Downloading caches to Garmin GPS on a Mac

Tribe of Albion

I don't have an eTrex, but I always use Pocket Queries to download cache data to my eXplorist. After running the PQ, I download the ZIP file to my Mac, extract the GPX files from the ZIP file, plug the USB cable into my device and into my Mac, and copy the GPX files to my device.

Yep, what niraD said above.

I will add though, when you copy the gpx files to your Garmin, then you'll want to put those gpx files in the Garmin\GPX folder. Since you are a Premium Member, then you may want to look into using Pocket Queries. You can create PQ's for an entire area and limit the results to certain types/ratings/attributes. You can also add specific caches to a Bookmark List and then run a PQ of that list to get all the bookmarked caches in 1 download.

You probably already know about these features, but just thought I'd mention them again since PQ's and Bookmark Lists are benefits that come with your Premium Membership.

[...]

Is there a trick to downloading Cache details using an iMac? [...]

No. It works like on every other computer:

1. Download the Gpx file from the cache page (or download and unzip a PQ)

2. Copy the gpx files to your Garmin ([Garmin unit driveletter]/Garmin/GPX/yourfileshere.gpx)

Hans

Thanks for your responses, all! Very helpful, and much appreciated!

I will have a go with the above methods, and see what works well.

After a fair amount of trawling the forum, I've downloaded the Garmin Communicator thingy via Firefox, which seems to be doing the job, but I'll try other routes also.

Thanks again,

Mace

Thanks for your responses, all! Very helpful, and much appreciated!

I will have a go with the above methods, and see what works well.

After a fair amount of trawling the forum, I've downloaded the Garmin Communicator thingy via Firefox, which seems to be doing the job, but I'll try other routes also.

Thanks again,

Mace

Other than manually entering coordinates into your GPS there are basically three methods for getting cache data from the site to your GPS.

The first, as you mention it to use the Garmin Communicator plugin. It does not work in all browsers as the technology it uses has been deemed to have a potential security vulnerability (that doesn't mean that the plugin is insecure). It also only allows you to send data to your GPS one cache at a time.

The second method, as HHL and niraD describe is to download a GPX file (or LOC for a basic member) which contains cache data for one or more caches to your computer, then after plugging in the GPS to the computer, to copy the file to a folder on the GPS. This will not work for older GPS devices, and although the procedure for doing it is well documented, those with a Magellan, Delorme, or other GPS brand will need to find instructions on how to copy files to the GPS.

The third option is to use a waypoint manager on your computer. The most common for Windows users is GSAK. GSAK *can* be run on a mac but requires jumping through some additional technical hoops. EasyGPS, and ExpertGPS (the latter being the paid version of the first) are a bit easier to use than GSAK but are also only for Windows. Garmin Basecamp has versions for both Windows and a Mac and can also be used for managing maps that can be sent to your GPS. There are other waypoint managers as we;; but all of them have a driver for sending *and* receiving waypoints to/from a GPS. They an can be used to manage a very large collection of waypoint and save all or a portion of them as a GPX file then copied to a GPS as mentioned in the second method.

Other than manually entering coordinates into your GPS there are basically three methods for getting cache data from the site to your GPS.

The first, as you mention it to use the Garmin Communicator plugin. It does not work in all browsers as the technology it uses has been deemed to have a potential security vulnerability (that doesn't mean that the plugin is insecure). It also only allows you to send data to your GPS one cache at a time.

The second method, as HHL and niraD describe is to download a GPX file (or LOC for a basic member) which contains cache data for one or more caches to your computer, then after plugging in the GPS to the computer, to copy the file to a folder on the GPS. This will not work for older GPS devices, and although the procedure for doing it is well documented, those with a Magellan, Delorme, or other GPS brand will need to find instructions on how to copy files to the GPS.

The third option is to use a waypoint manager on your computer. The most common for Windows users is GSAK. GSAK *can* be run on a mac but requires jumping through some additional technical hoops. EasyGPS, and ExpertGPS (the latter being the paid version of the first) are a bit easier to use than GSAK but are also only for Windows. Garmin Basecamp has versions for both Windows and a Mac and can also be used for managing maps that can be sent to your GPS. There are other waypoint managers as we;; but all of them have a driver for sending *and* receiving waypoints to/from a GPS. They an can be used to manage a very large collection of waypoint and save all or a portion of them as a GPX file then copied to a GPS as mentioned in the second method.

Superb, NYPaddleCacher! That makes a lot of sense. Many thanks for taking the time to respond. :D

I will have a play about with Garmin Basecamp, methinks.

Best wishes,

Mace

Edited by Tribe of Albion