Help me make Redmond worth their money

parkrrrr

Well, Redmond-area geocaching-type folks, you've lived Fuzzy-free for long enough. It looks like I'm going to be going to Redmond on business in September, possibly for 9 long days. Two of those days, the 20th and the 21st, will apparently be wholly devoid of any business-type activity, and I'm hoping there's one or more geocachers in the area who might take me under their wings and show me a few good caches. I don't know whether I'll have a vehicle or not, but I do know that I'll have enough common sense to not go caching in a strange city alone, and particularly not one that has elevation changes greater than the 20-30 feet we see around here. I'll even watch this thread, just so you don't have to go to all the trouble of emailing me.

Thanks for noticing me...

pirate.cgi.gif

Hi WarmFuzzies! You may not remember, but back in May you helped me by suggesting some Indiana caches when I traveled to Muncie and Lafayette on business.

My husband (blankjeff) and I live in Redmond, and there are several very active cachers in or near our fine city. I'm sure we can get together and have a fun day of caching and exploring the area.

Feel free to introduce yourself and/or keep an eye on the "eastside cachers" forum.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Cin

Well we wouldn't be good hosts if we didn't throw a party for you!!!!

We can plan a get together of your choosing. A picnic type gathering in a cache rich area, a special hunt designed just for you or even a mini cache machine event.

Just keep us informed on your schedule and what you'd like and we'll plan something.

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_We'll test your metal. I expect you to do all of http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?A=73929&u=9086029331 caches in one day._

They are all very close together in down town Redmond.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/devil/evil_lol.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_Pepper playing nice!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

You got that right, bud! Those are some seriously mentally tough caches. Coords are great! Keep that in mind. Those caches will sucuumb you until you find them!

Looking forward to meeting you Fuzzy...welcome to our area!

quote:
Originally posted by Sassquatch:

Man Fuzzy, I posted in the san diego thread and got 1 reply and some held back sarcassim. I hope you bask in the love your gettin. I'm green with envy.

Gee Sassquatch, I thought you were just green from tequila at the Champoeg Redux.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

WarmFuzzies-Fuzzy welcome, looking forward to having ya here.

Cachincin and I took a fellow cacher(forman) from Petaluma CA around Redmond/Seattle for a day of caching and it was fun.

Cindy and I are usually always free and would be willing to do the same for you.

Always up for visiting and caching.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

Actually.. I might be up in that area tomorrow... When & where shall we meet up for margaritas!? icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Wait, up in which area? Redmond? San Diego? (although I suppose that would be "down")

I haven't had a good margarita since I left New Mexico. There's just something about the heat and the sand and the wind....margaritas taste better down there.

Cin

I'd love to stop by Boeing Surplus, but I would just be teasing myself... Can't afford to go nuts like I know I would wanna do...

Not exactly sure when I'll be heading up... Probably get in that area around 2:30pm-ish. I'll have my frs radio on gmrs channel 20, code 0, and I'll also have net access, so I'll check the forums...

-fractal

Well, crud. I'm a loser. In the hustle and bustle of the past few weeks, I totally forgot about this thread, and here we are less than a week away. I'll be flying into Sea/Tac tomorrow evening sometime, doing businessy things until Friday evening, and then free until sometime Sunday afternoon. What I know as of right now is that I'll be staying at the Residence Inn at 7575 164th Avenue Northeast in Redmond, and that I won't have a car available. I'll try to get more information posted here when I have it. I'm not sure we need a cache machine or a mini-event or whatever; I'm not worth that kind of effort. But if some local cachers wanted to show up Saturday morning and show me a couple of cool caches, I could probably find some gas money.

pirate.cgi.gif

If I can shake this darn cold by Saturday, I'm up for a fun day of geocaching -- anyone else like to meet Saturday morning?

Warm Fuzzies, do you want to stick around Redmond, or would you like to get out to the Puget Sound? into Seattle? go walking in the Cascades? There are some beautiful areas here, if you'd like to go for a short hike to snag some caches.

By the way, your hotel is in the Redmond Town Centre. You'll be a couple of blocks away from the REI (if you feel like drooling over GPS and hiking equipment). There are also several caches that are just a quick stroll from your hotel. Here's one of mine that is just a couple of blocks from where you're staying: 5 Year Cache

You can do a nearby cache search to see the others -- you know, if you need a quick cache fix some evening.

Cin

Wow, I completely missed this thread the first time it came around! From the date, it looks like it was when I was on vacation in July.

I would love to join the fun on Saturday. We will have a little dog recovering from surgery, so I might not be able to get away for long, but I'd love to link up. Fuzzy, just let us know what kinds of hunts you prefer.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hm, what kind of hunts do I like... Well, living in a larger city in a state that has zero - count 'em, zero - national parks, smack in the middle of Flatland, I've really only hunted the kind of caches the people in the forums tend to turn their noses up at - your basic city park, quarter mile from the car kind of caches.

I'm pretty sure I'm not up to any really long hikes or strenuous climbs, but the suggestion of a walk in the Cascades is beguiling, and I'd be willing to walk a few miles for a cache or two. Since my goal is more to socialize than to find a bazillion caches, a long walk would seem to be fitting.

I've already got a PQ of the 100 closest traditional and multi caches near my hotel, so I'm already planning on doing the stuff that's within walking distance of there some evening; maybe even dragging my boss along on the hunt and see if I can get him addicted. I see there's a micro across the street from MS Building 20, too, so I'll probably also try to find time to find that one when nobody'll miss me.

I also see that two of the infamous Dr. Ufo Koska's caches - Tenebrous and Die Kunst Der Fuge - appear to be within a few blocks of where I'm staying; is that a relatively safe area to be on foot in the evening? Should I even bother with the difficulty 5 one, given my limited schedule?

Anyway, that's all to say that Saturday can be for stuff that's further afield if that suits everyone. It looks like I'll have Internet access of a sort while I'm there, so we don't have to decide everything today.

pirate.cgi.gif

You are in a VERY safe place - no need to worry about being out at night anywhere near your hotel.

Tenebrous is a very easy walk and, now that micros have become all the rage and people are more familiar with them, not all that difficult. Fuge, on the other hand, will likely take you far too much time. The second and final stages would be a healthy walk, too - doable, but probably pushing the limits of what most would consider a "walking" cache. I would recommend Koska's Macbeth cache instead.

I'd love to get you up into some cool Cascades scenery on Saturday. Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe Snoqualmie Pass?

icon_geocachingwa.gif

We'd be up for a social get together sometime this weekend. Friday night or Sunday would be best for us. Some place that is kid friendly.

Snoqualmie Falls won't be running to fast but would still be amazing if you're a flatlander. Mt Si might also be good if you don't mind a good hike.

40158_1200.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

WF-F Hi Pepper here I'm free Saturday and I'm smack dab in the middle of Redmond.

Would be my pleasure to meet up with ua and take ya around to some fun close caches.

Even willing to take you to the Cascades to do some fun, easy, short walk caches.

How much time do ya have and are you free on Sunday too?

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Hey Fuzzy,

Good one to do would be Rattlesnake Ledge...nice hike up to great views. I've also placed a cache not too far from where the actual trail for the Ledge begins.

Annette Lake could be a suitable cache hike...haven't doen that one yet, but the hike itself is around 7 miles RT or so.

LucyandRickie have placed micros up on ski slopes....good views of the pass.

I've placed FRanklin Cache which is up in the Sno Pass area and it's almost a drive by if you want it to be. The other option is to take the trail from the beginning and hike almost a mile along the river to the cache.

Well, I'm here and I finally got my Internet connection working, so the only remaining question is when and where to do this thing. I'm available all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday, and I'm really flexible as to time. I am still basically adjusted to Indiana time, so even early in the morning isn't a big deal. If everyone who's interested in shooting the breeze and maybe finding a cache or two wanted to agree to meet somewhere near Redmond Town Center sometime Saturday morning, all y'all gotta do is tell me what time works for you and I'll be there. I vote for 8:30 or so at the Residence Inn in Redmond, but I'm more than willing to be laughed at. Since email is harder for me to deal with from here than web, feel free to talk amongst yourselves in this thread.

pirate.cgi.gif

*hack* hack* *cough* *cough*

I'm just now starting to see the light of day, after spending a week with nasty influenza. Unfortunately, it means I'm not really up for a day of caching yet (especially if it keeps raining!). I know the others will show you a good time, though. icon_smile.gif

Get them to take you to at least one of our local evil caches!

Cin

Fuzzy, I'll be at the Residence Inn tomorrow morning at 8:30. I'll meet you in the lobby and be wearing something geocaching related. Anyone else want to join us?

I'll have the morning free to take you around to whatever caches you feel like hitting - you make the call! I have to get back home in the afternoon to relieve my wife, who will be on puppy duty (we have a dog recovering from surgery who needs supervision; in fact, I'm staying home from work today to watch him).

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Well, folks, you missed your chance. icon_smile.gif

I met Moun10Bike and Jeremy in the lobby this morning and we drove out to the Snoqualmie Pass area and found five caches, which you can read all about if you go to Warm Fuzzies' profile. Thank you all for your hospitality, even if you couldn't make it, and special thanks to Moun10Bike for driving and guiding the tour to all of the caches he'd done before.

If any of you ever find your travel plans taking you to Fort Wayne, after you've ruled out suicide, look me up. We'll go find some flatlander caches together.

pirate.cgi.gif