Stand-alone versus iPhone app

I am a relatively new geocacher and am currently using my iPhone5 for caching. It has been good so far but I am finding limitations to ground zero accuracy and very quick battery drain. Perhaps this is a functionality I haven't discovered yet, but I can't seem to find a way to enter GPS coordinates into the map app or the geocaching app.

I would like an idea of what a stand alone unit has over using my iPhone app. I am currently look at the Garmin etrex 10.

Thank you,

Restcure 794

I am a relatively new geocacher and am currently using my iPhone5 for caching. It has been good so far but I am finding limitations to ground zero accuracy and very quick battery drain. Perhaps this is a functionality I haven't discovered yet, but I can't seem to find a way to enter GPS coordinates into the map app or the geocaching app.

I would like an idea of what a stand alone unit has over using my iPhone app. I am currently look at the Garmin etrex 10.

Thank you,

Restcure 794

Cool. I've been trying out an iPhone 5, as a wifi-only Geocaching device. Remember that once you get to within 30 feet or so of GZ, check the cache description again, read the hint (unless you want to search first), and look at the sat map to get a feel for where the cache is. Then put the phone away and start searching. Don't try to get to "0" feet, since that rarely works out well. While approaching, say at 80 feet out, I make a mental note like "80 feet will be about at that tree", or whatever.

You can save new coords as a waypoint within the official App, while navigating to a cache. And only then.

You can enter coords into Google Maps by doing a search like N 33 33.333, W 084 44.444, which puts a pin on the map.

There's a free App called "Commander Compass" where you can type coords or tap the map to set a target.

Stand-alone GPSrs are great for Geocaching! The Etrex 10 may be on the low end, as far as memory and capability, but it's inexpensive.

Edited by kunarion

I would advise against the eTrex 10. It is very limited compared to other GPSr's. If you can start with an eTrex 20 or 20x, then you might be happier. kunarion's advice provides good coverage of your other questions. Welcome to the hobby.

I don't use an iPhone, so I can't comment about your specific phone's performance. However, I can provide some links to some of the GPSr vs Smartphone threads. Most of these threads specifically refer to the iPhone:

Iphone6 V GPS

Benefit of GPS device vs iPhone?

GPS vs iPhone

Do I need GPS?

GPS vs Phone App

GPS Or Smartphone

GPS device - can I use my iPhone6?

Smartphone not good with too many clouds

Can a Smartphone Replace a Dedicated GPS?

Edited by noncentric