Simple wireless transfer from Android to GPS

elphin

I guess I am looking for a hybrid standalone GPS that can (on demand) connect wirelessly to my Android smartphone.

Here is my thinking. I am happy to load up the geocaches I plan to find ahead of my day, but occasionally I might stray from my days plan and go elsewhere. When you are on the road you can't easily update the GPS with new geocaches.

I was wondering if there is a GPS on the market that can connect (via bluetooth would be great, or even a cable) so you can use your smartphone to download geocaches on the fly.

I don't want to jeopardise the battery usage of the standalone GPS for this feature, but if it could be turned on and turned off on a needs basis then I imagine the extra battery usage would minimal, and the flexibility of being to add caches on the run would be awesome.

Be great to do this without any middleman wifi storage devices if possible.

Any simple one click ideas out there? I've read about the Garmins but not seen any apps or hardware to seemlessly & easily transfer caches from phone to GPS.

• Modern Android smartphones support OTG. With a special OTG cable you can connect your smartphone with your GPSr.
  • The Garmin Monterra is equipped with WiFi and runs on Android. With a FTP client/server app on both sides, file transfer between Monterra and smartphone is possible.
  • Some Garmin models are equipped with bluetooth, but I wouldn't know if file transfer is possible.
  • Last option: you can put the micro SD cart of your GPSr into the smartphone, save a gpx on it and put in back in your GPSr.

I guess I am looking for a hybrid standalone GPS that can (on demand) connect wirelessly to my Android smartphone.

Here is my thinking. I am happy to load up the geocaches I plan to find ahead of my day, but occasionally I might stray from my days plan and go elsewhere. When you are on the road you can't easily update the GPS with new geocaches.

I was wondering if there is a GPS on the market that can connect (via bluetooth would be great, or even a cable) so you can use your smartphone to download geocaches on the fly.

I don't want to jeopardise the battery usage of the standalone GPS for this feature, but if it could be turned on and turned off on a needs basis then I imagine the extra battery usage would minimal, and the flexibility of being to add caches on the run would be awesome.

Be great to do this without any middleman wifi storage devices if possible.

Any simple one click ideas out there? I've read about the Garmins but not seen any apps or hardware to seemlessly & easily transfer caches from phone to GPS.

wireless transfer only works between approved devices from the same manufacturer (garmin to garmin), it's not like easy sharing of a file over bluetooth/wifi/dlna/whatever in the smartphone world.

you can always just cache on the smartphone, and skip the standalone all together.

I'm not aware of any wireless solutions, but I have used an OTG cable to connect my cell phone and Garmin and transfer between the two, doing exactly what you asked for. I used the phone app to download caches on the fly and then exported from the phone directly to my Garmin. This has worked well for me using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and S6, connecting to a Garmin eTrex 30 or GPSMAP 64s. No special software or rooting the phone was required. When I connect the two, the Garmin boots into mass storage mode and the Android File Manager pops up on the phone and shows both the internal Garmin memory and the SD card. You just need to be using a phone app that supports importing and exporting GPX files. In my case, that's Cachesence. There are a couple other apps that support that as well.

An OTG cable is inexpensive and works great. You can also use something like the Filehub WD03. Plug your GPS RECEIVER into it and transfer from an Android tablet or phone using Wifi. The Hub can also charge your phone or GPSr, back up photos, be an access point or bridge.

One huge problem. You can not send to GPS

With the browser on a smartphone.

But you can press either the GPX or LOC button and save it to the gps from there. I am not certain how the OTG cable works with Androids since I use a small wifi hub or router (Kingston MobileLite) with both iOS and Android devices to transfer information to my gpsr - and transferring files through either platform is simple to do. For whatever reason, I don't use the "Send To" button even if my gpsr is connected to a computer so using the gpx button from a smartphone or tablet is the same process that I always use. In any case, it is not a huge problem.

At least on the iPhone, it's a little easier using gpx files than loc - since support for the latter is more limited. But it's even easier to use a caching app on either platform that allows you to search and export files instead of going through the browser.

Edited by geodarts

do not use a browser- use an app- download 1,100,1000 caches to the smartphone, via the 'smart' part of the phone (meaning internet connectivity).

a) find some cable hickey that will allow the standalone to be come smarter

B) transfer the caches stored on the phone to a sdcard that fits in both the standalone and the smartphone

c) look at the coords for each cache and input them into the standalone manually, carry both devices, find cache, say "whooopie" and log the cache with the smartphone

d) skip all the transfering and just cache with the phone

But you can press either the GPX or LOC button and save it to the gps from there.

I have tried the GPX button while in the mobile Chrome browser and it does not work either. The built-in "Internet" Android browser responds to the GPX button and downloads the GPX file to the phone. It can then be copied from the phone to the GPS. The better phone apps have some pretty robust search capabilities built in. I use the app to search and then export from the app to the GPS. This lets me save a single GPX file with any number of caches inside, rather than one at a time like you would get with the "Send to GPS" or "GPX" buttons anyway.

John - Once you download the file using the adroid browser/gpx button, are you using the OTG cable to move to the GPSr?

Yes. The mobile browser does not ask where to store the GPX download, it always puts downloads in the Download folder. Then I use the File Manager to move it to the GPS while the OTG cable is connected.

You can get a lot more functionality by using one of the more advanced geocaching apps on the phone, though. I use CacheSense, but I know of at least one app that does the same things. In the app, pan and zoom the map to an area of interest. Have it download everything within the map view area. Save it out to a single GPX file and copy it to the GPS. Or initiate a search around you for specific cache types, keyword search, etc. A lot like setting up a Pocket Query, except you're doing it in real time on your phone. And there's only a single file to copy over when you're done.

The browser & GPX button works OK for a couple caches at a time, but the app works much better when you want a bunch.

good morning John. I have the OTG cable. I have saved the gpx file and found it in the file manager. I do not see how I can share it to the Garmin. In file manager the path at the top is showing me My files>Device Storage>gpx. There are several gpx files below that, but the first one is the one I downloaded this morning. In the very top line I have Search and More. When I touch More the following options appear

Edit

Verizon Cloud

Create Folder

Add Shortcut

View As

Sort by

Show hidden files

Can you offer a little more help please?

good morning John. I have the OTG cable. I have saved the gpx file and found it in the file manager. I do not see how I can share it to the Garmin. In file manager the path at the top is showing me My files>Device Storage>gpx. There are several gpx files below that, but the first one is the one I downloaded this morning. In the very top line I have Search and More. When I touch More the following options appear

Edit

Verizon Cloud

Create Folder

Add Shortcut

View As

Sort by

Show hidden files

Can you offer a little more help please?

First, when connected via OTG cable, your Garmin should go into mass storage mode, the same as if it was connected to your computer.

You have to wait for the GPS boot up, and then show the computer symbol on the GPS screen.

Is your Montana showing that it's in mass storage mode after connecting the OTG cable?

If your GPS is not indicating that it is in mass storage mode, we cannot progress beyond that until that gets resolved.

We have different phones, different OS on the phones probably, different carriers, and different GPS models. We're going to see some variations in the process due to the differences between our phones, version of Android, etc. I think the carriers sometimes add their own restrictions and apps, too. But this is what works for me with both a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S6. This worked for me with Android V5 as well as V6.

What happens for me is once the GPS boots up into mass storage mode, the phone sees that and automatically opens the "My Files" file manager app. With older versions of Android, I might have had to start up the file manager manually. I see a couple choices at the top; Device Storage, and USB-A . USB-A is my Garmin. I use the file manager to open Device Storage and find my saved GPX file. Long-press and select Move. Then navigate the file manager to USB-A/Garmin/GPX and save it there. I usually have a notice showing in my notifications area on the phone that a USB device is connected. I tap that and it unmounts the Garmin. Unplug, boot up the Garmin, and my caches are there.

• Some Garmin models are equipped with bluetooth, but I wouldn't know if file transfer is possible.

I've been able to pair my Sony Xperia Z3 with my Oregon 600, but that's all I've been able to do.

Transfer so far seems impossible.

I have used an OTG cable on several occasions to put GPX file on microSD card.

Didn't work though, as I normally use GGZ file. Oregon 600 didn't pick up the new GPX file on boot.

I've been able to pair my Sony Xperia Z3 with my Oregon 600, but that's all I've been able to do.

Didn't work though, as I normally use GGZ file. Oregon 600 didn't pick up the new GPX file on boot.

Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just use the phone.

You keep interchanging GPX and GGZ like they are the same. They are radically different files. If you export an GPX file it goes in the GPX folder and a GGZ file goes in the GGZ folder. I doubt the Garmin will read a GGZ in the GPX folder.

I had an area picked out and created a list with 61 caches. It created one gpx file that I was able to import into the gpx folder of my garmin. Worked great! I just need more practice to have it feel "easy". Wireless would of course be first choice, but the OTG cable is making this possible.

Not read all posts so ignore if been suggested.

A bluetooth enabled GPS is all you need just pair it and your phone and send the GPX files downloaded to your phone to your GPS and hey presto.

Phone to phone Bluetooth works this way, yes. Is not that black and white with Garmin devices, check you specs.

You keep interchanging GPX and GGZ like they are the same. They are radically different files. If you export an GPX file it goes in the GPX folder and a GGZ file goes in the GGZ folder. I doubt the Garmin will read a GGZ in the GPX folder.

I'm aware of that.

GGZ file in the GGZ folder, GPX file in the GPX folder.

Oregon 600 does not see/load the new GPX file.