What's the 'free muggle app'?

curlingfan11

What is it? I here people say when Their caches are gone because of this new 'free muggle app". Is there actually an app for this? Or is it an expression?

I use the term "muggles with apps" and I don't like it because anybody can download the free app and find geocaches without knowing anything about how the game is supposed to be played. You might (or might not) be surprised to know that many muggles think that the finder is supposed to take the cache and either keep it or hide it somewhere else (without knowing anything about taking/posting coordinates.) This is why I'm making many of my caches PMO.

btw I don't know what TB means by "feeling dirty"; what I feel is somewhere between annoyed and outraged.

Similar to NanCycle I guess...

Years ago, this hobby required investing in a GPSr just to get started.

Most, not wanting to waste that investment, learned as much of this hobby they could.

Many attended events, or met someone outdoors, and were mentored by others.

We mentored a few, and they're still caching today.

"Free muggle app" started with the Intro app, continues today.

A person can download the app for free, and access other's property (caches and trackables) with no knowledge, research, any investment in the hobby whatsoever, other than the few minutes it takes to load it in their phone.

A few weekends of playing, after taking containers ("I though that's how you play..."), pocketing trackables for souvenirs, and swearing in logs, they lose interest, moving on to the next "game" that's highlighted in their app selections.

They're essentially muggles, with an app...

Most, not wanting to waste that investment, learned as much of this hobby they could.

A person can download the app for free, and access other's property (caches and trackables) with no knowledge, research, any investment in the hobby whatsoever, other than the few minutes it takes to load it in their phone.

A few weekends of playing, after taking containers ("I though that's how you play..."), pocketing trackables for souvenirs, and swearing in logs, they lose interest, moving on to the next "game" that's highlighted in their app selections.

To be clear...

This term doesn't include the individuals/families who first enter this hobby by reading, or watching the instructional videos, maybe picking up a trackable of their own, and (gasp!) validating their account with a real email address. :)

Yeah, we know that no one ever decides to become a premium member right off the bat, and all are trustworthy and knowledgeable... :laughing:

When the Intro App was first offered we had several new members that joined and did a little "Scorched Earth" caching tearing GZ apart and a few of my caches had to be archived because the land owner revoked my permission. Those week-end wonder cachers really upset a lot of people.

I did as suggested and made all of my listings PMO and that solved the problem.

Another non-pm family member in my household increased the D/T rating on their listings so they do not appear on the Intro App for basic members.

We've been thankful for that free app. We thought about geocaching a couple years ago but at the time our kiddos were younger and schedules didn't cooperate. We've thought about it on occasion since then but nothing came of it. Recently we were talking about what to do this summer as a family and rediscovered geocaching. We found our first cache on Wednesday which, of course, excited the kids. We had church at night, but when we came home I sat them down with Youtube and pulled up the geocaching.com account and watched some of the intro videos, that got them even more excited. Yesterday, we found our first TB (which I had researched what to do with them before we had found them, and just to be sure, I went thru the steps while logging them) We plan to visit one of the State Parks in the coming week and do some caching there. We have found geocaching to be a great family activity and my kids are already asking when we can get our own TB and they are looking forward to seeing where the ones we found end up.

We don't have the fancy equipment, just the app nor have we paid for a membership yet, we are waiting for a bit until we see how all this works out. So far, we are thoroughly enjoying our time.

Off to make some personalized swag.....

My thoughts exactly!

We've been thankful for that free app. We thought about geocaching a couple years ago but at the time our kiddos were younger and schedules didn't cooperate. We've thought about it on occasion since then but nothing came of it. Recently we were talking about what to do this summer as a family and rediscovered geocaching. We found our first cache on Wednesday which, of course, excited the kids. We had church at night, but when we came home I sat them down with Youtube and pulled up the geocaching.com account and watched some of the intro videos, that got them even more excited. Yesterday, we found our first TB (which I had researched what to do with them before we had found them, and just to be sure, I went thru the steps while logging them) We plan to visit one of the State Parks in the coming week and do some caching there. We have found geocaching to be a great family activity and my kids are already asking when we can get our own TB and they are looking forward to seeing where the ones we found end up.

We don't have the fancy equipment, just the app nor have we paid for a membership yet, we are waiting for a bit until we see how all this works out. So far, we are thoroughly enjoying our time.

You are not a "muggle with app"; you are an educated user and I commend you for it. Welcome to the game/sport/activity/addiction--whatever you want to call it. :smile:

Yeah, we know that no one ever decides to become a premium member right off the bat, and all are trustworthy and knowledgeable... :laughing:

I'd just point out that I probably fall into that "muggle" category, perhaps with a few qualifiers. Everyone has to start somewhere. I got the free app and after finding one very easy cache (with the help of one very understanding CO), I bought the premium. Now I have a question about finding groups to tag along with and learn the ropes AND whether or not something like a Magellan Explorist GC is essential to my success and the total experience.

What I'm saying is, it's easy to blanket condemn something, but that app is also a gateway into a fun, challenging, and mind-opening activity. Everyone has to start somewhere and most will do so responsibly. There are always those who will step out into the alpine meadows despite signs and those who leave a trail of dead (something) behind them wherever they go. But that's the world we live in!

I'd just point out that I probably fall into that "muggle" category, perhaps with a few qualifiers. Everyone has to start somewhere. I got the free app and after finding one very easy cache (with the help of one very understanding CO), I bought the premium. Now I have a question about finding groups to tag along with and learn the ropes AND whether or not something like a Magellan Explorist GC is essential to my success and the total experience.

What I'm saying is, it's easy to blanket condemn something, but that app is also a gateway into a fun, challenging, and mind-opening activity. Everyone has to start somewhere and most will do so responsibly. There are always those who will step out into the alpine meadows despite signs and those who leave a trail of dead (something) behind them wherever they go. But that's the world we live in!

Excuse me, did you capture the correct post? I said nothing in this one about "muggles".

Not sure why you quoted me, simply a response to the post above it saying, "The free muggle app was the reason I made all of my listings PMO."

I believe that simply being pm doesn't make one more knowledgeable or trustworthy, something you're agreeing with here. :huh:

- Guess I shoulda included what I replied to in my post...

The app is a great way to try out geocaching. It comes in handy even for us old timers who mainly use dedicated gpsrs.

This being said, i have given my negative opinion of the app many times in these forums. My belief is that because it is an app, most people download it and go before really trying to figure much, if anything, out. This has caused some problems for existing cachers because the app users don't know the basics and/or proper etiquette. Again my opinion, but just like with other apps, people try it but then lose interest after a bit and move to the next app before ever getting into the more fun aspects of caching.

As for yourself, you are interested in learning more which is a very good thing. Wish more people that used the app had this interest. There is lots of help here in the forums and at the local level, all you have to do is ask. Being that you're in the Seattle area, you won't have any trouble finding an event or group to contact. I don't do facebook but i'd just about guarantee you that there is a geocaching group or three close by.

And in case you didn't know,,, the BIG GEOCACHING company is right there in your neighborhood! B)

I can relate, in that I'm a newbie to geocaching, but I really appreciate the free app to let me get a feel for this new hobby before I decide to pay for premium membership. It has allowed me to find 15 caches (to date) and I've been actively reading through the forums and help pages on geocaching.com to ensure I can find out everything I can. I found a geocoin the other day, so luckily from my research I knew what to do with it. I'm thinking about hiding my own cashe at some point, but will likely wait until I have premium membership and my personalised swag items arrive (tiny badges with my logo on them - much cheaper than pathtags or geocoins). Loving this new hobby which is getting me back out into the fresh air and bushwalking again, but I must say that the free app has been an essential stepping stone for me into geocaching.

I am a straight noob, not a single find to my name yet. For years I have said off and on that we should try geocaching but didn't really know how to do it. The app is very helpful to me because I had no clue that there were this many caches in my kinda in the middle of nowhere town.

That being said, I did purchase one month of premium in order to try it out and have been reading up on how to's, rules and etiquette, terms and appropriate swag.

Think of me as Hermione rather than a Dursley.

I use the apps (3rd party) because they are more convenient than a separate device. I started with just a basic knowledge from a person who heard about the hobby, but never thought "you take the caches with you". Since then I've of course gained experience but I'm still not going for the separate device. What I do hovewer is to try to always have some stuff which helps me patch a cache when I find one needing that (e.g. give it some more log space or just replace it if it isn't readable anyway). Doing that and then coming here to read about "muggles with apps" isn't nice. I understand you have experience with idiots but they can be found anywhere using any equipment. And claiming that real geocaching can be done only using GPSr is like claiming that a real phone call can be only made from a land line.

I use the apps (3rd party) because they are more convenient than a separate device. I started with just a basic knowledge from a person who heard about the hobby, but never thought "you take the caches with you". Since then I've of course gained experience but I'm still not going for the separate device. What I do hovewer is to try to always have some stuff which helps me patch a cache when I find one needing that (e.g. give it some more log space or just replace it if it isn't readable anyway). Doing that and then coming here to read about "muggles with apps" isn't nice. I understand you have experience with idiots but they can be found anywhere using any equipment. And claiming that real geocaching can be done only using GPSr is like claiming that a real phone call can be only made from a land line.

You are obviously not a "muggle with an app"; however that doesn't mean that some other people aren't, so don't take the phrase personally when it is used for the people to whom is really does apply. It doesn't mean that every new cacher who uses an app is a "muggle with an app"; it's a matter of attitude more than just knowledge; knowledge comes into it when the person doesn't bother to learn anything more than what's in the app.

....knowledge comes into it when the person doesn't bother to learn anything more than what's in the app...

sounds kind of elitist.

what are you referring to that needs to be learned, after which a person becomes more than just a person hunting caches , either with a map/compass, smartphone, or stand alone?

the birthdays of the most found users?

the cube of pi ?

how to order pizza with a camp fire?

sounds kind of elitist.

It's funny how, almost invariably, when someone points out how much better it is to have well informed geocachers who follow the very sensible framework of guidance made available to oil the wheels of the geocaching machine in the best interests of all involved, the spectre of so called *elitism* rears its ugly head...

sounds kind of elitist.

It's funny how, almost invariably, when someone points out how much better it is to have well informed geocachers who follow the very sensible framework of guidance made available to oil the wheels of the geocaching machine in the best interests of all involved, the spectre of so called *elitism* rears its ugly head...

it wasn't a dismissive comment, it was an observation. if you would like to answer the questions i posed in the same post, that would be awesome. sometimes the intent is lost when all you see is the text someone else typed, instead of the actual voice tone. :)

sounds kind of elitist.

it wasn't a dismissive comment, it was an observation. if you would like to answer the questions i posed in the same post, that would be awesome. sometimes the intent is lost when all you see is the text someone else typed, instead of the actual voice tone. :)

The ridiculous-ness of the examples you chose provided an excellent substitute for "voice tone."

You asked "what needs to be learned?" For starters, that Geocaching isn't just another app; that there is a website. That there are good reasons for validating your email. That geocaches aren't put out by whatever nameless/faceless entity created the app, but by other real people--players who by the way happen to be the very same people you might run into in your neighborhood, at work/school, at the supermarket, etc. For starters.

sounds kind of elitist.

From your 'actual voice tone' I wasn't even sure you wanted answers to your questions - probably the degree of sarcasm when you asked:

the cube of pi ?

I didn't really get sincere curiosity from that particular voice tone.

And your observation was actually a judgment - a poorly formed one I suspect.

Tone down the sarcasm and ask serious questions in a respectful manner from a basis of genuine curiosity and a willingness to learn and you may get some of those awesome responses you claim to seek.

sounds kind of elitist.

The ridiculous-ness of the examples you chose provided an excellent substitute for "voice tone."

You asked "what needs to be learned?" For starters, that Geocaching isn't just another app; that there is a website. That there are good reasons for validating your email. That geocaches aren't put out by whatever nameless/faceless entity created the app, but by other real people--players who by the way happen to be the very same people you might run into in your neighborhood, at work/school, at the supermarket, etc. For starters.

the ridiculousness was an attempt humor, poorly executed and thanks to the internet, assumed as sarcasm. because the elitism is present, people assume the worst and take a defensive position. read it the way i intended, and you'll see, i hope ?

sounds kind of elitist.

From your 'actual voice tone' I wasn't even sure you wanted answers to your questions - probably the degree of sarcasm when you asked:

the cube of pi ?

Tone down the sarcasm and ask serious questions in a respectful manner from a basis of genuine curiosity and a willingness to learn and you may get some of those awesome responses you claim to seek.

nope, see above.

try again?

sounds kind of elitist.

the cube of pi ?

nope, see above.

try again?

There isn't an item on my agenda that is less important.

sounds kind of elitist.

the cube of pi ?

nope, see above.

try again?

There isn't an item on my agenda that is less important.

that's cool, your agenda is probably jam packed with important stuff if it took twelve minutes to respond. if you have another twelve minutes, read my earlier comment as i intended it with humor, not sarcasm.

if you don't have another twelve, that's understandable.