Souvenirs

I got a Souvenir for attending a flash mob event in 2013 & 2014 on World Wide Flash Mob day. I didn't (yet) get one for attending a World Wide Flash Mob event this year (6-4-16). Is Groundspeak no longer awarding souvenirs for WWFMs?

I didn't see any announcement regarding the WWFM for this year. I don't believe they had one. The Geocaching Blog and Newsletter is usually where they announce new upcoming Souvenirs.

The entire concept of a Flash Mob is "A flash mob is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then quickly disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression." Usually lasting fifteen minutes or less.

As per the guidelines: "Event Caches will now be a minimum of 30 minutes."

Thirty minutes is NOT a Flash Mob event! The one I went to had nothing to do with 'Flash Mob', and lasted over an hour. Yes, it was a nice event. Buy it had nothing to do with "Flash Mob". I doubt that many Flash Mob Events had anything to do with Flash Mobs. Nice concept. But it didn't work as a Flash Mob. I'd guess that GS decided the same thing: These are not Flash Mobs. And gave up on the concept.

The entire concept of a Flash Mob is "A flash mob is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then quickly disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression." Usually lasting fifteen minutes or less.

As per the guidelines: "Event Caches will now be a minimum of 30 minutes."

Thirty minutes is NOT a Flash Mob event!

Yeah, the "flash mob" part isn't going to last 30 minutes. (Except maybe something massive like the MP3 experiments that Improv Everywhere does.)

But some of the flash mob geocaching events I've gone to have actually been real flash mobs. We met at one location, received our instructions and/or rehearsed, and then set off to inflict our insanity upon hapless bystanders somewhere else (but within walking distance). And others have been close to a real flash mob, mainly ignoring the "quickly disperse" part (assemble suddenly, do something random for a short time, then stand around talking about geocaching for quite a while).

But yeah, a lot of the flash mob geocaching events have been just like any other event, except that the "official business" part of the event (signing the log, conducting a raffle, etc.) took place in 10-15 minutes. Everyone gathered in a random spot and wrote their geocaching names on cards ("signing the log"), then someone drew a few of the cards for a raffle, and then everybody pretended to leave, but actually stood around talking about geocaching for quite a while.

How do I get information on available Souvenirs?

Link for reference:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=436

That shows me what geographic areas offer souvenirs, but it doesn't say what souvenirs are coming up (time based/cache based criteria).

To be fair you asked how to get information on "available" souvenirs, and souvenirs that are coming up aren't available yet :rolleyes:

You just need to wait until they're announced.

In any case this list is more reliable than Groundspeak's believe it or not ! http://thea-team.net/souvenir

Edited by MartyBartfast

How do I get information on available Souvenirs?

Link for reference:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=436

That shows me what geographic areas offer souvenirs, but it doesn't say what souvenirs are coming up (time based/cache based criteria).

To be fair you asked how to get information on "available" souvenirs, and souvenirs that are coming up aren't available yet :rolleyes:

You just need to wait until they're announced.

In any case this list is more reliable than Groundspeak's believe it or not ! http://thea-team.net/souvenir

Where are souvenirs announced? Thats what I'm asking.

Usually in the Geocaching Blog, and/or in the weekly newsletter.

The Blog/newsletter is used for announcing most of the promotional souvenirs that are often based on a specific date (or date range, as was the case for the souvenir a day in August a couple of years ago.) The blog/newsletter and even forum posts were used to announce that last batch of country/region based souvenirs. However, there is *usually* a souvenir available for Mega/Giga events and those are listed on A-Team's souvenir page.

The Blog/newsletter is used for announcing most of the promotional souvenirs that are often based on a specific date (or date range, as was the case for the souvenir a day in August a couple of years ago.) The blog/newsletter and even forum posts were used to announce that last batch of country/region based souvenirs. However, there is *usually* a souvenir available for Mega/Giga events and those are listed on A-Team's souvenir page.

This is from the last newsletter:

Celebrate Get Outdoors Day with Geocaching

This Saturday is Get Outdoors Day. You probably know what that means… It’s time to get out geocaching! By finding a geocache or attending an event on June 11, you’ll even earn a new souvenir for your profile.

Can I get the link to the souvenir blog/newsletter?

Can I get the link to the souvenir blog/newsletter?

www.geocaching.com/blog is the link to the blog

Also if you go to your account settings, and then Email Preferences you can select to receive emails when they post something new or have a new announcement. This is how I find out about most of the souvenirs they have coming out.

Also if you go to your account settings, and then Email Preferences you can select to receive emails when they post something new or have a new announcement. This is how I find out about most of the souvenirs they have coming out.

You could also follow @GoGeocaching, which is the official Groundspeak Twitter account. They've been known to tweet about new souvenirs on there, and that's the first place I heard about a few of them.

...or, just keep an eye on my website! :laughing:

You could also follow @GoGeocaching, which is the official Groundspeak Twitter account. They've been known to tweet about new souvenirs on there, and that's the first place I heard about a few of them.

I guess I'll follow the twitter account, the only upcoming souvenir listed is "Get outdoors day" but I'd like to know whats going on for August this year.

I guess I'll follow the twitter account, the only upcoming souvenir listed is "Get outdoors day" but I'd like to know whats going on for August this year.

You'll find out like the rest of us when/if they announce a souvenir promotion for August. So far they haven't announced anything about, but when they do, it'll be in the Newsletter and/or Blog.

You'll find out like the rest of us when/if they announce a souvenir promotion for August. So far they haven't announced anything about, but when they do, it'll be in the Newsletter and/or Blog.

That's correct. They haven't announced anything yet. I have heard that SOMETHING will happen this summer similar to the past couple years. And also that there will be something for International Geocaching Day in August.

That's correct. They haven't announced anything yet. I have heard that SOMETHING will happen this summer similar to the past couple years. And also that there will be something for International Geocaching Day in August.

There always seems to be something for August 17 but I don't see what it is so I better follow that twitter account. I know some people are having events that day and taking off from work to geocache!

There always seems to be something for August 17 but I don't see what it is so I better follow that twitter account. I know some people are having events that day and taking off from work to geocache!

It's unlikely that there will be anything special happening on August 17th, since that's just a random Wednesday. However, International Geocaching Day is held on the 3rd Saturday of August, which this year falls on August 20th. There has been a souvenir for International Geocaching Day every year since it was started in 2011, so I'd say it's safe to assume there will be one this year too.

It's unlikely that there will be anything special happening on August 17th, since that's just a random Wednesday. However, International Geocaching Day is held on the 3rd Saturday of August, which this year falls on August 20th. There has been a souvenir for International Geocaching Day every year since it was started in 2011, so I'd say it's safe to assume there will be one this year too.

^Yes to this. International Geocaching Day will be on a Saturday not a Wednesday

I assumed since somebody's event was going to be August 17 and that my souvenir from a couple years ago said August 17, it was the same day this year. Who made International Geocaching Day the 3rd Saturday of August?

I assumed since somebody's event was going to be August 17 and that my souvenir from a couple years ago said August 17, it was the same day this year.

What events are these?

I've received the International Geocaching Day souvenir on:

August 19, 2011 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 18, 2012 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 17, 2013 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 15, 2015 (3rd Saturday in August)

Who made International Geocaching Day the 3rd Saturday of August?

The people who created the souvenirs...Groundspeak.

B.

I assumed since somebody's event was going to be August 17 and that my souvenir from a couple years ago said August 17, it was the same day this year.

What events are these?

I've received the International Geocaching Day souvenir on:

August 19, 2011 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 18, 2012 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 17, 2013 (3rd Saturday in August)

August 15, 2015 (3rd Saturday in August)

Who made International Geocaching Day the 3rd Saturday of August?

The people who created the souvenirs...Groundspeak.

B.

So its an unofficial holiday then. Also, the events I saw were for July 17 not August 17 I mis counted my months. So theres something for July 17 I can't wait to find out what it is, maybe another road trip or something?

Edited by Pond Bird

So its an unofficial holiday then.

Seriously? You thought International Geocaching Day was some sort of "official" holiday?

It's as "official" as National Doughnut Day.

Also, the events I saw were for July 17 not August 17 I mis counted my months. So theres something for July 17 I can't wait to find out what it is, maybe another road trip or something?

As we've said a few times already, GS has had souvenir promotions in August. Last year's was spread out over the summer.

Why do you think an event is connected to a souvenir? Did the event write-up say something about a souvenir?

If you would post the GC code(s) of this (these) event(s), it would help a lot.

B.

B.

This one, maybe:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6KBNP_i-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for-ice-cream

What about that listing makes you think you would get a souvenir?

I think it was just because there was a souvenir on August 17 one year (and close to that date in other recent years) and he was confused about this event being in July rather than August. Massive confusion.

B.

This one, maybe:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6KBNP_i-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for-ice-cream

I think it was just because there was a souvenir on August 17 one year (and close to that date in other recent years) and he was confused about this event being in July rather than August. Massive confusion.

SO that is my event. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of any souvenirs for this summer other than my thoughts that there will probably be on for International Geocaching Day. No where on the cache page do I say that attendees will earn a souvenir, I have no idea why Pond Bird assumed that. I just wanted to have an Ice Cream event and just happened to pick July 17th which is a random date. For some reason he thinks I know everything about upcoming souvenirs or something...

B.

This one, maybe:

Exactly.

B.

This one, maybe:

SO that is my event. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of any souvenirs for this summer other than my thoughts that there will probably be on for International Geocaching Day. No where on the cache page do I say that attendees will earn a souvenir, I have no idea why Pond Bird assumed that. I just wanted to have an Ice Cream event and just happened to pick July 17th which is a random date. For some reason he thinks I know everything about upcoming souvenirs or something...

You knew about "hello" and "goodbye" ahead of time, and you knew about the WWFM events (this year and last) before many others did. I was told you were also on a geocaching podcast with people who organize the consent given to hold WWFM events and give out supplies.

B.

This one, maybe:

You knew about "hello" and "goodbye" ahead of time, and you knew about the WWFM events (this year and last) before many others did. I was told you were also on a geocaching podcast with people who organize the consent given to hold WWFM events and give out supplies.

I knew about the Goodbye 2015 and Hello 2016 at the same time everyone else did. We got an email from Geocaching.com about it. The WWFM events have been happening for 13 years. Hence this year was WWFM XIII. So I didn't know about it before anyone else, it happens every year in June. The WWFM event idea was created by Team Podcacher of the Podcacher podcast (podcacher.com). I didn't know about it until 2015. You don't need consent to host a WWFM event. I did not get any supplies from anyone. I found out the date for this years WWFM events at the same time that many others did as it was announced months ago on the Podcacher podcast. And yes I have been a guest on some podcasts before but never Podcacher. So all of those statements are incorrect. Maybe you should double check your sources and not believe everything you hear

Edited by Sherminator18