Basic Members Logging PMO caches

curlingfan11

Note that basic members can log PMO caches. They just can't view the cache page.

Is this true? It doesn't work for me. Steps please?

It's true you can log 'em online (after signing the log), but you can't see the cache page to get the coordinates.

You'd need to go with a pm to find it, then log by OReviewer's post.

You can do this really quick by using two different browsers on the same computer. You can have both accounts open at the same time. Log into the premium account in chrome and go to the log cache page. Copy the url. Minimize. Login to the basic member account in firefox (or ie). Paste the url. Log it.

I do this all the time with my kids. I log mine in the field to keep the order and theirs when I get home. Busy days, I open each premium cache in a different tab and it goes real quick. Back and forth copy and paste. I have had all 3 accounts open at once on the same computer.

I have known some premium cache owners to change their caches to basic caches temporarily if you just ask. Email them that you are excited to do their interesting highly favorited caches with your kids and give them the dates. They can change them back to premium aftetwards.

I have known some premium cache owners to change their caches to basic caches temporarily if you just ask. Email them that you are excited to do their interesting highly favorited caches with your kids and give them the dates. They can change them back to premium aftetwards.

We've gotten emails from some saying they'd do that, but I never ask.

Certainly wouldn't suck up, feigning excitement just to do their cache.

Sheesh...

I feel if their hide is somehow okay at this time to do without that pmo, what made it so special to do it in the first place.

Sheesh...

I feel if their hide is somehow okay at this time to do without that pmo, what made it so special to do it in the first place.

The intent of my wording was to be an example of how to show genuine interest if you are and ask nicely. Not to demand someone change their caches which can be off putting. When corresponding through email it can be difficult to convey tone and a simple request can come across as snarky or as an order. Snarky comments deter people from wanting to offer advice and help when others are being hyper critical.

Edited by OwenfromKC

Sheesh...

The intent of my wording was to be an example of how to show genuine interest if you are and ask nicely. Not to demand someone change their caches which can be off putting. When corresponding through email it can be difficult to convey tone and a simple request can come across as snarky or as an order. Snarky comments deter people from wanting to offer advice and help when others are being hyper critical.

Sorry, didn't think I was expressing that there was demand.

I stopped doing pmo hides during the ten-plus years we were pm.

Audit was still functional for most at the time, and mainly it was micro-managers that soured 'em for me.

You're kinda correct about tone.

Good thing forums, by design, are used to express different views, as sometimes tone is mistaken here too... :)

Edited by cerberus1

I sometimes go geocaching with my grandchildren and they aren't Premium Members. As matter of courtesy I email the CO and ask if it's OK with them for my grandchildren to log their PMO cache. So far,they've all been happy and appreciated being asked.

Save the caches as gpx files, on a USB stick out something, so the kids can revisit them years later, with it without the approval of online sources. ?

It has always been totally acceptable, in the view of Groundspeak, for any member to log PMO caches (regardless of the thoughts of the owners of those PMO caches). No one needs to ask 'permission' to log a PMO cache. The PMO status of a cache really applies only to the listing, i.e. it is viewable only by Premium Member accounts, not the actual film canister with the wet paper inside.

Go to http://www.geocachingadmin.com and put the GC code of the cache in the GC code field then click the button next to it, "Log".

Doesn't work anymore. Just tried to enter a find we made this morning on my wife's account and it won't allow it. Guess in the future I'll be skipping the premium caches when she goes with me.

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up !

Hope that's only a temp thing...

I was still giving people that info just this past weekend.

- Most Terrain "5s" are pmo for some reason around here.

Can't get folks to walk, someone thinks a "5" needs to be safe. :laughing:

Might get a fake log from a muggle-with-app, but we get fake logs from long-time pms too. :)