What's your current geocaching project?

1 hour ago, mvhayes1982 said:
2 hours ago, niraD said:

I think it would be much more interesting to create another "everyone gets FTF" cache than to create one that is deliberately annoying.

Please elaborate --  this does sound much more interesting. 

I've seen listings that included an Additional Logging Requirement (back when they were allowed) or an Additional Logging Request (which must be optional) that each log include a statement of how you were the First To Find this particular cache. A boring example might be "FTF by someone named niraD". A slightly more interesting example might be "FTF by someone wearing a Stanford Blood Center T-shirt".

I've also seen listings where the cache description used HTML to mimic the standard page template below the cache description, including several logs. The fake logs in the description included a copy of volunteer reviewer's Publish Listing log, plus a couple other logs (DNFs, Notes), but no Find logs. So based on that, FTF was still up for grabs.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, niraD said:

I've also seen listings where the cache description used HTML to mimic the standard page template below the cache description, including several logs. The fake logs in the description included a copy of volunteer reviewer's Publish Listing log, plus a couple other logs (DNFs, Notes), but no Find logs. So based on that, FTF was still up for grabs.

That's funny. Should be noticeable that the logs aren't full width, but might catch some people, if the CO keeps up to date on any current formatting updates too.

How about...not worrying about who's the first to find your caches when you hide 'em, and either hide caches, or don't?

I don't care who's first on ours.  (Nor do I mention who might or might not have gotten "FTF" on the cache page.)  That's for finders to argue about, not my problem.  I just want to give back something to those who have hidden caches for me to find.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Well, dare I say, worrying about who's the first to find your caches when you hide 'em is no worse than worrying about what other people worry about when they hide their own caches ;P

Personally I don't care about shoutouts to FTFers (it's in the log history already); but if someone else does, well live and let live.

• Upvote 1
On 8/3/2017 at 1:08 AM, niraD said:

From the geocache permanence guidelines:

Geocaches are placed for the long term.
Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

The permanence guideline would, of course,  prevent that kind of cache.  I had a similar idea, but it would require that a new cache type be created.  Basically, someone could hide a container somewhere as a type of puzzle cache.  The published coordinates would be meaningless.  Then the CO could post "hints" in the log (perhaps, up to 10 logs) once a day with each one providing a clue which narrows down the location.  The 10th and final log (assuming someone hasn't found it) would be the exact coordinates.  The first, and only finder could keep the container (with a FTF prize) and use it for another cache of this type.  

I've decided that I'm going to make a cache container out of recycled HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene) plastic which I'll melt, mold, and sculpt... I'm thinking an all-plastic bird house done this way would be fun.  Depending on how successful I am at the sculpting (I have a good heat gun and woodworking tools, so I may have luck) it may even be a gadget.

Anyone have pic of one done this way?

On 8/3/2017 at 2:24 PM, hzoi said:

How about...not worrying about who's the first to find your caches when you hide 'em, and either hide caches, or don't?

I don't care who's first on ours.  (Nor do I mention who might or might not have gotten "FTF" on the cache page.)  That's for finders to argue about, not my problem.  I just want to give back something to those who have hidden caches for me to find.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

I second this. On one of my hides, I gave a shoutout to a FTF-er then a second finder came a long and stated they found it too, and no one had signed the log before them. So then I'm like, "okay. so you're the first to find.." then the original FTF-er said, "no, I am! I didn't sign the log but here's a picture of the cache! I forgot my pen!" blah blah blah... 

After all that, I don't care anymore who finds what first. 

There are several places around the area where I live where I could do a pretty typical Mystery Cache. But there's an area that has a Mill that was abandoned in 2006 which, although you cannot enter it without permission from the town, has a lot of interesting places and hiding spots just outside its boundary. I don't know precisely what I want to do with it, I have found a good hiding spot and an excellent container. If I ever do place something there, i'll edit this post with the Cache's ID.

I just rediscovered Geocaching and found my first few caches. Since I started again I'm hyper alert to all kinds of nooks and crannies...but I'm well aware that there are no caches nearby...so I've started a location list for my own caches :D

My first one will be "Do you even Bungie?" and will be a regular hanging from a small footbridge. I'm using mostly found items for that, I'm like a mini-CITO whenever I go outside. :P

My next one will be a giant mushroom I'm making from clay and an old earthware drainage pipe. I might turn this into a series or my signature...

A third idea is to put a selfmade anemometer on a fence outside a local cafe, with permission but without any mention of their business in the name or discription.

And and and....I might end up with more owned than found :blink:

36 minutes ago, m3rcapto said:

I just rediscovered Geocaching and found my first few caches. Since I started again I'm hyper alert to all kinds of nooks and crannies...but I'm well aware that there are no caches nearby...so I've started a location list for my own caches :D

My first one will be "Do you even Bungie?" and will be a regular hanging from a small footbridge. I'm using mostly found items for that, I'm like a mini-CITO whenever I go outside. :P

My next one will be a giant mushroom I'm making from clay and an old earthware drainage pipe. I might turn this into a series or my signature...

A third idea is to put a selfmade anemometer on a fence outside a local cafe, with permission but without any mention of their business in the name or discription.

Welcome. Are you familiar with the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread?

I have been working with three other cachers for a major road trip in September. 

Inspired by the 48 in a week that was done awhile ago, we're doing all 48 states in two weeks. Throwing in some vacation time in the middle of the trip, and trying to snag a good combination of virtuals and physical caches, we're trying to make it as interesting as we can.

The biggest part of this project has been fine tuning our route to make sure we can maximize the use of our time. The other big challenge is making sure we capture as many caches in our pocket queries and GSAK searches as we can. We don't want to rely on just live map updates with cell phones so we're covering as much as we can.

6 hours ago, Zor said:

Inspired by the 48 in a week that was done awhile ago, we're doing all 48 states in two weeks.

Ah.... the impetuousness of youth!  ;)

Best wishes on your journey/quest!

padawan.jpg

Making/meeting some challenge ain't worth a lifetime of regret/pain.  :unsure::wacko::blink:

Edited by RufusClupea
jpg didn't stick
On 8/11/2017 at 3:29 PM, RufusClupea said:

Ah.... the impetuousness of youth!  ;)

Best wishes on your journey/quest!

padawan.jpg

Making/meeting some challenge ain't worth a lifetime of regret/pain.  :unsure::wacko::blink:

I'm actually the youngest in our group coming in at the young age of 43. 

Never too old to lose your mind on a road trip :)