Garmin 600 waypoint directions

I have a Garmin 600. When I go to my saved waypoints and select GO to that waypoint it doesn't. Instead it goes to the nearest geocache. This very frustrating as it's not doing what I requested. How to I get it to work correctly ? Is it defective ?

It's working properly. You are looking at what is called the Geocaching Dashboard, which points to the nearest cache (unless you navigate to a specific cache). The Geocaching Dashboard is for pointing at a Geocache. It's kind of handy, if you think about it. But it's confusing at first.

There is a Compass screen, selectable in the menu. Use that.

Edited by kunarion

I have a Garmin 600. When I go to my saved waypoints and select GO to that waypoint it doesn't. Instead it goes to the nearest geocache. This very frustrating as it's not doing what I requested. How to I get it to work correctly ? Is it defective ?

It's working properly. You are looking at what is called the Geocaching Dashboard, which points to the nearest cache (unless you navigate to a specific cache). The Geocaching Dashboard is for pointing at a Geocache. It's kind of handy, if you think about it. But it's confusing at first.

I tried that, same thing.

Stop navigation before picking the new waypoint. That once was kind of an issue, so I usually do that every time. See if that helps.

Stop navigation before picking the new waypoint. That once was kind of an issue, so I usually do that every time. See if that helps.

I've been doing that and trying different waypoints. Both compass and map direct me to the nearest geocache. I do like the geocaching dashboard and have always used it for caching.

Edited by rustynails.
I've been doing that and trying different waypoints. Both compass and map direct me to the nearest geocache. I do like the geocaching dashboard and have always used it for caching.

When did the problem develop? Is that a new problem?

So you're being directed to other coords than the coords you selected (the nearest Geocache)! What happens if no cache GPX files are loaded?

I wonder if it's a glitch in the profile. I'd expect if you switch to Recreation or a similar crow-flies profile, it would be fine, if it's at factory settings (no special Geocaching settings added). If you try that and it's OK, you could contact Garmin Support. They can provide a clean Geocaching Profile if the one you have has become strange. That would be a good first step before trying more drastic things.

Edited by kunarion

I changed the dashboard for the compass to small fields. This now allows me to use it for waypoints. However it still goes to the closest geocache when I touch GO when I choose a waypoint. This is obvious a defect. I must then select the compass.

You can change the dashboard on the map page as well.

Hinden%20Earthcache.png

Hans

Edited by HHL

I changed the dashboard for the compass to small fields. This now allows me to use it for waypoints. However it still goes to the closest geocache when I touch GO when I choose a waypoint. This is obvious a defect. I must then select the compass.

I hope you don't mind some more ideas, because it sure seems like you're looking at the Geocaching Dashboard. If not, more specific info may be useful.

Just for gee whiz, here's info about the Geocaching Dashboard.

The Geocaching Dashboard is shown at the top of this map screen.

It points to a Geocache, even when navigating to a waypoint.

That's what the Geocaching Dashboard is for:

45b743fc-e6ef-4a5b-bded-a067909a6151.jpg

This is the Small Fields Dashboard, with user-chosen fields:

10bc7b55-5049-4a7c-8dd4-bcfe776bb5b8.jpg

As HHL said, you can select a different dashboard, and you can have whatever dashboard and fields you wish on each screen. I'd suggest having the Geocaching Dashboard on the main menu, and Small Fields on the map screen, and a small or large field on the compass. For large field, the block might be set to something like distance, for a large, readable display.

It can be confusing, so on the Compass screen I have Small fields showing the Lat/Lon of the destination, and the name of the destination, so there's no doubt where the GPSr is directing me. Set it up like that, and you'll have more detail to tell Garmin Support if they are to be fixing it.

Edited by kunarion

By the way, you may find it annoying to constantly change dashboards, so instead, set up profiles for different purposes. When navigating to a geocache, your geocaching profile will have the geocache dashboard on the map. But when hiking or navigating to other waypoints, you may want other information displayed, so you can use a different dashboard.

Profiles are great. They let you customize all aspects of your GPS for different activities or even different user's tastes. Use them. They'll make your life simpler.