Need New GPS

ok, Haven't geocached in about 4-5 years, had a delorme PN-40 that started to give us troubles and the battery died and wouldn't recharge...got very frustrating. Also had trouble syncing caches. Before that had a Garmin eTrex...old device, manually entered waypoints, but worked pretty well!

Now...My question is...What are you guys using that is affordable, easy to use and has a long battery life (for a full day of geocaching fun!)? I haven't looked up too much yet, just know there is a lot out there. Also, curious about any Apps for a smartphone. I am guessing that a gps is better then a smartphone.

Please, any help and advice would be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

The geocaching app does work...

We've used all four operating systems at some time, and today only think iPhone and Android work okay (for us) for caching.

If you plan to stay basic members, I'd say use a GPSr, as I'm pretty sure you'd need to play offline (for all those dead spots), and that requires a premium membership.

We both still use discontinued Garmin 60cxs, and she has a foretrex for when she's on the bike (I use a nuvi).

If the 60s ever died, we agreed that she'd get a 64s, and I'd grab her "old, outdated" 60cxs. :)

kyocera hydro air- $39 at Walmart, huge screen, glonass, waterproof...

Interesting... I checked the specs. Screen resolution is 540 x 960 which is modest in the phone world (hey, whaddya expect for $39?), but would appear to beat the pants off a Garmin 64 or Oregon. Add 10 bucks for an app like Locus, and you might just have a killer GPS substitute for under $50.

If it hadn't just died (I think...) I'd vote for the eTrex Vista HCx. I've used it off and on for 7 years and my father for several before that. Very dependable and accurate, and via USB you can do a mass upload of waypoints. It's also pretty cheap right now.

That said, my next unit will probably be a Garmin with GLONASS capability to improve accuracy...just not sure which.

Interesting... I checked the specs. Screen resolution is 540 x 960 which is modest in the phone world (hey, whaddya expect for $39?), but would appear to beat the pants off a Garmin 64 or Oregon. Add 10 bucks for an app like Locus, and you might just have a killer GPS substitute for under $50.

see one in person, can compared to whatever standalone your accustomed to. it's just not fair. :-)

see one in person, can compared to whatever standalone your accustomed to. it's just not fair. :-)

Could you tell me more about this, we are new to geochaching and have been using our phones which work great for the most part. Having something dedicated for caching would be better for us though.

Could you tell me more about this, we are new to geochaching and have been using our phones which work great for the most part. Having something dedicated for caching would be better for us though.

What in particular would you like to know more about?