BaseCamp & Google Earth Pro

MapSource has a feature to open the current map extent in Google Earth. I assume BaseCamp will as well.

Will BC open Google Earth Pro? MapSource will not, just did a test. MS wants plain GE only.

Thanks

Have you tried renaming the application?

What I've learned so far (subject to change):

• In both GE & GEP the exe file is named googleearth.exe
  • The program folders are named GE & GEP, I could NOT change the folder name
  • MapSource will work with either GE or GEP providing either is open
  • Before this exercise MapSource would launch GE, that now doesn't work
  • I use Global Mapper for my map projects, It launches GE, not GEP. But it works with either if open already
  • I've not played with BaseCamp . . . yet

All of this is related to my transition from XP to Win 10, so far Win 10 is a royal PITA. All the above relates to XP, I have yet to experiment on Win 10.

Unrelated but of interest on this forum, GPSBable.exe is included with both GE & GEP. Kudos to the Chief Babel Head.

What I've learned so far (subject to change):

• In both GE & GEP the exe file is named googleearth.exe
  • The program folders are named GE & GEP, I could NOT change the folder name
  • MapSource will work with either GE or GEP providing either is open
  • Before this exercise MapSource would launch GE, that now doesn't work
  • I use Global Mapper for my map projects, It launches GE, not GEP. But it works with either if open already
  • I've not played with BaseCamp . . . yet

All of this is related to my transition from XP to Win 10, so far Win 10 is a royal PITA. All the above relates to XP, I have yet to experiment on Win 10.

Unrelated but of interest on this forum, GPSBable.exe is included with both GE & GEP. Kudos to the Chief Babel Head.

Ohhhh, windows, and even worse, 10.

Sorry, I thought you were using macos. I've gotten used to renaming a program while I'm testing the "new" version of whatever it is like Google earth or chrome, and then just going back to the old program if the new version sucks .

SUSSAMB's post worked for me:

SUSSAMB02-11-2016, 08:08 AMMine does, if your doesn't try this:

From the Command Prompt type the following as applicable and press ENTER:

(Make sure you are in the C:\ root directory)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth Pro in XP)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth in XP)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth non-Pro on Win 7, 8.x and 10)

Note for those not used to using the command line in Windows, the double quotes in all of the examples are critical. They MUST be there and in the indicated places or you'll get an error that the directory name is invalid. It won't harm anything; it simply won't work.

GPSBabel has been part of every Google Earth for Mac, Windows, and Linux for Free, Plus, Pro, and EC since 2006 or so. I can't recall if it shipped as part of Keyhole EarthViewer before the purchase by Google, but we were certainly working together even before what became Earth became a Google product. I didn't join Google until 2007, but have worked on Earth since. GPSBabel is how Earth reads a bucket of formats (NMEA, Mapsend, Mapsource) and all the GPSes it supports (a subset of what GPSBabel supports) and it's a bonus that you can drag and drop an (unzipped) Pocket Query into Earth and get logs, maps, custom icons, hover states and more right in Earth; I was the one that knew the right people at Groundspeak to get permission for icons, to render the JQuery into a balloon, and was the one that slung the bits to special case Pocket Queries into KML and thus, Earth. You're welcome. :-)

Since someone is sure to ask, I don't really do BaseCamp and I've never really considered myself a Windows Programmer, I remember being uncomfortable when Garmin engineering asked me if it was OK to call Earth's GPSBabel to convert to KML and launch Earth (and told them that) for the very types of reasons discussed here. When Pro was $400, there wasn't a lot of crosstalk, but now that it's free, there is. I can't speak to future plans, but you can guess you're not the only one wondering if there will be two builds of the same program forever at the same price point because, well, that's just odd. It happened before when Plus was collapsed into Free...Plus is now a distant memory for most of us.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth Pro in XP)

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth in XP)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth non-Pro on Win 7, 8.x and 10)

Note for those not used to using the command line in Windows, the double quotes in all of the examples are critical. They MUST be there and in the indicated places or you'll get an error that the directory name is invalid. It won't harm anything; it simply won't work.

Thank you, worked perfectly for me w W10 and Google Earth Pro.

Thank you, worked perfectly for me w W10 and Google Earth Pro.

Google Earth must have updated something recently, as my link between BaseCamp and GE broke again. Fortunately, I was able to call this up in a search (again!). Although in my case, GE Pro did not reside in a client directory. But it was easy to find it and adjust the command line above. This is a feature I use in BaseCamp all the time! This time I saved a text file for when it happens again.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, JohnCNA said:

Google Earth must have updated something recently, as my link between BaseCamp and GE broke again. Fortunately, I was able to call this up in a search (again!). Although in my case, GE Pro did not reside in a client directory. But it was easy to find it and adjust the command line above. This is a feature I use in BaseCamp all the time! This time I saved a text file for when it happens again.

Mine just recently broke, too. But none of the apparently usual fixes are working for me. The error message I get in MapSource is "Windows cannot find 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Gocgle Eaith/cIient\gpsbabel.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

gpsbabel.exe is in the directory.  Further suggestions?

1 hour ago, Bill & Deb said:

"Windows cannot find 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Gocgle Eaith/cIient\gpsbabel.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

This is not a valid map designation. A map reference in Windows uses backslashes ( \ ) and no slashes ( / ). You use both.

Further, I do not think the map the map 'Gocgle Eaith' exists on your computer. Try 'Google Earth' instead.

It should be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\cIient\gpsbabel.exe.

Update:

Got a new Win 10 laptop and loaded MapSource and BaseCamp for my maps. Then time for GoogleEarth. Turns out only GEPro is now available for download but the exe file is labeled GoogleEarth.exe, whereas the desktop shortcut says GEPro. The net result MS is happy since it wants to see GE.exe but the loaded program is actually GEPro. I'm happy because I want to see an occasional satellite image launched from MS to compare with the map. :)

FWIW

Just an update on the OP's old Google Earth Pro not linking in Mapsource, today...the RegServer fix above will not solve today's problem.

"This worked fine until the latest release 7.3.3. Now it tells me that Google Earth Pro is not installed and I need to go to the Google website for download.

I reinstalled version 7.3.2 and the connection works fine again."

Yes, you'll need to stick with v7.3.2 or reinstall if you want Mapsource to link to View in Google Earth.