Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Another weekend traffic update -- looks like the Evergreen Bridge (520) will be closed this weekend, from Friday night to Monday morning. You can find out more here:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/jun03/EvergreenFloatingBridgeClosure.htm

Cin

Thanks for the update. Fiddler's cache will just have to wait a few days. This time I'll bring binoculars!

Oh EGH your sure right and the only reason you beat was cause some thing-a-ma-gig on our server was messed up. I've had NO internet for over 10 hours. dadgum I hate it when he thinks he's gotta fix something that as far as I can tell is NOT broke. Lets see he(Shane/husband) said something about a Ray-Controller and our Domain and Server this and Server that! YUCK! Anyway at least I'm back on line and about all that other stuff I'm not feeling the effects just yet.

Ok I have to go SeaTec this morning to put one of twins on an airplane today she's headed back to Cali for two weeks. I'm wonder just how much time I should allow for driving and waiting in lines.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

It looks like Jeremy has plugged the hole where you could see the un-approved caches if you knew the link. If just get the seek page For EGH new cache.

Mark

Thanks for pointing that out...here's the text:

Banana Ridge Scramble

[Click to temporarily disable]

by evergreenhiker! [profile]

User's Web Page

This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved, it will be listed on the site.

N 47° 26.530 W 121° 35.454 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 606240 N 5255265

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

also download nearest placenames.

Read about waypoint downloads

In Washington, United States [state map]

Hidden: 6/27/2003

Use waypoint: GCGBYE (what's this?)

Make this page print-friendly (no logs)

Note:To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

(ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Difficulty: Terrain:

Park at Mason Lake/Mt. Defiance Trailhead.

This box is for strong hikers. This 3200-ft elevation gain, 6-plus mile RT hike is via trail and off trail. Off trail portion is often on 35-45 degree slopes. Watch out for loose rock. Supreme views up there!!!

Sturdy hiking boots and trekking poles are very helpful. Be sure to carry your TEN ESSENTIALS and let someone know where you are going.

Hike the main trail to where it makes a switchback.

Keep straight and you will soon be surprised to find a fairly well-maintained trail. Take it roughly a mile to about 2700 feet where it forks. Take the reverse right uphill. Approx. coords: N47 25.912 W121 35.791

Flags and cairns will help you guide your way up the rough trail. It eventually peters out on a side ridge that is the usual route for getting on top of the ridge. Some folks have put some flags to aide in guiding. Anyway, follow the side ridge up and you get to a point where you can see afar and make route decisions regarding bagging the cache. Oh, it's a standard .30 Cal ammo box. Have fun, but be safe!

Additional Hints (Decrypt) Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Pnpur uvqqra haqrearngu n ynetr ebpx naq gur obk vf pbirerq jvgu fznyyre ebpx.

Looks like another stellar cache from Evergreenhiker! icon_smile.gif

Speaking of which....Pepper and I placed a couple of new caches near the beginning of the hike to Cherry Cache. Most of you have probably already done Cherry Cache, but if you haven't YOU SHOULD! It's really a special one.

Our new caches will be showing up on the site soon, and I have a request for those of you who might head to them. I hid "On the Way #2," taking lots of coordinates and getting a really good fix with my GPS. However, my (quite new) Magellan seems to be having some problems -- it won't turn on at all(!!!), so I'm unable to get the coords that I had saved. I do have coordinates for the hidden cache, but they're not as good as I'd like them to be-- likely to be 30 or 40 feet off.

So....if you go out to grab On the Way #2 this weekend, please make sure you take the hint with you (it's very easy to find with the hint). And....I'd appreciate it if the first couple of finders could send their coordinates to me. I'll make any necessary adjustments.

I'd just go out there again to check, but I'm temporarily without a GPS. icon_frown.gif

Cin

Just a quick note to say: If you want to get 2 caches for the price of 1, now's the time to go bag Ardmore Adventure (or just revisit the final for an extra find!). I left the Kendall Leech Traveling Cache there on June 11, but no one's been there since to log him. Of course, you are free to take him to another cache as well - he moves like a bug but acts like a cache.

Kendall Leech

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=55224

Ardmore Adventure (Redmond)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21116

leatherman,

I just checked and it's looks as if they have not been approved yet. Lets see I placed one and Cindy place one. I now longer have the coords for the one I place or I would be willing to give up the goods. I was just to lazy to post my own cache so CachinCin is taking care of that little chore. I hate making cache pages!!! The cache names are Metal Mouth and On the Way #2.

Little Lila and I did two Eraseek caches yesterday on Whidbey Island and yes I'm talking about Ebey Bluffs and the Time Capsule. WOW!!! what fun and oh so beautiful. Now I know why they are on so many cachers favorite list.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

leatherman,

I just checked and it's looks as if they have not been approved yet. Lets see I placed one and Cindy place one. I now longer have the coords for the one I place or I would be willing to give up the goods. I was just to lazy to post my own cache so CachinCin is taking care of that little chore. I hate making cache pages!!! The cache names are Metal Mouth and On the Way #2.

Little Lila and I did two Eraseek caches yesterday on Whidbey Island and yes I'm talking about Ebey Bluffs and the Time Capsule. WOW!!! what fun and oh so beautiful. Now I know why they are on so many cachers favorite list.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Congrats on getting your 600th Box!!!! I tried gettting to Ebey's Bluffs back in March, but approached at it from the north....bad idea!

Interesting name for a cache...Metal Mouth...I like it!

Leatherman...how about doing a scramble? Cache isn't approved yet, but scroll up a couple posts and you'll see my cache description. Great workout and views! Banana Ridge Scramble.

Actually if you are taking teh dogs, maybe my cache up on the Taylor River road:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73113

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 29, 2003 at 09:10 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by hydnsek:

Just a quick note to say: If you want to get 2 caches for the price of 1, now's the time to go bag Ardmore Adventure (or just revisit the final for an extra find!). I left the Kendall Leech Traveling Cache there on June 11, but no one's been there since to log him. Of course, you are free to take him to another cache as well - he moves like a bug but acts like a cache.

Jeff and I are going to try to grab this today. I've done Ardmore, but he hasn't...and the park is just a few blocks from our house. It's a fun multi-cache, even if it was my nemesis for 2 days (see my log on that cache page for details).

Cin

Hey Moun10Bike, we grabbed one of your wooden nickels from the Swabbie Cache today -- pretty cool! icon_smile.gif

These are different from your previous coins, correct? (I haven't seen one of those but was pretty sure the wooden nickels were new) Do we need to log these anywhere, or is it a treasure we get to keep?

Cin (who finally met EraSeek today!)

quote:

Hey Moun10Bike, we grabbed one of your wooden nickels from the Swabbie Cache today -- pretty cool! icon_smile.gif

These are different from your previous coins, correct? (I haven't seen one of those but was pretty sure the wooden nickels were new) Do we need to log these anywhere, or is it a treasure we get to keep?

Cin (who finally met EraSeek today!)

I'm familiar with both. Just keep the Wood Nickels or you can pass it to another cache. Only his medal geocoins are travel bugs and you just log the coin number. Go to his profile page and then to his site and you'll see them.

I've the good fortune of finding 6 of those. All but two are back out in caches or in other cachers hands. I'm keeping those two...might drop one off at a very special cache.

EGH! has it right - the wooden nickels are different from my geocoins. The wooden nickels are my "everyday" signature item, while I reserve the geocoins for those extra special caches.

I originally called the wooden nickels "geonickels," numbered them and wrote the name of the cache into which I placed them on the reverse side. However, that led to several people confusing them with my geocoins. Now I do not write on them and I simply call them wooden nickels.

As an aside, I am in the process of completely redesigning my geocoins. After #200, they will no longer be Travel Bugs (at Jeremy's request), and so I want the new design to make it clear that they are a different animal. Look for the new ones to pop up later this summer.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Here's another recommendation for anyone that gets up to the Mt. Vernon area.

I just did A Big Rock with Big Views (GCAEA5) and, WOW, it is fantastic! It's the type of view that generally requires a 2-3 hour hike. This one's less than an hour round trip and is not very steep, You will probably want to eat lunch up there.

Mark

quote:

Jeff and I are going to try to grab this today. I've done Ardmore, but he hasn't...and the park is just a few blocks from our house.

Too late...Scrapbooker went by today and grabbed the Leech traveling cache from Ardmore, so it's off to infect another cache. I thought maybe folks would leave it there long enough for a few folks to sign, but it'll turn up somewhere else soon!

Did the Tribute caches by Cherry Cache today. Thanks for honoring my cache! I enjoyed the early evening walk to both boxes...solid hides both were. Leatherman's coords were right on the money for me for the #2 one. So I've only one to go for 800! Try to get it tomorrow...perhaps Jagla's box back of Carnation. Sounds like a nice walk from the logs.

Ok, Ok I'm fixen' to get off line and head over to CachinCin's to go caching, but I just had say how much I enjoyed "A Bridge Over Troubled Water". I finally got it this morning(early).

Yipee! What a way to start my day.

Great Day to All it's gonna be a good one.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Congratulations EGH!!!! It looks like you were able to get in a great hike, with a beautiful setting at the end -- the best way to do it.

Pepper and I may attempt Deer Chaser today. Any words of advice?

Moun10bike's log made me wonder -- I don't have to dangle off any cliffs or anything, do I?

cin

cin

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Thanks! Deer Chaser...be prepared to searh and search for the first point, but then again maybe the power of two great cachers together may turn it up. If you do, email me a hint...ok? I have no idea where it is. As for the cache, I have a good idea where it is, but the location demands coordinates. Enjoyed the walk though. Easy walk...might see some wildlife. Definitely bring your cameras.

quote:
Originally posted by dayvi:

Since EGH's new http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=77020 cache had been discussed a bit in this space, I though I'd mention that I snagged it this morning! Great hike/scramble (I used a longer, less scrambly route) and perfect coords. Thanks for the adventure, EGH!

Geeez... dayvi! What an adventure you had today and most deserving of a FTF! I know for a FACT i'm not gonna be making that hike, let alone all by my self like you did.

Sure enjoying reading posts on caches I can only dream of doing.

CachinCin and I did one BotHELL, cache and two other Bothell caches, what a day!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Oh dear, I fear there is a budding evil cacher in our midst. I'm speaking of the dreaded Marcus Arelius and his new http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=77987 multi-microcache.

Jeff and I found waypoint #1, no problem. We joined Bebubo in a search for waypoint #2 -- no luck.

This is now officially "under my skin." I'm gonna get that nasty thing!

Cin

Great a new cache to hunt for! I'm real busy painting though then Victoria comes. I may get out in the evening one of these nights.

Ok I'm baaack. Well Mark you have gone and done it up good on your new cache. I was out there pretty early this moring looking and along comes blindleader. We proceeded to search together and we found wp1 but we had no joy at wp2. Dohhhh!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Treasure at Thieves Isle

Hi all well if ya don't allready know Thales Magellan is having a Treasure Hunt for Lost Treasures that is lasting all summer. They have placed a cache in our beautiful state. The name of the cache is "Treasure at Thieves Isle" and it is located at N47 29.333 W121 43.433 the grand prize has already been taken(Color Sports Track) but I'm going out this moring to collect my husband a Magellan Baseball Cap that is if I can find the cache! The FTF was by user Flash who had just recently moved here. Anybody care to join me on the trail I am leaving the house shortly. See ya on the trail to get that Thales Magellan Box!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/gpsAdventures/geocaching/cachedetail.asp?id=14

Hi all well if ya don't allready know Thales Magellan is having a Treasure Hunt for Lost Treasures that is lasting all summer. They have placed a cache in our beautiful state. The name of the cache is "Treasure at Thieves Isle" and it is located at N47 29.333 W121 43.433 the grand prize has already been taken(Color Sports Track) but I'm going out this moring to collect my husband a Magellan Baseball Cap that is if I can find the cache! The FTF was by user Flash who had just recently moved here. Anybody care to join me on the trail I am leaving the house shortly. See ya on the trail to get that Thales Magellan Box!

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Is this a geocaching.com approved cache? I checked the site and it required logging in. Anyway, I put the coords into TOPO! and it's right in the early part of the Si Trail. Might give it a look when I go hiking up there.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on July 05, 2003 at 08:58 AM.]

Wow, Wow, Wow what fun that Magellan Lost Treasure Hunt turned out to be. I ended up running into "uplink" at the cache site. He had already been there for about an hour looking. He was just fixen to go back to his car take a break and trie again. We looked together and after doing a little scrambling I decided to expand my search area and Viola! It was a VERY cool cache container and low and behold there were still Grand Prizes left for the taking. Uplink and I both retreived a ticket each for a Grand Prize. Can you imagin how shocked we were to find out there was more than one Grand Prize in the cache.

Anyway after finding the Magellan cache we went on together to find three more Geocaching Caches that we could add to our log as Finds!

I was also lucky enough to share his #400 find with him.

What a great day of cacing this turned out to be. Good hides(Thanks Kodaks's 4 and Magellan), good company, great prizes.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 05, 2003 at 03:21 PM.]