Can't download caches since upgrading to Windows 10

gameoftheirlives

Are you saying that your computer doesn't recognize the eTrex as an external drive? My laptop recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I haven't had any issues with connecting my eTrex 20.

Yes. When I go to a cache site and click on download the notice comes up that the computer doesn't recognize a device. When I try to download the plugin, whatever browser I'm using says it does not recognize the Garmin plugin. I'm sorry but I'm not very tech savvy so my computer language isn't accurate. I hope you get the idea.

Are you saying that your computer doesn't recognize the eTrex as an external drive? My laptop recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I haven't had any issues with connecting my eTrex 20.

Problem solved. I'm not sure what I did, but I am now able to download caches onto my Garmin gps. Thank you for your reply.

Glad your problem is solved, however if you find you have further problems with Garmin not being recognized, try downloading Safari. I tried Edge, Firefox & Opera and all either didn't recognize my etrex or only worked for about a week.

Safari has worked fine for about a month so far.

Problem solved. I'm not sure what I did, but I am now able to download caches onto my Garmin gps. Thank you for your reply.

Glad it's working for you.

If you run into more problems and decide that you want to bulk load caches, then you may want to look into using Pocket Queries. You can create PQ's for an entire area and limit the results to certain types/ratings/attributes. You can also add specific caches to a Bookmark List and then run a PQ of that list to get all the bookmarked caches in 1 download.

You probably already know about these features, but just thought I'd mention them again since PQ's and Bookmark Lists are benefits that come with your Premium Membership.

My computer recently upgraded itself (not at my request)to Windows 10. Now, when I go to download caches, my Garmin Etrex 20 isn't recognized. I get a message saying that Chrome, Firefox and Explorer Ex does not support Garmin devices. Could someone help me so that I can get back caching again? Thank you.

Note also that the Windows 10 upgrade can be reverted within 30 days

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

My computer recently upgraded itself (not at my request)to Windows 10. Now, when I go to download caches, my Garmin Etrex 20 isn't recognized. I get a message saying that Chrome, Firefox and Explorer Ex does not support Garmin devices. Could someone help me so that I can get back caching again? Thank you.

Note also that the Windows 10 upgrade can be reverted within 30 days

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

I had to download safari so my etrex is recognised - about 5 weeks so far and no problems. (Firefox, Edge, Opera - all didn't recognise it.)

After contacting Magellan and Geocaching, with no success I found an easy solution to Geocaching issues with Windows 10 that works. YEA!

What I had to do, with Windows 10 is the following:

- Click on the Magnifying Glass (search icon) found on the bottom task bar of some computers

- Type in "Explorer" (this should bring up your former Internet Explorer browser. Click to select as the active browser)

- When you clicked, it should bring up your old Internet Explorer browser web page (that you used before upgrading to Windows 10).

- then select Geocache and begin the usual download process.

NOTE, when my spouse tried this, she had to (1) re-load Magellan Communicator (2) restart both her computer and GPS before starting the Geocaching program.

If this works for you, please share with all your GEOCACHING friends as I am doing.

Edited by Haweater1

After contacting Magellan and Geocaching, with no success I found an easy solution to Geocaching issues with Windows 10 that works. YEA! Suspect it may also work for other GPS devices.

- Click on the Magnifying Glass (search icon) found on the bottom task bar of some computers

- Type in "Explorer" (this should bring up your former Internet Explorer browser. Click to select as the active browser)

- When you clicked, it should bring up your old Internet Explorer browser web page (that you used before upgrading to Windows 10).

NOTE, when my spouse tried this, she had to (1) re-load Magellan Communicator (2) restart both her computer and GPS before starting the Geocaching program.

After contacting Magellan (about my Magellan Explorist) and Geocaching, with no success I found an easy solution to Geocaching issues with Windows 10 that works. YEA!