US Vacation GPSr or Phone

colleda

We are heading over to the US for a vacation next month. Normally we use our Garmin Etrex 20s and load them up from GSAK as we go. This will be the first time we will be spending time in the US, about 10 days, where as previously we have only overnighted when transiting to other places with the exception of AK.

Our problem, for which I am seeking advice/suggestions, is that we will be on a coach tour and we do not know what route it will take. It's looking like it will be full on, lots of travelling with short breaks here and there between attractions (mostly NPs) and hotels. We would like to pick up caches if possible along the way.

Not knowing the route makes it difficult to do PQs that way. I can do PQs for caches in vicinity of our hotels easy enough.

So I am considering perhaps using my phone to cache "on the fly" so to speak. Phone is Windows Nokia Lumia 620 with Geocaching Live app. I have used the phone a couple of times for caching but much prefer the Etrex.

Would it be possiple to buy a SIM and data plan when we get there or would cell reception be a problem for some places we are visiting (list below). I have no idea of data cost there but it would have to be cheaper than here. Any recommendations? Anyone familiar with caching in these places?

18/7 arriving LA from Sydney.

Barston

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Page

Monument Valley

Blanding/Monticello?

Arches NP

Salt Lake City

Jackson WY

Grand Teton NP

Yellowstone

Gardiner MT

Provo UT

Bryce Canyon NP

Zion NP

Las Vegas

Hoover Dam

LA > Seattle 29/7 > Alaska (Inside Passage)

In the US and Canada, you cannot buy a SIM card for data as easily as you can in, say, Europe. I'm not sure you can do it at all. Chances are that all you'd be able to do is use free wifi where available and load up on caches along the way as you find out your route.

You are going to a lot of stunning places. I have been fortunate to cache in many of these locations - Barstow is the one exception - and am planning another trip to some of these areas. You could spend a lifetime exploring the area so in ten days you will need to be focused on where you go and what you want to do. Most of the areas you identify have some fun caches, including Earthcaches and Virtuals in national parks. These alone could keep you busy. But it depends on what you are interested in doing - my tastes run to petroglyphs, ruins, ghost towns, rock formations, narrow canyons, and a few roadside oddities. I'm not sure if caching brought me to some of these places of if the places brought me to caches.

And it depends on how much time you will want to spend in any one area.

I have never cached "on the fly" through these areas (or cached just to find a container) so I cannot help you with that. But reception will be limited in between - or at - many of your destinations; caches will be limited on Native land, and often you will simply be passing through. I assume that the hotels you will be staying in have wifi so that you could use that to help plan for the next leg of your trip and ensure you can cache offline with either your phone or etrex.

I would use a SIM card for emergencies, reservations, food choices, and the like. But not for caching on a 10 day trip through this area.

Edited by geodarts

We are heading over to the US for a vacation next month. Normally we use our Garmin Etrex 20s and load them up from GSAK as we go. This will be the first time we will be spending time in the US, about 10 days, where as previously we have only overnighted when transiting to other places with the exception of AK.

Our problem, for which I am seeking advice/suggestions, is that we will be on a coach tour and we do not know what route it will take. It's looking like it will be full on, lots of travelling with short breaks here and there between attractions (mostly NPs) and hotels. We would like to pick up caches if possible along the way.

Not knowing the route makes it difficult to do PQs that way. I can do PQs for caches in vicinity of our hotels easy enough.

So I am considering perhaps using my phone to cache "on the fly" so to speak. Phone is Windows Nokia Lumia 620 with Geocaching Live app. I have used the phone a couple of times for caching but much prefer the Etrex.

Would it be possiple to buy a SIM and data plan when we get there or would cell reception be a problem for some places we are visiting (list below). I have no idea of data cost there but it would have to be cheaper than here. Any recommendations? Anyone familiar with caching in these places?

Barston

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Page

Monument Valley

Blanding/Monticello?

Arches NP

Salt Lake City

Jackson WY

Grand Teton NP

Yellowstone

Gardiner MT

Provo UT

Bryce Canyon NP

Zion NP

Las Vegas

Hoover Dam

you will not have reception everywhere.

you do not need reception to cache, use the phones GPS and load maps/caches prior to heading out.

you can buy sim cards from straight talk for any unlocked device, for ,$50

including a month's service.

You are going to a lot of stunning places. I have been fortunate to cache in many of these locations - Barstow is the one exception - and am planning another trip to some of these areas. You could spend a lifetime exploring the area so in ten days you will need to be focused on where you go and what you want to do. Most of the areas you identify have some fun caches, including Earthcaches and Virtuals in national parks. These alone could keep you busy. But it depends on what you are interested in doing - my tastes run to petroglyphs, ruins, ghost towns, rock formations, narrow canyons, and a few roadside oddities. I'm not sure if caching brought me to some of these places of if the places brought me to caches.

I have never cached "on the fly" through these areas (or cached just to find a container) so I cannot help you with that. But reception will be limited in between - or at - many of your destinations; caches will be limited on Native land, and often you will simply be passing through. I assume that the hotels you will be staying in have wifi so that you could use that to help plan for the next leg of your trip and ensure you can cache offline with either your phone or etrex.

I would use a SIM card for emergencies, reservations, food choices, and the like. But not for caching on a 10 day trip through this area.

Thanks. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the tour operator so we aren't able to vary the timing or itinerary. Virtuals are a possiblity but we're not too fond of Earthcaches, unless they're not to complicated or detailed (short attention span :blink: ).

Barston

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Page

Monument Valley

Blanding/Monticello?

Arches NP

Salt Lake City

Jackson WY

Grand Teton NP

Yellowstone

Gardiner MT

Provo UT

Bryce Canyon NP

Zion NP

Las Vegas

Hoover Dam

you do not need reception to cache, use the phones GPS and load maps/caches prior to heading out.

Thanks. I figured reception could be iffy in some places, another reason we prefer to use the Etrexs. We already have N American maps loaded on them.

Thanks. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the tour operator so we aren't able to vary the timing or itinerary. Virtuals are a possiblity but we're not too fond of Earthcaches, unless they're not to complicated or detailed (short attention span :blink: ).

Unless you're staying in real "hole in the wall" hotels, I can't imagine you not having any Internet service. I've traveled to 46 of the lower 48 states and have only rain into no internet service in a motel once. And incidentally, that was at a $50/night place near Mingo in Colby, KS.

Unless you're staying in real "hole in the wall" hotels, I can't imagine you not having any Internet service. I've traveled to 46 of the lower 48 states and have only rain into no internet service in a motel once. And incidentally, that was at a $50/night place near Mingo in Colby, KS.

The hotels seem to be good quality.

Rodeway Inn in a few places and Ramada in Salt Lake City. We always make use of wifi to keep in touch with home by email, or downloading and logging caches. We rarely use our cell phones, even at home.

Since, as you said, you'll be traveling on a tour you're probably going to have a limited amount of time at each of the spots listed. I would probably create a Bookmark list and identify caches that you will likely be able to find at each spot, add them to a Bookmark list, then create a PQ from that. Given that many of the locations are National Parks that's mostly going to be virtuals and earth caches. It also sounds like that you also know the locations where you will be staying overnight in a hotel so you can create small PQs that cover areas within a reasonable proximity of each of the hotels where you might have more time to cache "freestyle". Once everything is in a PQ can save them for offline use in the free official app for complete cache descriptions (note that you won't see any photos in offline mode though).

It sounds like a wonderful trip. It's sounds like something worth creating a blog and updating from the hotels you'll be in as you go...or posting about your progress here.

Barston

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Page

Monument Valley

Blanding/Monticello?

Arches NP

Salt Lake City

Jackson WY

Grand Teton NP

Yellowstone

Gardiner MT

Provo UT

Bryce Canyon NP

Zion NP

Las Vegas

Hoover Dam

Thanks. I figured reception could be iffy in some places, another reason we prefer to use the Etrexs. We already have N American maps loaded on them.

the entire USA is free to download, one 3.7Gb file.

actually, you don't even need maps if you're on a tour, just download a cluster around each of your destinations, and at each stop, get cracking.

save the finds and update when it's convenient.

I believe there USA is severely lagging behind the European areas when it comes to purchasing unlocked smartphones. the public typically leases them here , through the carrier's, and signs contacts each time. the euro folks have figured out that buying a sim as needed makes a lot more sense

Edited by ohgood

Just buy a Garmin Montana and then run PQ's for the entire open range and rocky's region of the US, you'll probably find you can fit geocache on the GPS if you use the GGZ format.

Sure. "Just" spend $400-$600 on a GPS and even though they'll only have a limited time for geocaching, download 10's of thousands of waypoints for caches they'll never have the opportunity to find.

I just came across a site (I have no affiliation or have ever used it) called ZipSim (https://www.zipsim.us) that has sim cards for international travelers in the U.S. They have a Data only card which provides 1GB of data for up to 14 days for $25. Think of all that you can do with the $375-$575 you can save by not buying a new GPS. They also have call+text+data Sim cards.

Just buy a Garmin Montana and then run PQ's for the entire open range and rocky's region of the US, you'll probably find you can fit geocache on the GPS if you use the GGZ format.

Sure. "Just" spend $400-$600 on a GPS and even though they'll only have a limited time for geocaching, download 10's of thousands of waypoints for caches they'll never have the opportunity to find.

I just came across a site (I have no affiliation or have ever used it) called ZipSim (https://www.zipsim.us) that has sim cards for international travelers in the U.S. They have a Data only card which provides 1GB of data for up to 14 days for $25. Think of all that you can do with the $375-$575 you can save by not buying a new GPS. They also have call+text+data Sim cards.

Sure.

Now you only have to find another app you're comfortable with, since the official one's been canned, and you got almost a month to learn it well enough to cache with. :)

I had looked at the itinerary and overlooked the reference to being on a coach. Many of the destinations have virtuals or earthcaches at places you might be likely to see, so I would download those caches in advance so that they are available offline (cell reception will be an issue along the way even if you get a SIM card). The earthcaches I have found in these areas have not been overly complicated so give them a try! I think its easier to use a phone for these types of caches than a handheld gpsr because graphics are often important and an html display is easier to read than the "paperless" functions on my handheld gpsr. You could look them over during some of the downtime on the bus so that you will know what you will be looking for before you arrive. With whatever app you use, make sure you are comfortable with offline use.

If you have free time in some of the areas, you might be able to get out and do a few more. In Salt Lake City, for instance, you will undoubtedly see the Temple Square (with some nearby caches) -- but there is also one of my favorite virtuals about ten blocks away (Gigal - where else can you see a sphinx with Joseph Smith as its head?). I would look at the areas where you are staying and see what might be close. But unless you need a SIM card for other reasons, advance preparation and wifi is probably all you need for caching.

The second part of your trip, the inside passage to Alaska should be a lot of fun as well. We did a similar trip in my pre-caching days and I have wanted to return ever since then.

Sure.

Now you only have to find another app you're comfortable with, since the official one's been canned, and you got almost a month to learn it well enough to cache with. :)

The official app has been canned? Over in the bugs and features subforum there was a release notes posted yesterday for the official app.

Sure.

The official app has been canned? Over in the bugs and features subforum there was a release notes posted yesterday for the official app.

On the very first post, the OP stated they had the Geocaching Live (official) app for Windows..

There was no release note posted for it...

Was supposed to be no longer functiong on June 6, but at least one said it was still working yesterday. :)

On the very first post, the OP stated they had the Geocaching Live (official) app for Windows..

Was supposed to be no longer functiong on June 6, but at least one said it was still working yesterday. :)

There's a difference between not being supported and not functioning anymore. Windows XP (and earlier) are no longer supported but are still functioning.

@colleda

As for not knowing the route, in GSAK you can use the GetCachesOnRoute macro to get caches along the suspected route and the do the same for an alternative. Since you also know the NP's and cities you can get caches in that area too. Starting off with all those already loaded hotel WiFi might be the way to go to load more along the way. I'm sure your guide will know where you'll go and stop so you can load extra caches.

I find it strange you don't know exactly where you're going to go.

<OT>

10 days for that itinerary is stretching it somewhat. Any of the NP's is worth at least a full day to explore. I hope you have nice weather doing the inside passage, we where inside during all of the passage and watched movies. Rain, mist, wind...

</OT>

There's a difference between not being supported and not functioning anymore. Windows XP (and earlier) are no longer supported but are still functioning.

Right...

- Which is why I said, "Now you only have to find another app you're comfortable with, since the official one's been canned".

It was in the post you snipped that from...

From the "Status" thread..."On June 6, 2016, we will end our support for the Geocaching Live app for Windows Phone. When this happens, the app will no longer function".

Edited by cerberus1

@colleda

As for not knowing the route, in GSAK you can use the GetCachesOnRoute macro to get caches along the suspected route and the do the same for an alternative. Since you also know the NP's and cities you can get caches in that area too. Starting off with all those already loaded hotel WiFi might be the way to go to load more along the way. I'm sure your guide will know where you'll go and stop so you can load extra caches.

I find it strange you don't know exactly where you're going to go.

<OT>

10 days for that itinerary is stretching it somewhat. Any of the NP's is worth at least a full day to explore. I hope you have nice weather doing the inside passage, we where inside during all of the passage and watched movies. Rain, mist, wind...

</OT>

Thanks for the tips re GSAK. Although I've used GSAK from almost day 1 I have not explored anywhere near its full potential. The only macro I've used so far is for loading our Garmin Nuvis. I'll have a look at what you suggest.

BTW we do know where we are going just not the routes that will be taken.

We know that we are in for some long days in the coach.

We did the inside passage last year, Vancouver/Seward, so we are familiar with that side of things. It'll be great to do it again to see some of the sites/sights we didn't see last time.

Edited by colleda

Hi, Colleda

Have you tried asking your tour organizers where they have scheduled stops on the journeys? If the coach simply drives from A to B the route taken is irrelevant since you won't be stopping anywhere. If they say something like - we stop every hour at rest areas along Interstate xyz, then you have a better idea.

Also, Have you looked at getting an overseas data plan from your phone supplier. I'm with Telstra on a $30 pre-paid plan and I get a few hundred dollars included credit. When I go overseas I buy a 30-day 300Mb plan for $85.00, which sounds a lot, but actually comes out of my credit which would expire unused anyway. In practice it is free data. The snag is that the 30 days starts when you buy the plan, so I don't buy it till I need it.

I've done a lot with GSAK planning overseas trips so if you want to contact me offline (e-mail rather than message centre, please) I'd be happy to share ideas.

Cheers

Tony

Hi, Colleda

Have you tried asking your tour organizers where they have scheduled stops on the journeys? If the coach simply drives from A to B the route taken is irrelevant since you won't be stopping anywhere. If they say something like - we stop every hour at rest areas along Interstate xyz, then you have a better idea.

Also, Have you looked at getting an overseas data plan from your phone supplier. I'm with Telstra on a $30 pre-paid plan and I get a few hundred dollars included credit. When I go overseas I buy a 30-day 300Mb plan for $85.00, which sounds a lot, but actually comes out of my credit which would expire unused anyway. In practice it is free data. The snag is that the 30 days starts when you buy the plan, so I don't buy it till I need it.

I've done a lot with GSAK planning overseas trips so if you want to contact me offline (e-mail rather than message centre, please) I'd be happy to share ideas.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, some more great suggestions for me to look at. And thanks for the GSAK offer, which I think you may have offered some time ago if my memory is correct?

When we get back from the US we'll be doing a Murray River paddlewheeler cruise then, hopefully, a Euro river cruise next year.