"All Intersections, Great & Small"

Michaelcycle

I'm jealous already, as I have been wanting to go to Devil's Tower.

I don't have a lot I can contribute to as far as intersection stations go, but I did log this one as I really like old buildings and such with the finial being the station.

01/01/1941 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1941 (KBJ) STATION IS THE FINIAL ON THE CLAIBORNE PARISH COURTHOUSE DOME. THE BUILDING WAS ERECTED IN 1858, IS ABOUT 80 FEET HIGH, AND IS LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF THE TOWN.

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=CQ2976

636a8f9d-cc34-4678-a702-58660b20eee9.jpg

e55a77ce-75dc-42b6-bed7-c1b962f33bc9.jpg

1351c1cf-59a8-4b41-be58-e215327ba09c.jpg

Being a history buff, I thought the dates were almost prophetic. The courthouse was built the year before the War of Northern Aggression started :lol: and the station was observed close to basically a year (Jan 1 -Dec 7) before we entered WW II.

Edited by LSUFan

6f0c5b1d-cd99-4e92-aa2f-2dcfe14b0e78.jpg

We had a geocache called Triangulation, in Edgewater, NJ on the Hudson River. You could see these intersection stations from that point.

KU3940 Jeffreys Hook Lighthouse

KU4017 New York Presby Hosp Flag

KU3973 Highbridge 1898

KU4009 Manhattan Grants Tomb Dome

KU4022 Manhattan Riverside Bap Ch Twr

KU3959 Manhattan Soldiers Sailors Mon

KU3994 Chrysler Building

KU3602 Empire State Building

Here are some of my favorites. Sorry no PID are given, since when I copied these off my drive, I forgot to write down their stations. D'oh. The only real interesting one is the last one, the Tybee Lighthouse (CK3749) - I actually had to submit a recovery, because the US Power Squad apparently 'couldn't find it'. (And, interestingly, looking at the datasheet - they're *STILL* recovering intersection stations. I thought they were told to stop recovering *in general*?)

if anyone WANTS any info on any of these, let me know, I'll look them back up. :)

Anyways -

3855oJF.jpg

sEblIwD.jpg

0StmIG5.jpg

ZzQhKhk.jpg

QHc4P1l.jpg

Mike, not to hijack this thread, but what are you using to take those great clear pics with?

Uhm.. I had to double-check. Canon EOS 10D or 7D, depending on the age. :) I dunno why they posted SO HUGE here.. I thought the forum software limited their size. Sorry! :D Honestly, I wasn't even trying. You'll see grain and blurryness in most of them - I didn't set the shot up, put on the good lense - I just snapped and went.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

Well, we finally got around to looking through our finds and we are going to bore you with just 6 of our better ones that we were very happy to log.

First is the St. George Mormon Temple Spire. The old original Temple shines bright white in the desert sun.

Pid HO0629

Found on Saturday, 29 October 2005, now with one more picture included of a long shot.

499c9b51-3997-4027-8e4e-bbfde7bc8726.jpg

e8a997fc-b9f9-43f8-a24a-8d1461e53fe5.jpg

Next is Mollies Nipple Pid HO0540My link

4262a37c-e1fd-4560-8a16-5f923c8a5cba.jpg

This picture was taken along Highway 89 between Kanab, Utah and Page, AZ. You can see Mollie's Nipple from many different places, including coming down Highway 89A from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon towards Fredonia, AZ.

PID GQ0323 Kanab South Cairn 1871

2c752795-aa26-4351-93b5-979dd34c09fc.jpg

This was gotten to by parking a couple of fences over and of course Shirley had to crawl under them. It was later in the day so it was getting dark by the time we got back to our truck. Lots of fun though!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are another three that are a little special to us. The first one is Kanabownits Lookout Tower. The drive into this one is a real B*tch!

PID GQ0257

93271d33-840d-4683-b6b1-60fbd08646db.jpg

You better love 4 wheeling to get to this one. We are still the only ones to have logged this one.....

PID GP0593 The Watchtower.

The Desert View Indian Watch Tower as seen while you are approaching from the parking lot at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

b9142613-8948-4b47-99b7-c993455197e0.jpg

Then when you get in front of the shop and look up, this is what you can see, notice the person looking at us as we take their picture....

b0d8962b-4bfd-4222-8309-4bb4f1fbf693.jpg

And the last one is up at Beaver, Utah. It is the Court House Clocktower.

PID JO0512

b4e6ea39-cf80-409a-acab-8cab7c36247c.jpg

I love this old Court House.

So, the 2oldfarts have posted. I hope they meet your expectations....:anicute:

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bit of personal, non-surveying, history with the still operational Airway Beacons in western Montana. I had kind of forgotten that some of them might have PID's until driving I 90 towards Bonner last Wednesday. Yesterday coming home from the Blackfoot River via MT 141 I was able to observe this one that I frequently used as a freight dog from 1988 to 1998.

AIRWAY BCN 47 SSW OF AVON

b89a8cc5-a4aa-4f10-8bfa-aad10de4e405.jpg

This is the next beacon east on MacDonald Pass - a NONPID drive station that does have brass (MCDONALD) directly beneath it.

fd8e2d96-9da8-434f-8bfd-b213e42e5368.jpg

Link to a recent Great Falls Tribune article & photo spread.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/life/2015/10/07/aircraft-beacons-montana-history/73444898/

kayakbird

Edited by kayakbird

How did they use it when it was sideways like that?

Blue Angel Wannabe. (It is vertical in the link!) MEL

It honestly gives me a bit of vertigo to see such an obviously vertical thing horizontal! Those towers are pretty rare around here. The only ones that have survived have been repurposed. One, at a sports complex on the site of an old airport, retains its lights, but was moved when soccer fields were put in. I am sure the thousands that pass by it on a tournament weekend barely look up.

How did they use it when it was sideways like that?

Blue Angel Wannabe. (It is vertical in the link!) MEL

It honestly gives me a bit of vertigo to see such an obviously vertical thing horizontal! Those towers are pretty rare around here. The only ones that have survived have been repurposed. One, at a sports complex on the site of an old airport, retains its lights, but was moved when soccer fields were put in. I am sure the thousands that pass by it on a tournament weekend barely look up.

Upright and resized - you are welcome. ;)

21e1c0bf-5e58-42fe-8198-716192f8076a.jpg?rnd=0.4129542

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6f0c5b1d-cd99-4e92-aa2f-2dcfe14b0e78.jpg

We had a geocache called Triangulation, in Edgewater, NJ on the Hudson River. You could see these intersection stations from that point.

KU3940 Jeffreys Hook Lighthouse

KU4017 New York Presby Hosp Flag

KU3973 Highbridge 1898

KU4009 Manhattan Grants Tomb Dome

KU4022 Manhattan Riverside Bap Ch Twr

KU3959 Manhattan Soldiers Sailors Mon

KU3994 Chrysler Building

KU3602 Empire State Building

A little bit off-topic. I'm referring to "KU3940 Jeffreys Hook Lighthouse" in Harry Dolphin's post & photo above.

Just wanted to say, there's an old kids' book called "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge" (1942!) that was a fave of my daughter when she was a very young reader. It's about this small, very old, tired, low-tech lighthouse on the Hudson River that DID the job when the bigger, brighter, hi-tech newer facilities FAILED! SAVED the day!

We would travel to NYC fairly often, and her booster seat was always in the center of the car, as it should be.

One day, I installed her all the way over to the right, and as we crossed the lower level of the George Washington Bridge heading in to Manhattan, I told her to look over the side of the bridge and down.

Thrilled? Heard about it for WEEKS!!!!

She's 26 now, and I still see her looking over the side and down.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun