Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Ufo Koska:

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Ohhhh Evil Dr. are you out there contemplating your next EVIL hide?

Yes. But I'm thinking hard about ways to make group searching not help much. Right now, much time and energy is devoted to completing my new top secret hideout, so it may take a little while.

As a side note, the name for Devil's Club in the latin Linnean taxonomy is "Oplopanax Horridus". Believe it or not, bears like to eat Devil's club when the leaves are just coming out.

Glad we didnt' see any bears in our attempt to get to Dream Lake. I didn't know htat they like to eat that plant's leaves. I tell you that maze of jungle we went through is stuff of legends!

Pepper, nice boxes you and your family put out! Been awhile since I've been to Wallace Falls so it was nice to go back. Also did the SEH cache. Your husband's hide and SEH gave me hell, but I finally got them! I just don't give on finding a cache even if it takes hours.

SEH yield my 100th Travel Bug so that was cool. Stopped by Lewis Street on way home to try for the micro by Masterpuzzler...no go! Oh well, I'll be back when I go fishing for Kings. Some water I want to check out above the bridge.

Look's like Dayvi's new cache is causing problems. Not sure when I can go down and try for it though. Maybe Sunday.

Orginal Techie Cache

EGH I was a little shocked to see you had gone out in the weather yesterday to do Wallace Falls! I take no responsibility for my husbands cache placement! He and I differ greatly on the way we hide as you can tell. The URL above is for Techie's orginal placement in CA. Folks had a hard time at that one also. Anyway happy to hear you found all the caches. I found that SEH cache hard to find also. How about those Salmon berries that are in bloom out there YMMMMM!!!!! Litle Lila and I ate handfulls.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23754&Nocache=0.7055475

EGH I was a little shocked to see you had gone out in the weather yesterday to do Wallace Falls! I take no responsibility for my husbands cache placement! He and I differ greatly on the way we hide as you can tell. The URL above is for Techie's orginal placement in CA. Folks had a hard time at that one also. Anyway happy to hear you found all the caches. I found that SEH cache hard to find also. How about those Salmon berries that are in bloom out there YMMMMM!!!!! Litle Lila and I ate handfulls.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Weather wasn't great, but it's the best time to do Wallace Falls. Less People. Besides I think it's prettier.

Sounds like the last TEchie cache was tough too. I could have found this one way quicker with the right amount of luck, but oh well. No one was around and I could just hunt and hunt and not worry about people.

The old road above the cache will take you to Wallace Lake. I've done that route a few times. They've logged up there though so things aren't as wild as they used to be.

Teh SEH cache...I think it was placed before that trail that goes near the cache. I did keep straight after checking out the new trail adn it did cross the creek too and there was actually a steep bank to climb and I think the hint is accurate if from that trail.

I think the new trail being created as a shortcut to Wallace Lake. I don't know if that's the case,but it makes sense to me. That would be cool! Cut off all those road walk miles. Road is great for bikers,but hard on feet. I'll check this out someday.

EGH I have been out the twice now and I am pretty sure I've got it figured out. I had the twins with me this moring and they were not happy with at that point after telling them about the park where your cache was located. We had entended on heading there first buy I could not bring myself to just drive by Urban Puzzle without stopping.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Pepper.

Eight miles was mentioned for SG10, 11, and 12. Is that one way or round trip?

Planning to go for them on Wed.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_Pepper playing nice!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

Round Trip young man! Study the photos or print them out and take them with you. The last cache at the top by Upper Falls had shotty sigs.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cooperdog:

Dayvi's new cache is a real stinker. I can't believe that someone actually found the second wp. hmmmmm.... I wasted easily two hours walking and driving around trying different combinations to no avail. growl.

Cooperdog

I hear you man! I spent another two hours lookingn for two after a good nights sleep. I see Pepper went out again today. Shoot...maybe two minds would have worked, but heck I don't know about this one...I will admit I'm waiting for the hints now.

Hey, Pepper what time were you out there? I was out there in the afternoon for a couple hours...roughly 2-4 pm give or take.

Hea guys I was out at Urban Puzzle from 3:30PM until I finally gave up at 6:30ishPM. Cooperdog I did the same thing drove all around to different spots and did alot of thinking and dinking around with my GPS at WP1.

I'm up for getting together to get this one before the hints come out!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Hea guys I was out at Urban Puzzle from 3:30PM until I finally gave up at 6:30ishPM. Cooperdog I did the same thing drove all around to different spots and did alot of thinking and dinking around with my GPS at WP1.

I'm up for getting together to get this one before the hints come out!

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Count me in...when?

Oh yeah, I need to be someplace at 430 so earlier is best.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 23, 2003 at 06:36 AM.]

Cooperdog & Evergreenhiker -- Pepper and I returned to the Urban Puzzle, after Dayvi let us know we were doing things correctly. Without giving too much away, let me just say...

1. we were quite close in the first spot we checked this morning

2. Dayvi rehid waypoint 2, so it's going to be much easier to find now.

That said, we are pretty stuck -- don't know what to do with clue #2, and we struck out on our other guesses. icon_smile.gif

cin

After we all split up...I decided to keep with this a little longer. Now I was more awake and alert adn sat in the car and did the figuring again. Coords for waypoint two were right on...we were sooo close to it earlier as a group.

Now I'm stuck!!! Tried variations of what we were doing. Didn't see anything striking. A nearby park looks good but my coords didn't go there. So I ended up taking another two hours at this one. I never went to the UWDawg cache. I needed to get back. The clue for number two could be interpreted any number of ways if you think about it. Tough!

Yup, Facade posted his find just as I was considering driving back to get the final cache (would have been my 3rd time back there today).

Of course, I'd figured out the puzzle within 10 minutes of returning home....just couldn't do it while I was out.

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm there!

Cin (who loves these puzzles)

Did he not find the waypoints/clues, or did he just not use the hint that Dayvi said he'd be giving soon?

I can't imagine that he'd get the cache without finding waypoint 2. Guess if you just keep going in wider and wider circles...but it's a pretty big range from waypoint 1 to the final cache.

Cin

Hello everybody. Thanks to Pepper and CachinCin, I found this thread.

Needless to say, I am shocked and dismayed at having been thwarted by the great bebubo. When I released the cache, I almost put a note in the cache description claiming that it was "Bebubo-proof". I specifically added the second-leg to this cache to make it hard to guess the final location.

He sent me an email the first day the cache was posted in which he guessed the correct general vicinity. He asked that I not tell him if he was right or wrong -- apparently he just wanted to taunt me! icon_smile.gif I did respond by saying that I had no intentions of telling him and that I tried to make this cache bebubo-proof.

FWIW, I do take pleasure knowing it took bebubo two tries to find WP1. hehe.

Anyway, now that I have two confirmations that the second clue isn't too obscure, I recommend solving it. It's pretty fun.

quote:

Cherry cache is a fun hike. Great surprise too.

Most of the hike is on a logging road. A little cobbley feeling. Great for dogs. Keep an ear open for motorcycles or quads. They may go screaming through.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_Pepper playing nice!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

Darn I wish I had a quad, I could do more than one in a day! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for information leatherman.

davyi welcome aboard happy to see you found us.

Yes it has been a davyi frenzy around here in past couple of days. FUN, FUN, FUN!

Thanks

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Evergreenhiker,

We'll be doing your Cherry Cache tomorrow (can't wait!). I was wondering if it's a good trail for dogs. Aurie needs a hike. icon_smile.gif

Cin

Definitely!!! Along the way, couple places for drinking water. Trail isn't that bad, just longer. I'm sure you'll love the cache area!

We're really hyped about finally getting to the Cherry cache -- woo hoo! Thanks for all the info on dogs, everyone.

As for Dayvi's latest...well, Pepper and I polished it off this morning. Sure 'nuff, there was Bebubo's signature, taunting everyone for getting it even without waypoint 2. Actually, Pepper and I had spent some time in the general vicinity of the final before we'd finished solving things too.

Rumor has it that Dayvi is working on another dastardly puzzle cache...

Cin

Adrian and the kids are out of school for the summer. Wheee! If any Eastsiders are heading out on a kid-friendly hunt some day and would like the company of a cute little red-headed kid (and his dad), give us a shout. We've gotten a bit behind on the Kirkland/Redmond geocaches.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Adrian and the kids are out of school for the summer. Wheee! If any Eastsiders are heading out on a kid-friendly hunt some day and would like the company of a cute little red-headed kid (and his dad), give us a shout. We've gotten a bit behind on the Kirkland/Redmond geocaches.

http://www.geocachingwa.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that you're gonna go back out caching. See you out there!

Oh, as for teh Dayvi cache, I finally got it! I do admit getting a general nudge from Bebubo though. I had searched and searched in the correct region earlier, but didn't turn it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Adrian and the kids are out of school for the summer. Wheee! If any Eastsiders are heading out on a kid-friendly hunt some day and would like the company of a cute little red-headed kid (and his dad), give us a shout. We've gotten a bit behind on the Kirkland/Redmond geocaches.http://www.geocachingwa.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! I think there are a couple women out there that have kids out for the summer!

Hey Seth! How about some more of those neat caches that YOU come up with? You have a special talent in that area. One of the most creative people I know!

Cache on!

Donna

quote:

Evergreenhiker,

We'll be doing your Cherry Cache tomorrow (can't wait!). I was wondering if it's a good trail for dogs. Aurie needs a hike. icon_smile.gif

Cin

So did you and Pepper do it? If you did we want to hear. Was it great? I love this cache and the suprise. Hard to leave isn't it?

Yup we(CachinCin & Pepper) did it, even manged to pull it off with Aurie the wonder dog and twins in tow!

Wow, is all I can say. We had lunch and play time before we actually went for the cache and btw it is still there right where EGH placed it.

Cherry Cache yes it is SWEET!

While out finding Cherry cache it looks as if davyi and moun10bike were out getting yet another FTF. Dohhhh and oh so close to my house.

Cindy and I both placed caches while out yesterday mine is still waiting for me to take the time to post. I hate posting caches, what a pain in the neck.

Great day to all.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

We did do the Cherry Cache! It really was a wonderful surprise at the end. Aurie had a blast on the hike as well. This is definitely getting put on my favorites list.

We did make one mistake -- we hiked back out when the sun was beating down on us from above. This meant we didn't have much shade and things were pretty hot.

I'm thinking that on warmer days, early morning is best. I also have to get rid of my patterns of thinking that the closer you are to mountains, the cooler it will be(like we did in the Rockies). It gets warmer in those forests and foothills than it does on the beaches.

Anyone have suggestions for cool hikes on hot days? In spite of my decade in southern New Mexico (or maybe because of it), I just can't stand the heat!

Just call me,

Heat Wimp Cin

quote:

We did do the Cherry Cache! It really was a wonderful surprise at the end. Aurie had a blast on the hike as well. This is definitely getting put on my favorites list.

We did make one mistake -- we hiked back out when the sun was beating down on us from above. This meant we didn't have much shade and things were pretty hot.

I'm thinking that on warmer days, early morning is best. I also have to get rid of my patterns of thinking that the closer you are to mountains, the cooler it will be(like we did in the Rockies). It gets warmer in those forests and foothills than it does on the beaches.

Anyone have suggestions for cool hikes on hot days? In spite of my decade in southern New Mexico (or maybe because of it), I just can't stand the heat!

Just call me,

Heat Wimp Cin

Thanks for eh comments regarding my cache.

As for cool hiking on hot days. Well, Wallace Falls would work great...much of hike is in forest and you've got the falls. Not only that 4 boxes to look for.

Another one is the Twin Falls area by North Bend. Some nice spots along the stream and three boxes to get though one requires you to go partway up Mt. Washington first, but that can be avoided if you know what that spot is like. Some have done so.

Another great, great hike is the Boulder River off the highway to Darrington. You'll take a short logging road to the end and hike 4.5 miles to trail end or as far as you want to go. Lots of old growth trees and the river is lovely. This would make a good cache area, not sure if anybody has put a box here yet.Trail is up and down with some blowdowns to navigate.

If you are up for a drive to Stevens Pass vicinity, Deception Falls is a lovely area. Hike is shorter so it's probably best done on the way to eastern WA or back from it. A cache is there...DanDog's.

Another possibility is the Taylor River Road trail to Lipsy Lake/Otter Falls. There's a cache there and you can check my website for details...North bend section. The trail is mostly level, but does require a couple bridgeless creek crossings, but usually easily done except early in the year when snow melts. A couple of rouger sections but brief. I'd take a hiking staff for added balance in creek crossing and the rougher parts.

My Dream Lake attempt started from the Big Creek Bridge which is a very worthwile destination in it's own right. It's another mile or so past the Otter Falls spur trail. Nice falls there.

I have never done it, but Baker Lake has a miles long old growth forest hike alogn the lake. I imagine being in old forest, it wouldn't be too hot. Several hiking guides list it. Also, check out this way cool site, http://www.wta.org

They list current trail conditions and users post hikes they've done. Also links to agencies like Forest Service, etc.

Surprisingly, the Baker Lake area is only +/-

750 feet in elevation and can be quite warm during this season in spite of the thick forest. Not only is Baker Lake Resort a testament to that, but the northern end of the lake is a favorite camping spot of mine.

Best times to hike will be before 9AM and after 6 PM. Even being close to the glacial runoff river didn't help dissipate the heat by much.

Have a good supply of DEET or your favorite repellant and maybe some netting. The deer flies and mosquitoes were pretty aggressive last year.

Otherwise, the hiking up there is just beautiful. There is even a swing bridge to take you across the river to the east side of the lake. If you start off at the Baker Lake River trailhead, it's about 1/2 - 3/4 mile hike to the bridge. Then you have a choice of continuing on the trail for some fantastic rock water dripping moss - it's like a little mist at the right times, and some great rock formations along the river - or going over the bridge for some other scenic hiking.

Cheers!

TL

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

So did you and Pepper do it? If you did we want to hear. Was it great?

_Now that sounds NAUGHTY!_

Leatherman! Ohmygoodness! I didn't notice that when I wrote it. I'm sitting here trying to think of a good reply to YOUR naughty post, but all I can do laugh at your kissy smilies!!

quote:
Originally posted by lucyandrickie:

Seth!,

Not to put any pressure on you, but we've been waiting for Mission Impossible II forEVER!!!

Any way that you could leak out a little tiny hint as to when we can expect this? icon_rolleyes.gif

It's great to see you back in the game. icon_cool.gif

Yes, it has been an embarrassingly long wait. I think that many of the geocachers in the area were not involved in the sport when I did the first Misson: Impossible.

I can tell you this: I HAVE been plotting it. I'm not sure how soon it will be executed, but I really will try to get to it soon. (Thanks for the nudge.)

Even though I am not employed currently, my summer is going to be busy with family, getting ready for a class reunion, learning new software, and trying to get a couple of businesses off the ground. But I'll try to add that 25th hour in the day to get M:I2 off the ground.

As an aside, is there anyone in our community who knows a lot about HTML besides BillP3rd and me? I need to tap into the expertise of another mind...

Cheers,

Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!

Yes, it has been an embarrassingly long wait. I think that many of the geocachers in the area were not involved in the sport when I did the first Misson: Impossible.

I can tell you this: I HAVE been plotting it. I'm not sure how soon it will be executed, but I really will try to get to it soon. (Thanks for the nudge.)

As an aside, is there anyone in our community who knows a lot about HTML besides BillP3rd and me? I need to tap into the expertise of another mind...

Cheers,

Seth!

I never got to do MI-1. I noticed it when I first started caching last year. I heard a lot of great things about it. I think it was archived about the time I was going to go for it. Is this a good enough excuse to nudge you a little more for a MI-2?

RE: HTML. CachinCin seems very knowledgable in that area.

Donna

[This message was edited by Wienerdog on June 26, 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

quote:

Donna,

Hea girl if you drink coffee don't have anymore today! icon_biggrin.gif Please get to work missy so we can go caching next week.

Pepper

I was just having trouble with my quotes icon_confused.gif !

I'm not online anymore. Really I'm not. Truly. I'm working right now. icon_razz.gif

What's with the quotes today. Dang!