Tin Cup Geocaching Contest

Pork King

Funny how just about every one of these recent "promotional" trackables (NCEES, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Tin Cup) show "In the hands of the owner" still. Reminds me of the old Yellow Jeep and White Jeep trackables. What's the point of doing this sort of contest if there's almost a guarantee that you'll never see one "In the wild"?

I ordered an NCEES and a Diary of a Wimpy Kid trackable, and promptly released them into a cache. I wonder if they'll ever be seen again.

I took my tin cup trackable all the way from Ohio to California, was going to put it in California's oldest cache, and that morning I left it sitting on the table where we had breakfast, and it was lost, never to be found! I was quite annoyed! At least I took it to an event in Ohio and a number of folks got to discover it before I left!

If I were lucky enough to buy one of the Tin Cups I would never release it either. There are three in my area, according to the map, all "In the hands of the owner'.

So far I have not seen any for sale on eBay like some of the other promotional trackables.

That's the thing...they aren't bought. They are given away to be released into caches.

If I were lucky enough to buy one of the Tin Cups I would never release it either. There are three in my area, according to the map, all "In the hands of the owner'.

So far I have not seen any for sale on eBay like some of the other promotional trackables.

That's the thing...they aren't bought. They are given away to be released into caches.

Yes, I understand that. But, it never happens and many promotional trackables end up on eBay. :)

I put my Tin Cup trackable in GC5P2MP.

The way the geocoin collectors seem to vacuum up coins from the wild continues to depress me. I really like finding them and, then, moving them on. I had once hoped to start designing and having my own coins made, but that's just never going to happen.

Edited by Alkhalikoi
The way the geocoin collectors seem to vacuum up coins from the wild continues to depress me. I really like finding them and, then, moving them on. I had once hoped to start designing and having my own coins made, but that's just never going to happen.

We still have 3/4 of a box of trackable sig coins, but kinda gave up on the "send 'em out to just get stolen again" thing.

I now give 'em away, unactivated, in caches that I really liked (often a lengthy hike) as an incentive to get others to walk a bit. :)

I had a log come in for a Texas Challenge Geocoin i own that but never released. I never gave its tracking number to anyone. In the log, the person stated they got its number from the "tincup" website. I'm sure it's on a list(s) somewhere but i wasn't able to find anything on the tin cup whiskey website. I didn't really think it would be listed there but might there be another tin cup site out there?

Nevermind, just found the answer posted by Moun10Bike in another thread.

Yeah, he lied. He not only logged 500+ Tincup trackables that day, he also logged 300+ other trackables with tracking codes starting with TC. That indicates he was just cold logging a bunch of possible codes.