a BIG technical problem with Garmin etrex 30

Samump

Hello!

I've searched through every forum and nobody seemes to have a similar problem.

I just bought a new Garmin etrex 30. Then I connected it with a computer with Windows 7 and it didn't recognize my device. It only showed a shortcut of my device on "my computer" window. When I opened it I still could explore the folders. The GARMIN folder was inside this shortcut folder. So I moved some gpx files in the folder. Now when I open my GPS device, it's all blank. There aren't any maps or even languages other than English. Everything still seems normal when I look through the folders.

So I think my new device messed up from the Windows and reads only that shortcut folder which is empty. I've tried resetting the factory settings, it didn't help. What do I do?

I am abroad and I really needed a quick solution to this problem. Thanks!

Edited by Samump

Hello!

I've searched through every forum and nobody seemes to have a similar problem.

I just bought a new Garmin etrex 30. Then I connected it with a computer with Windows 7 and it didn't recognize my device. It only showed a shortcut of my device on "my computer" window. When I opened it I still could explore the folders. The GARMIN folder was inside this shortcut folder. So I moved some gpx files in the folder. Now when I open my GPS device, it's all blank. There aren't any maps or even languages other than English. Everything still seems normal when I look through the folders.

So I think my new device messed up from the Windows and reads only that shortcut folder which is empty. I've tried resetting the factory settings, it didn't help. What do I do?

I am abroad and I really needed a quick solution to this problem. Thanks!

Be sure the GPS is in Mass Storage mode. (Main Menu > Setup > System > USB Mode = Mass Storage)

Thank you, but unfortunately those posts didn't solve the problem. I know where to put the gpx-files, and I tried changing between Mass Storage and Garmin. It did not make a difference. The device still reads some imaginary hard drive which is empty of everything but the most necessary things.

Any other ideas? I can't be the only one with this situation ever.

Thanks.

Hhmmm. Not sure what's going on. Maybe it would help if you could post screenshots of your Garmin's folder structure?

There are (were) multiple files and folders in the "Garmin" folder of the device. You mentioned in post #1 that "Everything still seems normal when I look through the folders.". Are you saying that when you connect the GPSr to your computer, then you still see the multiple files/folders in the "Garmin" folder?

Is the issue that you can't see caches that you've loaded onto your device, or is the issue a broader one and your device is not functioning at all? You mentioned in post #1 that "Now when I open my GPS device, it's all blank. There aren't any maps or even languages other than English." and "I think my new device messed up from the Windows and reads only that shortcut folder which is empty.". These 2 lines make me think that the issue is bigger than just not seeing specific caches and that your entire device is blank.

But then in your last post you said "The device still reads some imaginary hard drive which is empty of everything but the most necessary things.". This line makes me think that there are still some things in the Garmin folder, the "most necessary things" you mentioned.

It's a bit confusing, so that's why I think it might help to see what is in your device's folder structure when you connect it to your computer.

I am really confused about what you are seeing. You say are traveling. Is the computer yours or is it in an internet cafe or something similar? In the Computer window you should see the GPS with a drive letter and description. In Win7 mine shows as "Garmin eTrex 20 (J)" where J is the drive letter. If yours isn't showing up like this there is a problem, perhaps with how the computer is setup. Maybe it is a permission issue or maybe it blocks external devices.

When you unplug the GPS from the computer, does the shortcut go away? If so, when you plug the GPS back in does it reappear after a few seconds? If it doesn't go away, it may be a ghost shortcut from a previous attempt to hook up a GPS to the system.

This is all guess work, since we can't see what you are experiencing. Try to give us more details.

Thank you for trying to help me. It was a little hard to describe the problem correctly but it doesn't matter any more. The device I bought was apparently broken already when I bought it. I got a new device and it works just fine. But it's good to know that there can be issues like this in new devices.