Create gpx file

j6family

I am setting up a geocache event for school kids. I don't want them to enter in the coords manually because of age and time. Since these are on school property I cant publish these. Is there an app out there that will allow me to create a gpx file that is accepted on a Garmin etrex 10 and looks like a geocaching.com cache? Yes I know I can mark them as waypoints but that doesn't give the "real" feel of geocaching.

I do this using GSAK. I mark the spot using one of the Gps. Then I upload the waypoints to GSAK. I then fill out the fields I want to use and then upload them back to the Gps. It works quite well. You can try GSAK for free. The only problem is if you use a MAC. I am not sure what similar software is available.

Basically you can do it using Garmin Basecamp - if it's just about the coordinates, you can create a waypoint, edit the exact location and drag&drop it to the connected Garmin device.

Basecamp is free to download (and quite handy outside the realm of Geocaching too ... I plan my bicycle weekend trips with it ...)

You my need a more detailed map of your area (since Basecamp only comes with the very basic World Map) if you want to place the waypoint on the map, there are precompiled maps to be used with Basecamps both for Mac and Windows in the openstreetmap community (second time I recommend that today, no advertisement intended, they are just community-driven maps with sometimes even more detail than I need ... and non-commercial).