Waymark decline for reason not justified in the category instructions

I just had a waymark declined in the Signs of History because I did not put the text of the sign in the description. However, this category does not include such a requirement. What should I do? Comply - doing so will be fairly arduous, Resubmit with a note that putting the text in the description is not a requirement, or contact the category leader ask why?

I just had a waymark declined in the Signs of History because I did not put the text of the sign in the description. However, this category does not include such a requirement. What should I do? Comply - doing so will be fairly arduous, Resubmit with a note that putting the text in the description is not a requirement, or contact the category leader ask why?

Personally, I've posted hundreds of waymarks in this category. I know the struggle of copying the text from the photo can be a pain, especially if the text is small and long. Here's what I suggest before sending a group email:

-Go to HMDB.org and search for the marker. Some are already on the site with the full text, so you can copy and paste it.

-If it's not on HMDB.org, then you should actually type the entire text. Yes, it's long and boring, but you may find yourself getting a few additional waymarks from reading the text a few times. Examples would be "First of its Kind" or "Last.." or even a "Superlative". These words and phrases are hidden inside the marker. If you read the marker a few times, you may find yourself posting more waymarks.

In the past, I've always typed out the text weather it was copied from an additional source. Likewise, I too, sometimes feel that a few waymarks are decline for unjustifiable reasons not explicitly stated in the requirements. Changing the requirements are easier said than done. Most of the time, the category leader is inactive, especially for older categories. Photos that require GPS are no long required by any category to make Waymarking more enjoyable. Overtime, requirements are changed and that change can be seen with recently published ones. I suggest that you actually type out the entire text of the marker. Every waymark I've seen in that categoy has the text copied in the description. It's a good way to spice up a waymark. I would advise not to ask the reviewers about it since you'll likely get the same answer I'm telling you now. But, that could also not be the case and you could be entirely in the right by bringing up a concern. When in doubt, contact them. They'll give you the correct answer.

It IS a requirement that the text of the marker is in the waymark; somewhere after the middle of the posting instruction. In my opinion this can be accomplished by a legible picture of the marker, but the officers seem to have a different approach. However, it is not an easy case of an unjustified denial, there is some need for clarification.

I was an officer until 10/7/2015, this was my goodbye text:

"Comment: I'm out, I wrote mails to all of you, some officers accept memorials others don't, some allow crosspostings, some don't. Instead of a discussion, new waymarks are approved. No strong feelings, bye. -lumbricus"

It IS a requirement that the text of the marker is in the waymark; somewhere after the middle of the posting instruction.

Also, please photograph any existing structures or locations that are described on the sign (optional). - The text on the marker. -

For me this clearly means the text must be photographed and not retyped.

"Instructions for Posting a Signs of History Waymark:

Please include the following in your waymark: - Naming convention: Please use the following naming convention: Title of sign - City, State/Province/Country. For example: The Steam Engine - Dallas, TX. If the sign does not have a clear title, then use a short (1-8 word) description of the main topic covered by the sign. If the sign is two-sided or otherwise has two titles, please include both in the waymark name separated by a / - Two quality pictures of the marker that you have personally taken: one a close-up (please make this your default photo) and one a distance shot showing the marker and its surroundings to assist visitors in finding it. Please do not include your GPSr or yourself in these two photos. Take and upload additional photos if you or your GPSr like to be on the web. Also, please photograph any existing structures or locations that are described on the sign (optional). - The text on the marker. - Coordinates obtained personally by you from your GPSr. If the sign is inside a building or other area where GPS signal is weak, then take the coordinates from a logical entrance and include a description of how to to get from the coordinates to the sign in your description. - Please try to find additional information about the event(s) on the sign and post this information or a web link to it."

We have submitted several Signs of History that were declined due to the lack of including the text in the long description. We have since learned through trial and error to include the marker text.

True there are instructions for the text in the middle of the instructions for posting, however it follows all the requirements for photos. Then followed by five words: "The text on the marker.".

What does a waymarker do with the text? Photograph it or what? The instructions are unclear as to what to do with the text. It does not state that they need to be included in the long description. If this was clarified; this would avoid declines based on the lack of the text included and a second review when it is re-submitted.

Just because the author of the description understood what was meant, does not necessarily mean it is understood by everyone who reads it as the author intended.

Edited by BK-Hunters

Sometimes, taking the lazy way, I find it less effort to type out the marker text than to come up with some original essay material for the description. Don't tell.

The real fun is deciding whether or not to include all the text from both languages.

Edited by elyob

"Instructions for Posting a Signs of History Waymark:

Please include the following in your waymark:

- Naming convention: Please use the following naming convention: Title of sign - City, State/Province/Country. For example: The Steam Engine - Dallas, TX. If the sign does not have a clear title, then use a short (1-8 word) description of the main topic covered by the sign. If the sign is two-sided or otherwise has two titles, please include both in the waymark name separated by a /

- Two quality pictures of the marker that you have personally taken: one a close-up (please make this your default photo) and one a distance shot showing the marker and its surroundings to assist visitors in finding it. Please do not include your GPSr or yourself in these two photos. Take and upload additional photos if you or your GPSr like to be on the web. Also, please photograph any existing structures or locations that are described on the sign (optional).

- The text on the marker.

- Coordinates obtained personally by you from your GPSr. If the sign is inside a building or other area where GPS signal is weak, then take the coordinates from a logical entrance and include a description of how to to get from the coordinates to the sign in your description.

- Please try to find additional information about the event(s) on the sign and post this information or a web link to it."

I've submitted Waymarks to this category before, and I believe this would be the first time that I was required by an officer to type in the text on the marker.

That is exactly the problem with this category. It is not that the posting requirements are ambiguous, this can happen. But the officers do not agree on the interpretation of this point and they do not show any effort to solve the situation.

Would a bit of HTML to place the photo of the text into the description count, rather than typing it all out?

I have actually done this successfully on rare occasions in the past. On even rarer occasions I have converted the image to black & white and inserted that in the long description. But, of course, with my waymarks that requires converting it to a png and making the background transparent. I doubt most folks are willing to go that far. Most times I'm not, but it can look really cool if the sign uses a nice, fancy font that's not generally available on Windoze PCs.

This is a situation in which OCR and a good piece of image massaging software can be your best fiends. We have found that the best results are obtained from This OCR Service. Being adept with an image massager such as FastStone Image Viewer allows one to achieve excellent OCR results with amazingly unlikely images. I would have to say that around 90% of the "Signs of History" waymarks we've done (268 to date) were accomplished with the help of the two items mentioned.

One might think that this is a lot of work and time taken, but I'm such a sloppy typist that it's still faster for me to go the OCR route, especially on really large signs.

Edited by BK-Hunters