Garmin Oregon 600

Photom

My routine for geocaching is to drive to the proximity of the cache, then change the routing to direct routing, and change the screen to compass view.

(Back out of map view to main menu, select "Where to", select "change routing to direct", backout to main menu and select compass view)

The Oregon 600 is so customizable with profiles, shortcuts, programmable buttons.

Whatis the best method to either do this automatically - or with the push of a single button?

My routine for geocaching is to drive to the proximity of the cache, then change the routing to direct routing, and change the screen to compass view.

(Back out of map view to main menu, select "Where to", select "change routing to direct", backout to main menu and select compass view)

The Oregon 600 is so customizable with profiles, shortcuts, programmable buttons.

Whatis the best method to either do this automatically - or with the push of a single button?

Copy the Geocaching profile, name it something memorable, and customize it. I have two Geocaching profiles. One is Geocaching, the other I named CachingCar (it has street routing). I customized the settings, menus, and dashboards to be exactly what I use most for each, and switch between them.

I have "Change Profile" on the first page of each menu. To switch profiles even faster, look at customizing the hardware buttons.

Edited by kunarion

Yes - that's what I'm doing. But the question is exactly how do I do it with one button push?

With a shortcut. Go into Setup > Shortcuts and tap "Create Shortcut". Within a shortcut, you can have a ton of different things change all simultaneously, like various settings under Setup, going to a different "app", or even automatically starting navigation to a specified waypoint. Once you've made your shortcut do whatever you want it to do, go back to Setup > System > Configure Keys and attach the shortcut to whichever key press you want.

Alternatively, you could do what kunarion did and create separate profiles. You could then make a shortcut that switches between these profiles and assign that to a key.