App features

So I just attended an event today and didn't bring a dedicated gps. I was thinking the app would allow me to make a list by typing in the cords. No luck is this a feature we can look forward to? Luckily I had downloaded an app the did allow for this and had great maps and a compass overlay. Only thing it didn't do was make it easy to create a route. Plus a bit of a learning curve hard to do while driving from one catch to another.

I was thinking the app would allow me to make a list by typing in the cords. No luck is this a feature we can look forward to?

While viewing a cache description, you can add waypoints, name them, and they will be in a list. As you've seen, there are more Apps that you can try, all different with features buried in menus with minimalist unnamed icons. I'm beginning to wonder if App programmers have ever tried to find a Geocache. :anibad:

My Garmin Oregon so much easier to use for Geocaching (for example, adding a waypoint), I've just about given up on "Apps". I may use one of three Apps in an emergency, to load a new cache quickly on-the-fly, but that's about it. Since in that case I need to be online anyway, I tend to use the web site, then switch to Commander Compass, in a pinch.

Edited by kunarion

The app I was using was easy once figured out. The main problem with using the Groundspeak app or the classic was that the caches weren't published till 2 hours after the start and cell coverage was spotty

And commander compass is the one I was using.

Edited by redman88
The main problem with using the Groundspeak app or the classic was that the caches weren't published till 2 hours after the start and cell coverage was spotty

Yeah, pretty much every App stalls when it's trying to load something and the data stream fails. They all assume you're online all the time, and once you lose the signal, things you thought were loaded, aren't. Programmers are evil. :yikes:

And commander compass is the one I was using.

The full version of Commander Compass allows saving waypoints. That, or the other caching Apps, are better for that, while we wait for updates. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion