Need a "phone a friend"

Hi everyone I am fairly new to geocaching and have recently noticed that other geocachers, during difficult geocaches, do something called PAF (phone a friend). I believe this allows one to phone another geocacher who has done this particular cache for a hint of some sort.

I have never been to a geocaching event or meet up and I am wondering if an advanced geocacher(s) is someone who would be my PAF(digitally/online friend(s)), mainly to help me out with really hard geocaches.

This is one that I have not found yet, but am planning to go back to soon and hoping to find. . . . .

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCK3HT_sbux-68-say-cheese

I am in the state of North Carolina in the Raleigh area. You can send me a message or respond through the forum. I will friend you and we can either chat through messages or if you feel comfortable sharing your phone number.

Thanks,

Isabel

Hi everyone I am fairly new to geocaching and have recently noticed that other geocachers, during difficult geocaches, do something called PAF ...

- snip -

... I will friend you and we can either chat through messages or if you feel comfortable sharing your phone number.

This isn't facetwit... :laughing:

Your area may be different, but my area, and most places we've been, folks whose numbers we have are acquaintances, or actual friends. :)

I just deleted most on my phone, realizing that I never called 'em anyway.

Guess I feel like I'm impeding another's day.

Last time someone called me, I was hanging on rope, around 42' in the air.

- They left a mean voicemail about not getting back to them on time.

Others gave 'em heck and they apologized, but they aren't in the phone anymore. ;)

I'd say go to an event, talk to a few folks in person, meet someone to pal around with maybe, and let things come naturally.

Best scenario, find a cache that no one else can find.

- The emails will be begging you to call 'em "for a hint". :laughing:

I recently left a lengthy post on a popular cache in New Jersey. While reading through 42 pages of past logs, i noticed a very high number of "I needed to phone a friend..." etc etc.

I personally don't get this. This is NOT what the game is about. If you can't find it on your own, how do you think being told where it is is a "find?"

Some would disagree with me.

MHOO

Hi everyone I am fairly new to geocaching and have recently noticed that other geocachers, during difficult geocaches, do something called PAF (phone a friend). I believe this allows one to phone another geocacher who has done this particular cache for a hint of some sort.

I have never been to a geocaching event or meet up and I am wondering if an advanced geocacher(s) is someone who would be my PAF(digitally/online friend(s)), mainly to help me out with really hard geocaches.

This is one that I have not found yet, but am planning to go back to soon and hoping to find. . . . .

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCK3HT_sbux-68-say-cheese

I am in the state of North Carolina in the Raleigh area. You can send me a message or respond through the forum. I will friend you and we can either chat through messages or if you feel comfortable sharing your phone number.

Thanks,

Isabel

send (email/whatever)the cache owner short and specific questions. most of them are very nice folks and want you to find their caches instead of leave frustrated.

PAF or some method of asking questions / verification has its good points..

Sure, PAF "where is it?" Isn't what I'm referring to.

But a "I'm here, I've looked and crawled all over, can you point me in the right direction, or at least tell me if I'm in the wrong city..." is great to have. If I'm 100 miles from home, it's probably my one shot...

I once was stuck on a cache and knew a previous finder. I called and his response was "think on another plane..." which got me thinking differently and finally crawling through the water.

NOVAGO has / had (I moved years ago and lost track) a PAF forum where contact info was shared amongst members.

As long as it's not abused, why not be able to ask for clues or bounce ideas...