Where have all the TBs Gone

PINPACK

I have not found a TB OR trackable in over a year; very strange and not the way it used to be! Where have they all gone? Anyone else experiencing this? Very frustrating bc i have lost money on something i thought was going to travel and stay in circulation! I have one that hasn't been logged for two years; someone help me out?

I have not found a TB OR trackable in over a year; very strange and not the way it used to be! Where have they all gone? Anyone else experiencing this? Very frustrating bc i have lost money on something i thought was going to travel and stay in circulation! I have one that hasn't been logged for two years; someone help me out?

Unfortunately that is kind of the norm for trackables. They seem to go missing, get improperly logged, or end up in someone's pocket. It seems especially true for Geocoins. It's probably best to never assume you will see your trackable item or hitchhiker again. I have found a few this year - but I often go looking for them.

Regarding caches that list trackables but don't have them...everyone can help. I suspect if the cache inventory was accurate it would not seem like so many are missing. If you run across such a cache you can let the cache owner and the trackable owner know the trackable is not there. Either can mark the item missing which will remove it from the cache inventory but NOT remove it from the game.

Good Luck! I hope you run across a trackable soon!

You are not alone. It's epidemic. And what's strange is that even when I make it abundantly clear and easy for the finder to KNOW not only what they found, but instructions on EXACTLY how to log their find (metal travel buddy with clear instructions), they STILL mysteriously disappear at an alarming rate. This tells me a couple of things: A lot of cachers out there simply don't read the attached instructions (which by the way are attached by a stainless steel key ring and cemented with lock-tite) and just go on their merry way not knowing or caring what they found. Apparently to many, those shiny metal tags attached sure are pretty but have too many boring words printed on them..., OR, 2: There are cachers out their that know exactly what it is, but choose an attitude of "finders keepers" and too bad so sad, adios TB.

I have two that I sent off into the world and both have gone missing. Finders actually logged them as being in their possession and then never sent them back on their way. I would think that someone wanting to keep them wouldn't bother logging that they have them. I've tried contacting both cachers but have gotten no replies. The whole experience has completely soured me on TBs :mad: and, barring getting one as a gift or FTF prize, I don't think I'll send any more out.

There are a lot of TBs around these parts. Stuff going missing it part of a game unfortuantely. Caches get muggled too. The tbs that I watch that seems to be the logest lived are ones in memory of someone or something

It may be a reality of the game, but it certainly isn't a sanctioned part of the game. If it were a recognized part of the game like infractions in football, then there would be penalties for those infractions. "Holding TB too long on TheAuthorityFigures! 5 smiley penalty!" "Retrieving TB from cache without loging, mesillywoohoo, 10 Smiley penalty!" "Giving in to Childs demand to keep TB, FamilyTryingThisGameOutForTheFirstTime, automiatic game ejection!" :laughing:

There are a lot of TBs around these parts. Stuff going missing it part of a game unfortuantely. Caches get muggled too. The tbs that I watch that seems to be the logest lived are ones in memory of someone or something

It may be a reality of the game, but it certainly isn't a sanctioned part of the game. If it were a recognized part of the game like infractions in football, then there would be penalties for those infractions. "Holding TB too long on TheAuthorityFigures! 5 smiley penalty!" "Retrieving TB from cache without loging, mesillywoohoo, 10 Smiley penalty!" "Giving in to Childs demand to keep TB, FamilyTryingThisGameOutForTheFirstTime, automiatic game ejection!" :laughing:

Of course it's not a sanctioned part of the game. But this is real life and people suck and you've got to accept reality and stop being bitter about it. Your TB disappears. Release a new one. They aren't super expensive. Or make a replacement for the lost one. It's not hard.

The fact is a lot of people start geocaching but don't keep with it. They get bored or burnt out and just never do it again. Or they die. My friend's tb ended up with a lady who got hit by a car and killed. She knows because the lady's brother found the tb and contacted her. It's unfortunate but that happens. Then if you have a cache somewhere where it floods and your tb was in there? It's lost.

They might turn up years from now they might not just like any buried treasure which is what this game is about. Finding things hidden.

TBs disappear and that's all there is to it. I had one I placed about a year and a half ago. It moved to one cache 40 miles away, was picked up and logged, and then nothing for exactly 1 year when it was placed in another cache a short distance away. A short time later the CO of that cache marked it missing from his cache. It has not been logged as picked up and I expect it's not going to be. If the cost of them is a big issue to you I'd advise you to drop out of the game as they are going to disappear and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Lots of folks pay attention to the inventory which lists TBs that are supposed to be there. I never bother looking as it is seldom accurate and I'm not really looking for TBs anyway. If they are there I'll move them on but I don't go looking for them.

Of course it's not a sanctioned part of the game. But this is real life and people suck and you've got to accept reality and stop being bitter about it. Your TB disappears. Release a new one. They aren't super expensive. Or make a replacement for the lost one. It's not hard.

The fact is a lot of people start geocaching but don't keep with it. They get bored or burnt out and just never do it again. Or they die. My friend's tb ended up with a lady who got hit by a car and killed. She knows because the lady's brother found the tb and contacted her. It's unfortunate but that happens. Then if you have a cache somewhere where it floods and your tb was in there? It's lost.

They might turn up years from now they might not just like any buried treasure which is what this game is about. Finding things hidden.

looks like someone read my post the wrong way. This ( :laughing: ) was suppose to clue you in on the nature of the post. It was in jest.

looks like someone read my post the wrong way. This ( :laughing: ) was suppose to clue you in on the nature of the post. It was in jest.

What is supposed to clue me in that it was a jest? Is it an emote? They aren't working on my tablet for some reason. They show as a box with an X

I'm glad you were jesting. I've heard people truly get upset and suggest points and such if people did something 'wrong'

What is supposed to clue me in that it was a jest? Is it an emote? They aren't working on my tablet for some reason. They show as a box with an X

I'm glad you were jesting. I've heard people truly get upset and suggest points and such if people did something 'wrong'

yes, sorry, it was a laughing Signal. I agree that getting upset is, in the end, a waste of energy, but with that being said... I understand why many do get upset. It's natural. It's their property. Some put them out to commemorate a special occasion or person, and there is an emotional attachment. When that person perceives their property being treated badly, I can't really blame them. This is why I treat all of them that I come across as exactly what they are... someone else's personal private property.

Reminds me of that saying, Common courtesy...isn't. at least not anymore.

I'm convinced that some Geocachers are out to collect these regardless of the owners wishes for it to keep traveling. We have gone after many, many caches because of the trackballs listed, all over the Northeast and even down South and have found nothing. Caches with 1 listed or even one cache earlier this year with 10 listed and nothing. :( We try to make note of that in our logs and have messaged owners and cache owners about it without response. Kinda a letdown to us about the whole geocaching game to be honest, I figured that at some point we'd find a cache with the listed item(s) not there, but it is a constant thing now, just about every time we find a cache...nobody home!

My only wish is that COs (Cache Owners) would maintain their cache inventory lists. There are dozens of caches I have come across with inventories of TBs/GCs that have been missing for multiple years. Too bad there isn't a better workflow or option available to automate this or something? Course if COs just maintained/took care of their caches this would be a non-issue.....

My only wish is that COs (Cache Owners) would maintain their cache inventory lists. There are dozens of caches I have come across with inventories of TBs/GCs that have been missing for multiple years. Too bad there isn't a better workflow or option available to automate this or something? Course if COs just maintained/took care of their caches this would be a non-issue.....

I sorta agree, but I'd also like to see the Trackable Owners sharing some of this blame.

The CO now has to do extra maintenance because of a side-game he may not have been asked (or interested enough in) to play.

We use ammo cans. I'll get to maintenance next year some time...

If the TOs helped by keeping track of what their trackable's up to, TB missing threads may well become a non-issue. :)

It might be a good idea to let cache owners know how it's done. I would post it as a Write Note log so everyone learns, but you could private message.

From the Help Center 2.6. Mark Missing - Trackable on page but not there physically:

If you are the owner of the geocache where the Trackable is listed, you can mark the item as missing. This will remove it from the geocache inventory, and place the Trackable in an "unknown location." This will not effect the mileage of the Trackable. Later, if the Trackable is found, it can be grabbed and placed into the correct location. Mileage will be calculated from its previous location.

To do this, go to the Trackable's page, and choose from among the "Trackable Item Options." If you are the geocache owner, the menu will already be on the "Mark bug missing" option. Click "Go" and when the page refreshes, at the top it will ask "Are you sure you want to mark this Travel Bug missing?" Click "Yes" to complete the action.

I sorta agree, but I'd also like to see the Trackable Owners sharing some of this blame.

The CO now has to do extra maintenance because of a side-game he may not have been asked (or interested enough in) to play.

We use ammo cans. I'll get to maintenance next year some time...

If the TOs helped by keeping track of what their trackable's up to, TB missing threads may well become a non-issue. :)

I couldn't agree more. As a CO and a TO, it is up to me to keep track of my TB's. I have messaged/emailed a few folks who currently have a few of my tb's (for an extended amount of time) just as a friendly request to "inventory" what I have out their. Some are responsive, some are not. I have posted notes on cache logs asking if the next finder could confirm the presence or absence of our tb. But I've stopped short of messaging a CO directly to ask if he/she could inventory their cache for us. If I can confirm one of ours is indeed missing from the listed cache, I don't wait for the CO to mark it missing, I do it myself.

I found 76 caches in 2007-8, took a bit of a break with 15 caches from 2009-15. I've found 51 caches this year, and not a single TB or GC. The difference is amazing to me. 8 or 9 years ago, it felt like I could expect a trackable or two in most caches I found.

I used to find and move trackables all the time in like 2010-2012. I started to find fewer and fewer in 2013 and I honestly don't think I have seen a single one in the last 2 years.

Edited by ZeekLTK

I found 76 caches in 2007-8, took a bit of a break with 15 caches from 2009-15. I've found 51 caches this year, and not a single TB or GC. The difference is amazing to me. 8 or 9 years ago, it felt like I could expect a trackable or two in most caches I found.

I used to find and move trackables all the time in like 2010-2012. I started to find fewer and fewer in 2013 and I honestly don't think I have seen a single one in the last 2 years.

We noticed trackables dwindling around '09, but I believe it was due to low D/T micros steadily becoming the majority of hides placed .

Simply little room for anything.

When the free Intro app appeared in '13 or so, a lotta low D/T caches got hit by kids-with-apps grabbing trackables (as souvenirs maybe?), and sometimes caches too.

Why bother to learn the "game" if it's for a weekend, I guess...

This continues today with those low D/T hides.

Rare for us to do roadside, parking lot, or urban hides anymore.

With some placing micros or "smalls" (actually micros) in wooded areas now too, we're still seeing fewer trackables than years ago because of size/space, but the higher terrain rating (not on the basic app) allows us to find more than when we cached "around town". :)

Yeah, I have had a few experiences with lost trackables before, for example...

TB6J07P was missing at GC3MKZW, until DavisDwellers found it at GCNBME, and it has been in my inventory on two separate occasions now.

When I found GC4862D, TB5PH2T was supposed to be in there, but it wasn't there! Apparently it's "been there" for three years now!

TB5JFPT was missing at GC4VPTG, until kapparos family found it, and then it was immediately lost again until 2RottenPears found it at GCYK16, and now I have it in my inventory.

So yeah, trackables get lost a lot. And as long as there are people who forget to log their trackables, there always will be.

TB6J07P was missing at GC3MKZW, until DavisDwellers found it at GCNBME, and it has been in my inventory on two separate occasions now.

When I found GC4862D, TB5PH2T was supposed to be in there, but it wasn't there! Apparently it's "been there" for three years now!

TB5JFPT was missing at GC4VPTG, until kapparos family found it, and then it was immediately lost again until 2RottenPears found it at GCYK16, and now I have it in my inventory.

So yeah, trackables get lost a lot. And as long as there are people who forget to log their trackables, there always will be.

So you do know that you are not supposed to keep other people's trackables?

B.

So you do know that you are not supposed to keep other people's trackables?

B.

I am taking them places, helping them on their journey. Other people have, like all of them!

Also, turns out that TB5V1X8 was lost, but then discovered by Team Straat-egisch in GC45X2F.

I referenced a TB that was picked up in the second cache it was placed in and was in the hands of the cacher for a year and finally placed in another cache only to be picked up several months ago and not logged. It was marked missing by the CO and I assumed gone. It got dropped in another cache also without being logged and picked up by someone the other day who did log it.

So why shouldn't the CO of that cache be castigated for not checking the cache to find out that there was a TB in it and not on his inventory? If a CO should make sure that the inventory doesn't list something not there why shouldn't they make sure that something that is there is listed?

People historically don't do what they are supposed to do. For example, we have speed limits posted all over the highways but they are generally ignored as are stop signs, turn signals, are laws requiring licenses and insurance coverage (2 out of 3 times I've been hit were by unlicensed, uninsured drivers), and so on. We have police to enforce these LAWS and can't manage to stop the violators. How do you expect someone to enforce RULES in a GAME that has no referees? Or should we start paying people to do so and still not manage to get the job done any better than it is now?

So why shouldn't the CO of that cache be castigated for not checking the cache to find out that there was a TB in it and not on his inventory? If a CO should make sure that the inventory doesn't list something not there why shouldn't they make sure that something that is there is listed?

Nothing wrong with, or has anything to do my cache, but now I'm supposed to check "just in case " someone might have dropped in a TB from a side-game at some point?

If I don't, I should be reprimanded? That's just too weird...

And no, that's not happening. :laughing:

We use ammo cans.

If I'm in a good mood and need a walk, I'll check 'em maybe every six months, even though it isn't needed.

Most times it's once a year.

One, knowing that folks were finally hitting our lengthy paddle-to, decided to check it's condition.

Years (untouched), and everything inside was still dry, just the way I left it.

We don't all place caches along the roadside, or parking lots.

Sheesh...

I guess I wasn't clear and what you said about "that's too weird" is just the point I was making. If the one is a mark of a good CO (keeping inventory cleared of TBs not there) why isn't keeping the inventory updated to includes ones that are there also the mark of a good CO. If a cacher only goes to a cache because a TB is there then why should the cacher miss a cache because the inventory doesn't include the ones that are there. Both situations exist because of a failure to log.

I don't expect a CO to do either and I never look at the inventory simply because it isn't accurate nor is it an important part of the game to me.

People are supposed to log TBs and move them and log them when they do but the point is that people don't always do what they are supposed to do even when we're talking about LAWS as opposed to RULES of a game. All the hoopla over the inaccuracies of the inventory isn't worth the rise in blood pressure - it is a game not a matter of life and death.

I guess I wasn't clear and what you said about "that's too weird" is just the point I was making. If the one is a mark of a good CO (keeping inventory cleared of TBs not there) why isn't keeping the inventory updated to includes ones that are there also the mark of a good CO. If a cacher only goes to a cache because a TB is there then why should the cacher miss a cache because the inventory doesn't include the ones that are there. Both situations exist because of a failure to log.

I thought you were very clear, but that's the "failure" of cachers, not a CO.

To "include ones that are there" would require a CO to manage their caches in a way that's simply not practical.

I know no one with esp.

The only way to know if a trackable "might" be there to keep the cache inventory accurate is constant maintenance, after each found it log.

Last week I went to drop off a TB at a bug drop and found a second container there with a bunch of them. I wish I had written all the numbers down so I could log I discovered them, but I didn't even think about it. I took one to move on and turns out it went missing a few years ago from that very spot. Apparently someone has a conscience. Yesterday I found two that didn't have the thing attached to the TB tag and they went missing in Iowa. I'm in Washington. Weird.

Cerebis1, I don't believe you get me yet. The point of the hyperbole of checking to make sure that a TB not listed might be in the cache leads to the silly idea of even daily maintenance still not getting an accurate inventory because one dropped off and logged on a smart phone at 3:00 might be picked up at 4:00 and not logged until the next day (or even at all) means the inventory is going to be inaccurate until checked again by the CO and corrected. Any idea that an accurate inventory is even possible is a pipe dream. If the CO does monthly maintenance on October 1 and the TB listed on the inventory is there but picked up 2 hours after he checked and not logged (maybe never again), the log is inaccurate until November 12 when he checks again and updates. So is he fair game for complaints for not maintaining an accurate inventory until a month later when he does his monthly check? How about the cacher that looks to pick up a TB showing on an inventory and finding it gone. He doesn't know that it was picked up 15 minutes earlier -- is the CO fair game for complaints about inaccurate inventories?

If you are in business or work for one, even with a computerized inventory system that deducts inventory at point of sale you will never have an accurate inventory if you rely on what the computer shows. UPC codes get messed up requiring manual entry, product gets damaged requiring manual deductions, returns are made requiring manual adjustments often, stuff get stolen, new stuff comes in and has to be added manually, and so on. At best, the inventory in the store is a guide to what the computer thinks is there based on the information made available to it. Just like the inventory of a cache is a guide to what GC thinks is there based on the information that was made available to them. In both cases, the only reasonable assurance that an inventory is correct is a physical count and at that point -- and only at that point -- is it correct. Maybe. As soon as the contents are open to the public it again becomes nothing more than a guide to what should be there because errors are able to begin creeping in just as soon as someone can actually touch the inventory and start making changes.

Now in a business you are paying people to do what they are supposed to do and some don't or don't do it correctly. This is a game and for the sake of enjoyment and fair play we ought to do what we are supposed to do and we have ample evidence that some don't or don't do it correctly. It is just the way it is as it is in every other aspect of life. I have seen a lot of complaints about people who don't put out caches and how they are freeloaders. Why would I want to put out a cache when I am leaving myself open to complaints about inaccurate inventories, quality of the swag, quality of the cache, quality of the placement of the cache, and on and on and on.

This is not a professional sport -- it is simple game. If you are reaching the point of anger over an inaccurate inventory I submit your enjoyment level is dropping significantly. I would suggest the same thing I suggest to people letting a TB go and getting upset over the results when people don't do what they are supposed to do. Sit back, open a refreshing beverage, and take a deep breath because you got no control over what others do or don't do and it just ain't worth raising your blood pressure into unhealthy ranges over this game.