Oregon counties

oregone

In another forum category, i saw little geocaching patches for the fifty states.

Wouldn't it be cool to have something like this for Oregon counties? (Or WA CA ID counties, of course)

I was just looking at my cache page and saw that i've found caches in 18 of the 36 oregon counties. I'm half way there, but i'm sure logscaler and joedohn et al have me beat on that one.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

So, Oregone, how long did it take you to search through all 300+ logs to come up with the county statistics? Is there an easy way to do this?

actually, i just looked at the cache map of oregon and saw which counties i had little checkmarks in. I guess i couldn't do that in WA or ID because i don't know the counties by shope over there!

Oh, and I added Union county today!

Oregone :

Ya got me wondering so I had to check. As I had not even thought about this very much, it took me a little digging for it but here goes : Oregon - 22 of 36

Washington - 8 of ??

Idaho - 7 of ??

And Red says it sounds like a little bit of a challange to try for all the counties before you get them. Although, as I look at the map, it look like there just might still be a couple counties without caches. I will check that aspect first and maybe fix it. At one time, I was going to plant a cache in all 36 counties but I got to thinking about the troubles of looking after them all.

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Although, as I look at the map, it look like there just might still be a couple counties without caches. I will check that aspect first and maybe fix it.

i THINK that all oregon counties have a cache, but i could be wrong. There's one on the john day river (that i wish i had the expertise to find) that is kinda on the border of, i think, wheeler county. i'd love to see a cache near spray, as i considered that my home address last summer. and sometimes the cache-map counts archived caches, so i just don't know.

logscaler, if there's anyone that could hide (or find) a cache in every oregon county, i think it would be you. i bagged my 22nd county last weekend on my way back to boise, but i'm wet-side so it's a little less challenging for me as our counties over here are only the size of new jersey instead of the size of connecticut.

So as of today, the only county in oregon sans a cache is Morrow county.

Are there no cachers in Boardman, Heppner, Lexington, or Ione?

I figure that i can personally double the amount of caches in this county when i go through next month. icon_smile.gif

So as of today, the only county in oregon sans a cache is Morrow county.

Are there no cachers in Boardman, Heppner, Lexington, or Ione?

I figure that i can personally double the amount of caches in this county when i go through next month. icon_smile.gif

Does Baker have a cache? I was sorta hoping to stop there for lunch. I hear the Land Crab is excellent.

Has anyone seen my attorney? That scoundrel!

.. But seriously, it doesn't appear that Baker has a cache. Maybe I'll hafta take an extended trip and rectify the situation icon_smile.gif

Does Baker have a cache? I was sorta hoping to stop there for lunch. I hear the Land Crab is excellent.

Has anyone seen my attorney? That scoundrel!

.. But seriously, it doesn't appear that Baker has a cache. Maybe I'll hafta take an extended trip and rectify the situation icon_smile.gif

to plant a cache in a far far away county from where you live and just HOPE it will stay put and not wander off? I recently was out on a spit near Tillamook that would have been a great cache location, but since I live in Hillsboro it would be difficult to keep tabs on it.

Thoughts?

Its probably not the best idea, if you don't live in the area or don't make regular trips to the area.

I had a cache on the santiam pass (it got looted, not terribly surprised though), I go over the pass twice a month, so it was easy to check on.

I have one out at Glass Butte, which is 70 miles away from where I live, however I'll be going into the area at least once a month this summer, and the chances of it getting looted are slim.

If a cache gets a lot of traffic from geocachers, its probably fine. Around here, cachers tend to look after caches, adding logbooks, plastic bags, pencils, etc when they are needed.

If its in an area that seems remote, and is well-hidden, I'd personally say its fine - chances are, a cacher who goes out of their way to get it won't be doing it on their first outing, and won't get terribly angry if its missing.

Maybe a minimum of two maintenance visits per year would be a good rule of thumb. I dunno. Probably all boils down to personal preference, and can probably be debated indefinitely.

quote:
Originally posted by brawdy:

I recently was out on a spit near Tillamook that would have been a great cache location, but since I live in Hillsboro it would be difficult to keep tabs on it.

Thoughts?

Been There- Done that

Bayocean Cache

One of my favorite areas to walk on the Coast.

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

[This message was edited by Navdog on June 23, 2002 at 10:37 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by brawdy:

Thoughts?

I've put caches near wilbur, grants pass, wimer, and tyee. The way i see it, it's okay to place a cache out of your area as long as A)there aren't any caches near it, B)you're okay with driving out there for maintenance on an 'as-needed' basis, and C)you've researched the place to make sure that your cache isn't near the final coords of a multi-cache.

Although my designated territory for placing caches is roughly squared off by the Dundee-Keizer-Silverton-Canby rectangle, i don't feel bad about placing a cache outside of this boundary if i'm comfortable with unexpectedly driving out to fricking Wimer because someone can't find the cache i placed there.