Caching "The Incline"

GO Geiger

I plan on hiking The Incline in Manitou Springs, CO on July 1. I won't be able to start until 12:30 or 12:45 (I know it'll probably be hot, but unfortunately that's the only time available to me). I hope to get at least one of the caches along The Incline or the Barr Trail, as well as taking some pictures along the way.

A couple of things:

1. I come from relatively low altitude (700' above sea level) and am fairly active (I average at least 1 5K or longer each month, go for a 5-10 mile hike once or twice a month). I don't expect to set any speed records on the Incline, just to take my time and enjoy myself. (Already planning on at least 3 bottles of water, some bananas, and some granola bars for along the way.)

2. We'll be gradually increasing our altitude for the week prior, so I hope to be relatively acclimated to the elevation.

3. I think I'm in decent shape for my age (44) - not a marathoner, but not a couch potato, either.

So...

1. Any tips from anyone that's already climbed The Incline?

2. Is there anyone that will be fool enough to join me on my quest? The start time of 12:30-12:45 is pretty well set in stone.

Any advice is welcome (except "don't do it!" - I've talked this up so much that I pretty much have to do it now )

I plan on hiking The Incline in Manitou Springs, CO on July 1. I won't be able to start until 12:30 or 12:45 (I know it'll probably be hot, but unfortunately that's the only time available to me). I hope to get at least one of the caches along The Incline or the Barr Trail, as well as taking some pictures along the way.

A couple of things:

1. I come from relatively low altitude (700' above sea level) and am fairly active (I average at least 1 5K or longer each month, go for a 5-10 mile hike once or twice a month). I don't expect to set any speed records on the Incline, just to take my time and enjoy myself. (Already planning on at least 3 bottles of water, some bananas, and some granola bars for along the way.)

2. We'll be gradually increasing our altitude for the week prior, so I hope to be relatively acclimated to the elevation.

3. I think I'm in decent shape for my age (44) - not a marathoner, but not a couch potato, either.

So...

1. Any tips from anyone that's already climbed The Incline?

2. Is there anyone that will be fool enough to join me on my quest? The start time of 12:30-12:45 is pretty well set in stone.

Any advice is welcome (except "don't do it!" - I've talked this up so much that I pretty much have to do it now )

As someone who moved from low elevation to Colorado--I was about 10 years older and an avid bicyclist--I'd advise you not to count on the one week gradual increase in elevation to be adequate acclimation to the altitude. It took me 3 weeks to begin to be comfortable climbing 2 flights of stairs and 3 months to feel fully acclimated.

Rather than taking water in bottles, a Camelback would be easier to carry and use.

Edited to add: starting that late in the day there's a strong possibility of being caught in thunder/lightning/heavy rain storms in the afternoon. Be prepared.

Edited by NanCycle

Thanks for the advice. I think I must have misremembered some other advice I had gotten - the drive out should gradually acclimate us to the altitude so that altitude sickness is not as much of a factor as if we had flown in.

Unfortunately due to packing limitations, water bottles is the best I'll be able to do. I'll have one of those drawstring backpacks that seem to be all the rage as giveaways these days.

I am taking my hike up the Incline seriously - if conditions warrant not going, I guess I'll have to give it a pass this trip. I'd really like to give it a go, but safety has to come first.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I'm travelling around US (bus/hitchhiking) and might be able to join... I'm now in LA, the set dates for future are Vegas on 25th, continuing to Utah, and Austin TX on 10th July, so this could fit in nicely. Hiking at noon in California would be suicide but I hope it works in Colorado. We'll be in touch.

a side note: in my country we don't seem to have problems with this kind of altitude, even though the capital is at 1000 feet and hiking in 7-10 thousand feet mountains is a regular activity...

Sorry I missed your post ryukyupyx. Things were a bit hectic at the last minute getting ready for the trip.

I can, with all honesty, say I made the hike successfully. It took about 90 minutes to go up and slightly less to come down the Barr trail. I was a little winded around the bailout point, but a couple of guys from Chicago, a family from Boston, and a local hiker all sort of goaded me into continuing to the top. And I'm really glad that I let them goad me - the view was spectacular!

I'm only sorry I didn't stop to find a cache while up there - the cache at the top of the Incline requires you to go down hill and then back uphill and I wasn't ready for that once I had made it to the top. There are a couple on the Barr trail, but one I completely forgot about and the other I passed without realizing it and didn't have the energy to go back for it. Oh well, maybe next time I'm in Colorado (I mean, it only took me 44 years to get out here for the first time... how long could it be before my next visit?)