should this be counted as a find?

Syn

I have thought about this and I just cannot come up with a decision.

Please read the log for this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26499 ...look for the log by the catman.

I only defer to the general consensus as of my runabout with fractals "tree hugger".

It does not sit easy with me that he did not look at the cache page at all. That to me is a irresponsible thing to do as it is the cache placers responsibility to scout the area and identify all dangers around the cache site. Which I feel I have done with this cache.

I don't think you should count this as a find. The terrain is 3 1/2 so people should expect some difficulty, even without reading the logs. You may want to bump up this difficulty based on the other logs. Also, he did the right thing in not trying to get a cache he was not comfortable with. That does not mean that he should be able to log it, however.

There's my two cents for the kitty.

I too did this one and thought it was a risky place to put one. I was a little upset when I saw where finders were expected to go and where they would fall to if they slipped. Then I thought, it's up to each person to decide what caches they will attempt. I'm sure if I were 75lbs lighter it wouldn't have been such a big deal. If I were to go on one that was suspended in a tree and I didn't want to climb the tree to get to it, it's a no find. The idea isn't to just see the cache.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

this is a bit off topic, but what if you're able to locate a cache, but don't want to risk retrieving it because of too many other people in the area? Sometimes it's easy to just come back later, but if you're visiting an area that's out of the way, and not planning to return (ie: California) is it fair to say "I would have gotten it if...". Just curiouse what people think about this.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

I would have to say that's a no find as well. Searchers would be expected to return to try again if it were in their hometown. I don't think there should be an out-of-state set of rules. Anyway, if people started doing that in places they would never return to, you know it would start happening closer to home. Always one bad apple.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

this is a bit off topic, but what if you're able to locate a cache, but don't want to risk retrieving it because of too many other people in the area?

but it reminded me of this.

Last fall I found a cache, had my hands on it, but didn't sign the book. It was at the base of a bridge and there we some people around. I just didn't want to expose myself or the ammo box to the scrutiny of the others in the area. Forgot to mention, but this was a day after the Feds warned that a west coast bridge may be blown up. Any way, I did not log a find. Figured I'd be back by this one at another time.

quote:
It does not sit easy with me that he did not look at the cache page at all. That to me is a irresponsible thing to do

Better go re-read his log. He just didn't read the other cacher's log entries. He didn't say he didn't read the cache page. In fact he printed it out and took it with him!

The topic of policing other people's find counts has been discussed ad nauseum in the forums. The cache owner has the right to delete logs, any kind.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion on a cache. Do you want his on your page?

Those are just the kinds of logs which beg me to go hunt this one. Not that I'm into danger, per se, but I just gotta go see where this cache is because most of mine tend to border on being in slightly precarious spots also. If it's something I don't feel comfortable attempting, I won't - but I also won't log it as a find either.

Appears to be close to Exocet's archived Waterboard cache. maybe I'll take another walk through the tunnel for old times sake icon_smile.gif

-

Those are just the kinds of logs which beg me to go hunt this one. Not that I'm into danger, per se, but I just gotta go see where this cache is because most of mine tend to border on being in slightly precarious spots also. If it's something I don't feel comfortable attempting, I won't - but I also won't log it as a find either.

Appears to be close to Exocet's archived Waterboard cache. maybe I'll take another walk through the tunnel for old times sake icon_smile.gif

-

Should all of us non-scuba certified cachers be able to log finds on the scuba caches because we choose not to or can not reach it?

Personally, I'd be happy to boat out to the location of the scuba caches just to say I made an attempt and call it a no-find.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

-

Yup, I've been thinking that since i first read about this cache. Not the safest cache in the world, but i've gone through worse to sign a logbook.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

-

Yup, I've been thinking that since i first read about this cache. Not the safest cache in the world, but i've gone through worse to sign a logbook.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

After reading catman's log, I have a few comments.

I don't see nastiness in his/her log, only concerns about the safety of the cache site. I have sometimes myself listed concerns of one type or another in my logs.

I do not believe it should be marked as a find if the box is still there and the person did not open it up. But that is entirely the cache owner's call.

But why place a cache in an unsafe area to begin with? Certainly you can place challenging caches without endangering people. Just my two cents.

LindaLu

it pretty clear in the description the this maybe considered a 4 difficulty cache. You also have a log earlier on the cache where the person did pretty much the same thing, yet did not log it as a find. With the amount of people that did find it and that other non-find. I would consider it a no find in fairness to everyone. The cacher does have a point about reading logs, I normally don't unless it is a 3 or above just to see what dangers that may arise.

geosigbuscard.jpg

Ratings should have been a big hint. As for deleating the log, I would first ask the cacher to change the log to a not found instead of a find as it is a good story. And like a couple others posting's so far, It makes me want to go hunt this cache as well. I had a cacher ask for a find on one of my caches and after reading his post, I asked that it be a no find and he agreed. Close is not quite good enough in this game for the most parts. But all in all, the cache owner will have to make the call.

But I've seen it said that the expectation is that you "would" have logged it... meaning that there was an immediate circumstance preventing you from retrieving it. I believe the specific instance that I'm referring to was a cacher that didn't follow through with logging a cache because another group of cachers was there finishing up... not sure why. The cache owner granted permission to the cacher saying they "would" have logged it had it been available. I guess ultimately, it is up to the cache owner to call the shots.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44