

I wouldn't single out your cache in particular! Just a reminder in this forum that it is very risky to leave anything of value in a car... anytime ...anywhere!

If you figure the timing so that you are bagging Sigh2926 at dusk, you can bag NC3A on the way back to the trailhead, as you will pass the double reflectors on the beach on the way out. Then you can hit NC3 across the street from the trailhead when/if you make it off the beach.

There are some awesome BlindUmpire ones in town too. DO NOT miss those! Blueheron and Ajetpilot have some nice ones that would be a crime to ignore.

Remember to have FRS02 on for the caches!

If this Gig Harbor run was scheduled for Feb. 21, we could attend the Peninsula Cache-In event...

And by Monday I would be divorced :)

My wifes^H^H^H^H^H 24th Anniversary..... I don't think I'll be allowed out of town that weekend.

Also, I don't really want this to be on the scale of a regular cache machine. Travis does those, not me :) And a darn good job he does too!

If I recall, Gig Harbor is on Travis's list for sometime in the future....... 2099 I beleive ;)

If I recall, Gig Harbor is on Travis's list for sometime in the future....... 2099 I beleive ;)

Actually, it's January 8, 2005. Not that I'd put many of these on the route anyway, since they're puzzles, or night-only, or multis, or too time consuming.

Or maybe just 'cause I'm cranky. Stupid potato.

If I recall, Gig Harbor is on Travis's list for sometime in the future....... 2099 I beleive  :)

Actually, it's January 8, 2005. Not that I'd put many of these on the route anyway, since they're puzzles, or night-only, or multis, or too time consuming.

Or maybe just 'cause I'm cranky. Stupid potato.

Travis is afraid of the bridge. He hasn't been on the clean side of it since I can't remember when. ;)

See why I'm sitting this potato(e) thing out this time? :)

I got a question. I don't want to launch a new topic so I will ask here. What is the FRS channel being used for Geocaching now? I know it was originally 3 locally but from what I've seen lately most are using channel 2 now nationally. So are we using Channel 2 or 3? (not that I've ever heard anything but static anyway...)

From the freqently asked questions of Geocaching.com

"Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout. "

Ok, there is a potential problem with doing the Crimnal Cache Machine next weekend.

The beach caches require low tide to gain access. The new night cache requires both low tide and darkness.

Next weekend I show the low tides as being:

Saturday: 12:09 +6.2 Feet

23:53 -0.7 Feet

Sunday they are about a half hour later.

Anyone up for some Midnight Caching?

On the other hand, Tomorrow (Saturday)

06:31 +8.1

19:25 +0.9

7:25 is much more reasonable!

Criminal; How low should the tide be for decent access? The morning 8.1 foot low tide isn't that much lower than the 9.8 foot high tide that preceeds it ;)

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

As long as it is not all the way in, you should be able to access the caches even though the low tide is still hours away. The problem stems from the trees that have blown or fallen on the beach. It's easier to go around them than through.

It's more important to make sure you're out there while the tide is on its way out, rather than in. If you get all the hell way down the beach to Sigh2926 while the tide is coming in, you may find yourself getting wet on the way back.

If I owned a chainsaw I would clean up the beach a little myself. I could also build a rudementary ladder down to the beach, knocking at least a full star off the terrain rating.

As long as it is not all the way in, you should be able to access the caches even though the low tide is still hours away. The problem stems from the trees that have blown or fallen on the beach. It's easier to go around them than through.

It's more important to make sure you're out there while the tide is on its way out, rather than in. If you get all the hell way down the beach to Sigh2926 while the tide is coming in, you may find yourself getting wet on the way back.

If I owned a chainsaw I would clean up the beach a little myself. I could also build a rudementary ladder down to the beach, knocking at least a full star off the terrain rating.

I pretty much gathered most of that from previous logs, but that 8.1 foot low tide looks like it's probably not a low tide at all.

If done this weekend, 5PM would probably be a decent time to hit the beach, next week that time moves to 10PM.

Pepper wanted a list of GC Numbers for that route:

Here they are AS I ORIGINALLY POSTED IT

The order will obviously need to change to accomodate the sun, moon, and tides. Some of the night missions may need to be skipped and done another day.

01. GCC959 - Tall Tales

02. GC9D48 - Chambers Creek

03. GCGDAQ - Titlow Beach Park II

04. GCBD69 - Tactical Night Mission 3

05. GCHHHG - Tactical Night Mission 3 - Alpha

06. GCHJW8 - Sigh2926

07. GC18EB - Galloping Gertie

08. GC995C - Cushman Trail 95000 Inches

09. GCE841 - Walk the Fallen Log

10. GCGT73 - Adam Tallman Nature Park Trail

11. GCB7A8 - Tactical Night Mission 1

12. GCBAE5 - Tactical Night Mission 2