Mac/PC won't recognize Garmin Legend

I'm trying to update my oldest GPS, a Legend Cx. Garmin Communicator detects it, but the icon for the unit does not show up on my screen. I need to update the maps as well as the caches that are on it. Neither my Mac or PC (Windows 10) show the icon. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

hmm... if Garmin Communicator detects it, it is connecting to the computer just fine. Do these older models support mass storage mode?

Probably not. It's been so long since I used this one regularly, I've probably forgotten how it works when plugged in to a computer. I don't remember it it can be "opened" like the newer ones and files can be deleted.

Mass Storage is supported, but really only useful for copying tracks, and you have to put the device into a mode for that to even work. It's possible to transfer maps, but it's WAY faster to put the card in a dedicated reader. It's quite clear that Mass Storage for this line of products was an afterthought that was bolted onto a 2004-era core.

See the FAQs at http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/glegendcx/

You need drivers with Windows. On Mac and Linux, it's up to the apps to implement the comm proto. GPSBabel, for example, requires drivers when running on windows and does its own bit-banging of the protocol on OS/X and Linux.

Mass Storage is supported, but really only useful for copying tracks, and you have to put the device into a mode for that to even work. It's possible to transfer maps, but it's WAY faster to put the card in a dedicated reader. It's quite clear that Mass Storage for this line of products was an afterthought that was bolted onto a 2004-era core.

See the FAQs at http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/glegendcx/

You need drivers with Windows. On Mac and Linux, it's up to the apps to implement the comm proto. GPSBabel, for example, requires drivers when running on windows and does its own bit-banging of the protocol on OS/X and Linux.

Yep, I've used a reader to load the map, and am using GSAK to load the caches. I think I've just been a bit spoiled by newer units and forgot the limitations of the older models.

Out of curiosity... why are you going back to such an old toy when you have newer more modern tools available?

I use it on my bike to see how many miles I go, and so I don't get lost in the growing rabbit-warren of streets in all the subdivisions. Like the old saying, you can't (always) get there from here. If there happens to be a cache along the route, I'll look for it.

Edited by GrateBear