But Maw, this intersection station is special

LSUFan

I am planning a trip to the World War I National Museum and Liberty Memorial Monument in Kansas City this summer with # 1 son. I was checking nearby benchmarks to see if anything was close, and lo and behold, the Liberty Monument is an intersection station. I don't usually log these, but just may have to with this one, on gc.com.

Anyhow, as I reading the station description, it almost seemed like the author (who could have been a WW1 veteran himself) was as impressed with the memorial as I am. What does everyone think, as I don't recall ever reading one with this kind of detail and history in the description?

I would want to see this, just from the NGS description.

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=KE1459

01/01/1934 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (CAS) THIS IS AN INTERSECTION STATION. THIS STATION IS THE LIBERTY MEMORIAL IN THE NORTHERN END OF PENN VALLEY PARK, JUST ACROSS THE PLAZA, DIRECTLY S OF THE UNION STATION, IN KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI. IT IS ON A HIGH POINT OF GROUND OVERLOOKING THE CITY. THE MONUMENT SETS ON A DIAS OF COBBLE STONES BETWEEN TWO CONCRETE BUILDINGS, KNOWN AS THE MUSEUM AND THE MEMORY HALL. IT WAS DEDICATED IN 1921 AND IS ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT OBJECTS IN THE CITY. THE SHAFT OF THE MONUMENT IS MADE OF CONCRETE BLOCK. IT RESEMBLES IN SHAPE A HUGE CYLINDER FROM WHICH DEEP SEMI-CIRCULAR SECTIONS HAVE BEEN CUT ON FOUR SIDES, ITS ENTIRE HEIGHT. IN THE DEPRESSIONS AROUND CONCRETE PILLARS RISE, NEARLY TO THE TOP OF THE SHAFT. AT THE TOP OF EACH PILLAR THERE IS A MARBLE BUST. THE TOP OF THE MONUMENT IS A HUGE CRUCIBLE, FROM WHICH RED FIRE SEEMS TO BURN AT NIGHT. THE SHAFT IS HOLLOW AND THE TOP CAN BE REACHED BY ELEVATOR FROM A DOOR AT THE N SIDE OF THE BASE. THE ENTIRE HEIGHT OF THE SHAFT IS 217 FEET AND IT EXTENDS ABOUT 440 FEET ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE MISSOURI RIVER.

Edited by LSUFan

I am planning a trip to the World War I National Museum and Liberty Memorial Monument in Kansas City this summer with # 1 son. I was checking nearby benchmarks to see if anything was close, and lo and behold, the Liberty Monument is an intersection station. I don't usually log these, but just may have to with this one, on gc.com.

Anyhow, as I reading the station description, it almost seemed like the author (who could have been a WW1 veteran himself) was as impressed with the memorial as I am. What does everyone think, as I don't recall ever reading one with this kind of detail and history in the description?

I would want to see this, just from the NGS description.

https://www.geocachi...aspx?PID=KE1459

01/01/1934 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (CAS) THIS IS AN INTERSECTION STATION. THIS STATION IS THE LIBERTY MEMORIAL IN THE NORTHERN END OF PENN VALLEY PARK, JUST ACROSS THE PLAZA, DIRECTLY S OF THE UNION STATION, IN KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI. IT IS ON A HIGH POINT OF GROUND OVERLOOKING THE CITY. THE MONUMENT SETS ON A DIAS OF COBBLE STONES BETWEEN TWO CONCRETE BUILDINGS, KNOWN AS THE MUSEUM AND THE MEMORY HALL. IT WAS DEDICATED IN 1921 AND IS ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT OBJECTS IN THE CITY. THE SHAFT OF THE MONUMENT IS MADE OF CONCRETE BLOCK. IT RESEMBLES IN SHAPE A HUGE CYLINDER FROM WHICH DEEP SEMI-CIRCULAR SECTIONS HAVE BEEN CUT ON FOUR SIDES, ITS ENTIRE HEIGHT. IN THE DEPRESSIONS AROUND CONCRETE PILLARS RISE, NEARLY TO THE TOP OF THE SHAFT. AT THE TOP OF EACH PILLAR THERE IS A MARBLE BUST. THE TOP OF THE MONUMENT IS A HUGE CRUCIBLE, FROM WHICH RED FIRE SEEMS TO BURN AT NIGHT. THE SHAFT IS HOLLOW AND THE TOP CAN BE REACHED BY ELEVATOR FROM A DOOR AT THE N SIDE OF THE BASE. THE ENTIRE HEIGHT OF THE SHAFT IS 217 FEET AND IT EXTENDS ABOUT 440 FEET ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE MISSOURI RIVER.

This looks like something I would like to see also. Way cool place... here is one of the smaller photos that is included in all of the GC logs....

073d5b19-49ca-4806-8390-5470568c6a0a.jpg

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LSUFan,

Thanks for bringing this interesting bit of history to the forum. We haven't had very many of these informational posts recently.

Don't want to hi-jack your thread with my all time favorite spire, but if others are interested maybe we could get a photo spread going titled something like "All Intersections, Great & Small". 2OF's, I bet that you have several. MEL