Eastside cachers

Pepper

Ok i've recovered now from yesterdays outing. I must say it's been a year since i've done a hike that long. It may not be long to lots of ya'll out there but for this old gal I was pushing it. Coming back thru the Tunnel was a whole different experience with aching muscles. I'm not sure who's bright idea yesterday's adventure was I need to thank either Cindy or Michele for that experience. I left the house thinking I was going on a 6 mile RT hike, but when we arrived Michele says I think I figured the walk wrong. Dohhhhh!

Anyway fun was had by all and the aching muscles were well worth the payoff. The views were amazing and the Tunnel was off the wall FUN!

MT thanks so much for all the informaion on Project Ape I have always wondered what that was all about.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

So did anyone make that torch into a travel bug? icon_biggrin.gif

Hey if you want some fun have someone haul your bikes to the parking lot and drop you off. From there it's an easy 25 mile ride (downhill) to North Bend with a stop at rattlesnake lake. There are lots of cool bridges and an area where some people rock climb. It only takes a few hours and kids can do it easily.

Mark

Hey Evergreenhiker -- I see that you did one of the new hike-caches, Tim's Stash...errrr...Cache.

I was considering it, but I'm wondering about difficulty. Now, remembering that you are aeons ahead of me in terms of hiking ability....how tough is it? How long is it? How much of an elevation change?

By the way, our Iron Horse cache has been approved, so there are now 3 fun caches along the trail that goes through Snoqualmie Tunnel.

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Hey Evergreenhiker -- I see that you did one of the new hike-caches, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=70996.

I was considering it, but I'm wondering about difficulty. Now, remembering that you are aeons ahead of me in terms of hiking ability....how tough is it? How long is it? How much of an elevation change?

By the way, our http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=72176 cache has been approved, so there are now 3 fun caches along the trail that goes through Snoqualmie Tunnel.

Cin

Cin,

It's not that bad. You are in the shade when you climb up. Bring plenty of water. Some sections of trail are a bit rougher than others on way to the Tower. Wear your hiking boots. Hikign staff will be useful for hte descent.

Roundtrip is just a shade under 4 miles. Elevation gain is about 1000 feet. 900 of that is up to the tower in about 1.1 miles. The trail switchbacks so the grade isn't that bad.

Do it! It's a nice spot the cache is at. I'd grade this hike as an easy/moderate. After the tower, it's a roadwalk...more or less level. Of course if you climb the tower add more elevation to the hike.

Thanks EGH! We got 700 at Point Williams Light. (gc846b)

Funny you should ask as your name was brought up on the walk there. We got off the main trail following the arrow and stopped and said "Hmmm, this is more EGH turf. Maybe we'll stick to the easy trail!"

It's an easy hike in and if you didn't know better, you'd think it was an Eraseek cache. Great view!

We think of Eraseek as our caching tour guide (always the most beautiful views) and right now, I'm putting you on that list, too. Who out there hasn't done Cherry Cache? I can tell the GeoGals are gonna be following your lead this summer in which caches to hit.

Cin, like I said the other day...some caches we have done are soooo beautiful that I'll be happy to ride/hike along with you and Pepper and let ya'll find them but I'll just be along to see a great place again (and take more pictures).

Cherry Cache and Ebbeys Bluff I would welcome an excuse to do again.

The one EGH! just did sounds great. But we still have the Pipeline to do. Our summer schedule is getting busy quick! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the compliments L&R. Talk about busy! Got one kid graduating from High School and headed off to college, another off to 6th grade camp with my wife, and all manner of things piling up on me. All these folks zooming past me in numbers and me just plugging along, one or two a week. On top of that, I got this darned huge independant traveler I'm trying to pass on to a cache that is big enough. I don't want to say what it is, but darn annoying!

Say, if you haven't done Craft Island, that one is a winner!!

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:

EraSeek,

What's it like walking out to the island at low tide? (it is walkable, correct?)

Are regular hiking boots okay, or are waders/watershoes necessary? Does one really need a hovercraft?

Cin

It was not a problem when we did it. I don't recall any muckiness, though you may have to watch your step, there are some holes. It is mostly just grass and some old flotsam. Low tide adds to it because you can see tide flats half way to China. By the way, point williams light was a great spot! Really enjoyed that one.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by lucyandrickie:

Thanks EGH! We got 700 at Point Williams Light. (gc846b)

Funny you should ask as your name was brought up on the walk there. We got off the main trail following the arrow and stopped and said "Hmmm, this is more EGH turf. Maybe we'll stick to the easy trail!"

It's an easy hike in and if you didn't know better, you'd think it was an Eraseek cache. Great view!

We think of Eraseek as our caching tour guide (always the most beautiful views) and right now, I'm putting you on that list, too. Who out there hasn't done Cherry Cache? I can tell the GeoGals are gonna be following your lead this summer in which caches to hit.

Thanks for the comments! I'll have to check that cache you guys did. My next binge of caching will be down in the Columbia River Gorge, though my friend John and I are going to attempt to get to a remote, beautiful mountain lake which I'll hide a box there if we get there (this wednesday). This will be a 4.5 physical cache.

Ohhh Lucy....Congrats on to you and the hubby on hitting 700!

Still have fun?

My friends are in town now from there American tour 14,000+ miles and still more to go before they leave home to Australia. Beleive it not they have not done one cache on their tour. Well I plan on fixing that little problem. While they are in our State surely I can get the KoolKoalas(Claire) to do at least one.

Well we are headed off to the Seattle Center today to see what we can see!

Caching with the GeoGals is on hold for me for the next few days while I entertain.

Pepper

"I can see it from here"

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Ohhh Lucy....Congrats on to you and the hubby on hitting 700!

Still have fun?

My friends are in town now from there American tour 14,000+ miles and still more to go before they leave home to Australia. Beleive it not they have not done one cache on their tour. Well I plan on fixing that little problem. While they are in our State surely I can get the KoolKoalas(Claire) to do at least one.

Well we are headed off to the Seattle Center today to see what we can see!

Caching with the GeoGals is on hold for me for the next few days while I entertain.

Pepper

"I can see it from here"

http://www.geocachingwa.org

You've hit Satan's number! See your post totatl icon_smile.gif Have fun with your guests.

Wow, sounds like a lot of great caches out there for me to explore in my new home! I love hiking and exploring, so this will be great. Just need to hook up with a few folks so I'm not doing all alone.

Speaking of which, could I interest anyone in visiting the Key Peninsula Cache,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=838

Looks like only Moun10Bike and Hazard from this list have been there. It may not be as ideally scenic as some you've described (although it is on a beach), but it sounds fairly physical, and I have a travel bug to pick up there. It's my first bug, Mr Quackers, who has FINALLY made his way from San Jose to Seattle to rejoin me. Apparently, he had fun in Oregon, where he learned to unicycle and went to a beer bust with the Portland cachers.

Anyway...I'd like to go caching one weekend soon and pick him up, but would prefer some companionship. I'm also open to being invited on other outings, of course. Now that I'm settled in my new house and job, time to get out and about!

Hey Hydnsek -- The Key Peninusula Cache really looks great. It sure seems to have inspired some lengthy logs!

I haven't been down to that part of the Sound at all. How much of a trek is it from Redmond? Is it doable as a daytrip? (moun10bike, hazard, any input?)

Cin

Yes, that cache is very doable as a daytrip. The hike is not a long one (around 1 mile one way?), and the drive is about an hour and a half in good traffic. I remember a very overgrown trail on that one, so plan on wearing some long pants on the trip. Overall, though, I think that the terrain rating on the cache is too high -- I'd probably give it a 2.5-3 myself.

I wouldn't rate the cache as a spectacular one, but it's a nice view and I have good memories of my visit to it. If you go, be sure to plan on hitting other ones out on the Kitsap Peninsula. It's probably not a destination cache in and of itself.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Cin, I was involved in the Project Ape cache with Jeremy, so I can answer your question.

http://www.projectape.com/ was a marketing effort by 20th Century Fox in conjunction with Geocaching.com designed to promote the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes. Fox, through Jeremy, would contact geocachers around the world and get their help hiding geocaches in locations that Fox targeted for promotion. Fox would supply the container as well as an original prop from the movie. Later caches also included additional promotional gear such as t-shirts, coins, collector cards, etc.

We knew ahead of time that the prop for Mission 9 in Washington would be a http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/33328_200.jpg from the movie, so Jeremy thought of the dark tunnel where he had hidden his Iron Horse cache. It made for a perfect locale! We got State Parks permission and were accompanied by a ranger as well as photographers from a magazine doing a story on Jeremy and geocaching.

http://geocachingwa.org

Man, thanks for the info. I always wondered why that box was as big as a house, And who was macho enough to lug that thing up there!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
Originally posted by Ish-n-Isha:

I always wondered why that box was as big as a house, And who was macho enough to lug that thing up there!

Well, not so macho - the State Park ranger drove all of us through the tunnel and right up to the cache spot in his WSP Jeep! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

STill recovering from a hellacious bushwack attempt to Dream Lake. We never made it to the lake...dadgum! But it was an adventure and great workout. I have never been so scratched up!!!!! Wore shorts during the ordeal. Lugged the ammo box all the way to turn-around point and dropped it off on way down at an old campsite:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73113&Nocache=0.7055475

Check out the pics. Good news for you, you won't be bushwacking to this box. The old trail peters off at this point. In the future I may move this box to where it belongs, but we will probably wade the creek all the way. I don't know man...this is really a wilderness lake...no game trails, no garbage...quite an experience!!! Part of being an outdoorsman, is realizing it's time to turn around and not become a statistic.

I turn around once it just looks like I might get scratched. Pepper, on the other hand, goes crazy-insane whenever there's a cache to be had. icon_smile.gif

Speaking of crazy-insane, I was out caching with Ms. Weinerdog today. Quite a blast, hitting a bunch of caches to the south of us. But man, it was HOT! out there today. I'm a bit sunburned, all slimy from weeds and dirt and sweat, and exhausted (just now getting home).

Note to Self: caching with weinerdog is a good workout.

Saw one of the more creative cache boxes ever today (Keep in Touch). We also hit a few of TravisL's -- why are his always so much harder to find than you expect???

All in all, a fun day with a fun cacher. I do love spending the day getting dirty and signing logs.

Cin

Hello All

I am most definately Forum Challanged. I will be suprised if my avatar shows up. Even though I tried to follow Peppeer's instructions on March 7th. I still don't know how to insert the quotes from other posts.

I have watched this thread and it has got to be the most positive one I've ever seen. I like it. This is how they should be. Informative discussions and everyone so pleasant to each other.

Even though I live North I asked if it was okay to participate in this Eastside forum. Mainly because I lived over there my whole life and just moved up here to Shoreline 7 years ago. I guess it's okay for anyone to use from what I've been told.

Had a great day with CachinCin. She was with me on my 700th find. TravisL's MisLed. Thanks Cin.

OhMyGoodness. I hope I didn't drive you too insane. I had a great time.

Hey. How come my exclamation marks don't show up? Oooh. My question mark did.

See. I need lessons.

Donna (WD)

Cache Dreamin!

Welcome aboard Wienerdog. I'm a newbie myself and don't get out cache hunting as often as I would like. The mere fact these folks are so positive and supportive of each other makes this sport/hobby very unique from others as it knows no boundaries save the one for respect.

I hope you continue to have a great time with your new found sport.

Now onto those needed lessons. icon_biggrin.gif

You'll notice the little green buttons above the dialog box when you are posting your reply. Click on any of those and you will be able to select the appropriate icon or blank to fill out.

In order to quote somebody's message, you will see a folder with quote marks in it in the lower right corner of their reply. Click on that, and it will open a reply dialog with their message quoted in it. Just scroll to the bottom and continue on with your remarks.

Now for your missing exclamation marks... what browser are you using and if you could click on the Help menu and select the About..., please tell me the version of your browser.

And for your signature under the avatar. You will need to log out, close your browser, restart the browser, then log back in.

Cheers!

TL

Thanks for the tips, TotemLake -- I know I can use them too! (the quotes have never worked for me...and I've never figured out how to make the signature work)

I should note, however, that weinerdog is not all that new to geocaching...just these forums. I was honored to be with her yesterday when she found her 700th (!!!!) cache. I'll post a photo as soon.

Cin (numerically challenged compared to the big dogs)

My mistake! I did read that back there too. Thanks for the reminder CachinCin!

The signature works the same way too. Once created, you have to log out, close your browser, restart the browser, then log back in.

The browser keeps certain temporary files open that doesn't allow for auto updates with these kinds of forums.

Closing the browser allows the temp file to be released and a new temp file starts when you reopen the browser.

Oh yah... there is also that little check box you have to check on in the reply dialog box for the first time.

Cheers!

TL

Hi TotemLake,

Thanks for the lesson I am practicing lesson 1 now.

quote:

You'll notice the little green buttons above the dialog box when you are posting your reply. Click on any of those and you will be able to select the appropriate icon or blank to fill out.

In order to quote somebody's message, you will see a folder with quote marks in it in the lower right corner of their reply. Click on that, and it will open a reply dialog with their message quoted in it. Just scroll to the bottom and continue on with your remarks.

Now for your missing exclamation marks... what browser are you using and if you could click on the Help menu and select the About..., please tell me the version of your browser.

!TL

The browser I use is IE 6.0

Well, we will see if this works.

Cache Dreamin!

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

WOW It worked.

Your a great teacher Totemlake.

I appreciate this so much. Thanks again.

I know I don't deseve an A grade yet because I need to work on my quotes. Maybe a B. Huh?

icon_biggrin.gif

You're welcome! That used to be part of my job. icon_biggrin.gif Teaching UNIX engineers Windows. icon_biggrin.gif

Your browser is modern enough. I don't have a good explanation why exclamation marks wouldn't come up after you type them in and post the message. On your next message... when you have something to say... just try typing 3 exclamation marks in a row and see what happens.

If you haven't done so recently, you might want to go to Windows Updates and just make certain you have everything they say you need for basic system security and fixes.

Cheers!

TL

quote:

Hey Hydnsek -- The Key Peninusula Cache really looks great. It sure seems to have inspired some lengthy logs!

Cin

Yah. Unfortunately, I haven't had any takers for my trip yet. At least Mr Quackers is on a beach. icon_razz.gif

Now, let's see if MY avatar shows up this time....

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Well after a broiler of a week and 2 dismal attempts at finding a cache, I finally found 2 back to back today in a 6 mile urban hike. Whew! Now to go back to that ego bruiser and see if I can steady down on it.

I personally believe that the heat was impairing my caching-abilities. That must be the reason that Jeff and I couldn't find the 4th waypoint on the Gold River multicache....too hot...the sun was in our eyes...

Cin (who's going back for a retry soon)

Gold Creek was a tough one for me. I screwed up on which waypoint was which, and that threw me off, and my signal was toast much of te time. WP4 I found with little problem however. icon_wink.gif

4497_300.jpg

Hey Donna congrats on your 700th!!!

Just got back from Bonneville. Great weekend of fishig and hiking/caching. Here are four of the caches I did and are highly recommended:

Explosis planted this way cool box! You have to scramble to this baby and it's not a good idea to do this one if creek is high:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4849

I drove an extra 30 miles RT to do this baby. Totally, totally worth it!!!!! Try to do this one on an absolutely clear day for supreme views. It was hazy when I was there so I didn't take pics:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71681

this one require going to Sturgeon center in Oregon adn then takes you back to Washington...Hamilton Island area. All locations are cool places. I've spent a lot of time at last two waypoints. Great fishing here and nice walk!:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6985

Great cache! The actual cache is an easy walk, but I couldnt' get signal and assumed that cache was above the big falls...great mistake as I discovered another beautiful falls and was able to loop back down to the Old Columbia River highway and Lauteral Falls TH. I do recommend doing the hike to above the falls to the other one and do the cache too. I forgot my camera on this one icon_frown.gif :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71497

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Thanks John! I was lucky to hve CachinCin with me on that day. It made it fun.

BTW, I happen to hit the Jacknife cache in the Yakima canyon right after you got your 700th. I like what you did in the cache log book! Wasn't that a lovely place?

Looks like you have been hitting a lot of neat places lately.

Lucy, Pepper, CachinCin and I are still planning on doing the Pipeline cache. Can't wait!

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

quote:

Thanks John! I was lucky to hve CachinCin with me on that day. It made it fun.

BTW, I happen to hit the Jacknife cache in the Yakima canyon right after you got your 700th. I like what you did in the cache log book! Wasn't that a lovely place?

Looks like you have been hitting a lot of neat places lately.

Lucy, Pepper, CachinCin and I are still planning on doing the Pipeline cache. Can't wait!

Thanks Donna. Great choice for your avatar! How are you guys going to do Pipeline...just a one day trip? I can give you three other caches that are relatively close that can be done with that one. Two are on one short trail. Of course you have several along 84 or 14 to choose from.

Hey Eraseek, I'm glad to see that we're in good company. Of course, #4 really threw us. I emailed the cache owner, to make sure we were in the right spot. We were right on top of it -- either we missed it, or it's missing. Jeff and I will drive by to check that one soon (can't stand it when I'm halfway done on a cache!).

Evergreenhiker, we haven't decided if we'll do the Pipeline cache in a day or not -- I'm thinking that it might be worth it to grab a motel room for the night and do some nearby caches as well. We're waiting for a week when all 4 of us can be together, and when the weather's nice enough to appreciate the cache location. icon_smile.gif So, please do let us know about those 3 other caches that can be done at the same time -- thanks!

Cin

quote:

Hey Eraseek, I'm glad to see that we're in good company. Of course, #4 really threw us. I emailed the cache owner, to make sure we were in the right spot. We were right on top of it -- either we missed it, or it's missing. Jeff and I will drive by to check that one soon (can't stand it when I'm halfway done on a cache!).

Evergreenhiker, we haven't decided if we'll do the Pipeline cache in a day or not -- I'm thinking that it might be worth it to grab a motel room for the night and do some nearby caches as well. We're waiting for a week when all 4 of us can be together, and when the weather's nice enough to appreciate the cache location. icon_smile.gif So, please do let us know about those 3 other caches that can be done at the same time -- thanks!

Cin

After Pipeline, do these two boxes in order...trailhead is reached from Old Dalles Mountain road:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46158

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=68233

Don't be put off by cache placer's comments about lots of elevation change. It's an easy trail with easy/moderate grade. I was expecting more of a hike, but this proved to be very easy.

This one is a rest stop and is eastbound only:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46390

First three caches right in Mosier:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20580

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=49554

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43843

This one is after gorgeos...heading east:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20812

The next three are from one parking spot:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41130

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20072

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19988

Ok, do the Pipeline and the two caches on the trail reached off Old Dalles Mountain road. After that, get back on 35 and head north to 84 and go east to Mosier and start caching like crazy. I've listed most of them above, but do a nearest search to make sure you don't miss any. I left out Mosier Tunnel because it's longish...3 miles RT. Rowena Wildflowers is very cool!

Overall cache order: Pipeline, the two on Dalles Mt. road, Exit, Pocket Cache, Gorgeous, Island of the dead, the three at Rowena viewpoint, and perhaps also do this one westbound 84 on your way out:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=49807

Ok, another edit...checked Oregon Fever cache adn you should do this...reverse the order listed above after doing the first three caches...start with Oregon Fever and head east and take the apropriate exit and do the Rowena viewpoint caches and work your way west adn fisnish with Exit. Then do Coburg as you head west on 84.

I suggest getting a room for the night or two. It will take about 4 hours just to get to White Salmon/Hood river area. Have fun!

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 10, 2003 at 06:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 10, 2003 at 06:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 10, 2003 at 06:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 10, 2003 at 06:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on June 10, 2003 at 06:48 PM.]

quote:

Thanks, Cin! You guys will just love the area. Just watch out for Poison Oak though. Coburg State Park cache has plenty of it. I was able to avoid it and the cache was not close to any P-oak when I found it.

Speaking of which... does it seem like the poison ivy and oak is exceptionally proliferant this year?

The Norway Hill cache GC972B trailhead was nearly blocked by the oak and there seems to be a lot of ivy and oak within 500 feet of the cache making it tricky to traverse without being tripped up or brushed up by it.

The Freeway Cache GC1443 has ALOT of the ivy in the general area giving me the heebie jeebies trying to poke through just to try to find it.

I turned away without locating both because of it.

Opinions on your observations?

Cheers!

TL

Oak and Ivy IMownO long sleves were the ticket and just trudged thru. While in CA there was no getting around the stuff so I either sat at home icon_frown.gif or just itched non-stop! I chose the latter and managed to live and only complained a little.

icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif