The Game - 8/27/02 - 7pm

fractal

Just starting up a thread for my golden spike event - The Game

It will be an event/adventure cache that is loosly based on the movie The Game, starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

It will require a group of cachers to work together to find me at a secret location...or am I following you...watching your every move? Are you just a pawn in fractal's Game? icon_wink.gif

I've chatted with a few cachers and have agreed to push the date out to Tuesday the 27th of August @ 7pm.

More details to follow as I think them up icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

Well, first of all I would like to give a shout out to fractal for making a gallant attempt at trying to accomodate everyone so all can attend. But as we all know, you can't please everybody. Unless this shindig happens at Silver Falls State Park I'm afraid I can't be there. I've had reservations for about 9 months and Lil Dipper and Homie G will be starting scool shortly thereafter. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. No doubt it will be a blast.

"Isn't the real question here how many cigarettes you smoke in a day?"

quote:
Originally posted by igor71:

Last week was an aberation in frivolity - I hope. icon_wink.gif

Hopefully my schedule will work itself out.

Any ideas on how late this one is going to go?

Starts at 7...should end around 9ish... As for what happens after that....?

-fractal

...hope the mackerel doesn't smell too bad.

Hey Igor, we just assumed you are in the Portland area (are you not?). We're in NE Portland, but are pretty much wusses when it goes to venturing to the "west side" of the city. South, sure; east or north, sure. Don't know exactly why the west side intimidates us so much. Maybe it's cause of all you legendary cachers over there (no offense to you and others, Bodoni). We're gonna have to break out of our shell one of these days.

I'm deep NE - as in near Gresham - so these westside experiences can be quite the excursion.

I feel your pain, dasein....but have no fear of the Westside. As long as you can put up with the occasionally insane traffic, strip malls and random herds of SUVs - you'll be just fine.

Just stick to the major routes...and don't feed the animals. icon_wink.gif

The cache is very loosly based on the movie The Game. There's also a little bit of inspiration from the movie Amélie.

You don't have to watch either movie before doing the cache, but I do suggest it since they are both really great films.

It is not a race between cachers, but a team effort.

At least 1 of each of the following items will be needed by the group:

GPS

Cell phone

Pen/Pencil & paper

Scissors & tape

Calculator

The object of the Game is to find me, fractal icon_cool.gif

The Game will begin at 7pm someplace in downtown Hillsboro, and end someplace in downtown Portland around 9-ish. The MAX will be used for transportation, so plan your parking accordingly.

I'll set up a cache page this week (hopefully it will get approved!) that will have more details on the starting point.

Oh.. and as ususal.. Here's the teaser. You better watch this one, LaurenCat icon_wink.gif

[update]

Ok... Here's the cache page. It's unapproved and not activated, so pay no attention to any coodinates you may see.

[update2] Cache is approved and activated.

-fractal

[This message was edited by fractal on August 20, 2002 at 07:36 PM.]

You may wish to use this forum topic to discuss who is bringing what.

Also, if you know you will be playing the Game, and you have a cell-phone that you will be bringing with you, if you could trust me enough to send me an email with your cell-phone number icon_biggrin.gif I promise I won't use it for anything other than this cache icon_biggrin.gif

More details as I make them up...

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

You may wish to use this forum topic to discuss who is bringing what.

-fractal

Okay, I'll bring the gps and i'll just assume mysister is bringing everything else.

By the way, HILARIOUS teaser. It's got LaurenCat rolling on the linoleum.

I have no idea what to expect on 7/27. Scary.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Nice! A fine piece of work you have produced Mr.f. I am impressed...

I think I know where you are hiding, but I aint sayin where. (Soup's famous last words).

As expected, soupy will have an urgent "sickness" and will leave work early to attend this event.

I gots everything needed, with plenty of anticipation to boot.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I'm gettin' kinda giddy about this one. i hope some newbies to the wednesday crew (or whatever we're called) show up this time. possibly some prolific eastsiders we know can find a babysitter?

I would love to show up to this one, I'm one handed and Laura is about to perform her own c-section, however. She goes in tomorrow and they may induce this weekend. I'll try my best to make it. I have to make one of these get togethers while I'm off work and have time. icon_smile.gif

geosigbuscard.jpg

Even if you don't make it to this Game, I have a strong suspicion that there will be a Game 2.0 in the future. My "behind the scenes crew" and I have a ton of great ideas that we couldn't fit into this one.

We found an awesome hiding spot tonight for one of the items. If we can pull it off, you're all gunna love it icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:
Also, if you know you will be playing the Game, and you have a cell-phone that you will be bringing with you, if you could trust me enough to send me an email with your cell-phone number I promise I won't use it for anything other than this cache

More details as I make them up...

-fractal

i think, maybe icon_wink.gif, that you already have mine.

-my sister

p.s. yes, oregone... i will bring everything else. maybe it will all fit in my handy geocaching bag.

oh fractal! i am dying of anticipation! you couldn't have picked a better day, either. it's the day after my final, so i'll be ready to have some guilt-free fun for the first time in a while.

apparently there's an underground laurencat's ID stealing conspiracy going on because i just can't figure out how you swiped that from me.... icon_wink.gif

anyhow, i'll bring myself and some other stuff. but i hope to be on mysister's team- she's always prepared.

one question: can one wear sandals or skirts to the cache? icon_smile.gif

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

Stay at home, watch movies, and play video games... or wander around with a group of complete strangers in the dark, doing who knows what, going who knows where... ok we're in. I think we can scrounge up most of the items listed. We'll try to get One fish, Two fish to come along for this one as well. How many "teams" will there be on this excursion?

Even though it seems like we're going to have quite a large crowd, everyone will be ONE big team. In a future Game, we will probalby have multiple teams. But, since this is the first one, and it's very experimental, we're going to try and keep it simple, but fun.

And yes LaurenCat, sandals and skirts will be fine icon_smile.gif

I just got back from testing some elements of the Game... Looks like things will work nicely icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by dreeble:

Is this a non-Mac-format file?

....}help{......

Andrea

It's a .zip file, which can be opened on a Mac. We have some Mac folks in here that should be able to help.

After you get it unzipped, it's a .asf file, which you should be able to play back with Microsoft Media Player for Mac... I think icon_wink.gif

-fractal

quote:

After you get it unzipped, it's a .asf file, which you should be able to play back with Microsoft Media Player for Mac... I think icon_wink.gif

-fractal

my mac (using OSX) used stuffit expander to open the file. but all it made was an empty folder... icon_frown.gif .... i think it's theoretically possible to open the file, somehow, but it's beyond me. so just borrowed a pc.

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

quote:

After you get it unzipped, it's a .asf file, which you should be able to play back with Microsoft Media Player for Mac... I think

On our new iMac with OSX (and Microsoft Office v. X for Mac) double-clicking on the .asf icon on the desktop automatically opened Windows Media Player. We were able to view the movie, but got the message "this file may not play correctly because it was compressed by using a codec that is not supported." That's probably why we didn't get any sound with the movie.

This evening we got finds 94 & 95. Will do four more this weekend, then next Tuesday this will be #100. We couldn't think of any better way to celebrate. Just hope I get my A&P paper done before then (it's due next Wednesday). icon_biggrin.gif

This WILL count as an official find, right?

...and yet...

We were planning on coming up from Salem for this one -- our first event cache (after a year of caching, we're embarrassed to admit). And we had a really nifty calculator to contribute, too.

Unfortunately, half of us has a board meeting and the other half has a final due. So we're holdouts for v2.0.

And without knowing how this one turns out, we're all for having the group act as one big team -- we'd hate to be competing with oregone until AFTER he downs some PBRs...

We'll stay tuned!

Half of the eggradio crew is going to try to make it. It will be my first event, and I am trying to get a virgin-geocacher to come join the fun. We are new to Portland (just moved from the east coast) and are excited about how much geocaching there is to do out here. We just did our first west coast cache yesterday.

This got to be WAY bigger than I expected, but it seems like everything should be "OK to go" at 7pm.

Just to clairify, there is only ONE team. Everyone is working together.

Please re-check the cache page so you know where to start The Game.

Double check the items you are bringing (the more pairs of scissors you have, the faster it will go icon_wink.gif ).

Get that cell phone charged up and keep it handy after 7pm.

More people are attending than I originally expected, so if it seems like there isn't enough for everyone to do, let me appologize in advance. This is a new type of cache (event/adventure - kinda like Soup's Apparatus) and a learning experience at the same time. After The Game, feel free to give me any input on how it could have been improved. The next Game will be even better, I promise icon_wink.gif

See you all at the end of The Game!

Good luck to everyone...and good luck to me and my behind-the-scenes crew!

I hope to gawd this thing works! icon_eek.gif

-fractal

quote:

Double check the items you are bringing (the more pairs of scissors you have, the faster it will go icon_wink.gif ).

-fractal

Hillsboro commuters beware! 30 cachers with 30 pairs of scissors can't be a good sign.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Hillsboro commuters beware! 30 cachers with 30 pairs of scissors can't be a good sign.

We can also use these sissors to protect ourselves from the roving gangs of Hillsboro Tech Nerds that populate the area.

Oh.. wait.. that might be us. My bad.

I'm in SoCal but I have been watching this game develop and have been waiting w/ baited breath to see how it went and what it was all about. It's 11:30 pacific time and only one logged visit and one message...I guess everyone is still out having fun...I can't wait to hear about this. The promos and hype were so intense...maybe I should plan my next vacation around The Game II.

...what are ya' gonna do with all those little containers with Feed Your Head pieces of paper? I sure think it would be neat if they start showing up in local caches! We grabbed 3 as souveniers, but would love to stash some in caches near and far. Would sure make people wonder. What do YOU think?