No Trading Items In Parks Canada Geocaches

curlingfan11

The policy says "Remove trade items", which includes trackables.

Thanks for the reply, CacheShadow.

I think that needs to be clearly stated on the Parks Canada geocaching policy and literature, though.

Trackables aren't "trade items" in the same context as swag. That's why it would be confusing to geocachers who understand the nature of trackables.

Perhaps the policy is clear to Parks Canada.

B.

Wow. Not very family-friendly...

Kids are sometimes tough to take along, but like to find "stuff" in caches. :)

Has there been many problems with food-stuffs in caches?

Sometimes we find management has a impression of the hobby that's not accurate (like digging...).

"Make sure that your cache container is watertight, is made of material that will withstand natural elements, is as small as possible, is neutral-coloured and has never been used for food."

- Only a couple hours away, but I'd havta pay to find micros? :laughing:

I'm thankful that our National Parks allow physical caches at all. Yes, the policy is quite restrictive, but not unreasonable.

By not allowing any trade or trackable items at all, the ambiguity is gone about what might be appropriate SWAG. No lighters, pocket knives, food or other smelly items, so they don't have to police them and problems are reduced. Cachers have varying ideas of what's appropriate, so instead of relying on people to use their judgment they've just eliminated it. Sure, there's no trading for kids, but the other option would be no geocaching at all, so I think we're doing ok.

Many of the Parks have gotten on board and hidden caches themselves, which is great. Most of the physical caches I've found in a Park have been size small, often a small L&L. They've generally all been easy to find and well-maintained. No complaints!

Many of the Parks have gotten on board and hidden caches themselves, which is great. Most of the physical caches I've found in a Park have been size small, often a small L&L. They've generally all been easy to find and well-maintained. No complaints!

The Gulf Islands National Park Reserve out here on the west coast has hidden a series of their own across several islands. This one is definitely the best of the bunch, located at the highest point in the Gulf Islands, with this one a close second. They're all well-maintained small L&Ls in great locations, and you can get a geocoin for finding a subset of the caches. No other caches are allowed in the park reserve.

In each cache listing, they have this line, which removes any ambiguity:

As per the Parks Canada geocaching policy: Trade items are not permitted in caches, this includes Travel Bugs.

In each cache listing, they have this line, which removes any ambiguity:

As per the Parks Canada geocaching policy: Trade items are not permitted in caches, this includes Travel Bugs.

It would be nice if the Parks Canada Geocaching Guidelines said that so explicitly.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/docs/pc/guide/geocache/index.aspx

Trade items are not permitted in caches. Instead, a message or story about the unique location where the cache has been placed is included in the cache for others to find. You can research message ideas at www.pc.gc.ca or by contacting Parks Canada staff at the selected national historic site, national park or national marine conservation area.

Here's Parks Canada's "Heritage Hide’n’Seek GeoTour" for Ontario. Mostly micros, some "small", none of the listings I read say anything about "no trading". (Correction: I found one "small" that said "(no trade items, please)" which was just recently published on 01 June 2016.)

https://www.geocaching.com/play/geotours/hhs

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol