What's your current geocaching project?

After 3 overseas trips in 2016, 2017 will be a quiet year for us. I'll just get a few caches now and then. Possibly attend the Mega in Victoria in November.

2018 I hope to go to Africa and shoot lots of animals (with my camera) and add some new countries and a new continent to my list. That's not even in the planning stage yet, though.

Main project - keep having fun.

When you do start planning your Africa trip let me know. I've been there six times so might be able to offer some advice.

I made my first geocach and I'm looking over the best places to hide it keeping to the guidlines of being som many feet from another cache. I was considering a virtual cache , but the neighborhood isn't the best of places and don't want to put anyone at risk.

The guidelines haven't allowed virtual caches in over 10 years.

Well for a little bit I have been trying to hide a Travel Bug hospital, of course there is making it with something a little bit more creative, and finding a good place to hide it, but both of these things might take a while. Also I want to create a multi-cache that has puzzle box as a couple of the stages you need to solve for the next stage, but I'm not sure if this should be a mystery or a multi, and again there is someplace to hide it. But those are my main projects!

Last year I did a 2nd loop of the date found grid, this year doing a 3rd loop (and so on until I get bored!) - the next 2 Saturdays then nothing until April. So that's easy.

Currently a pipe dream but might happen, is a 4-day road trip from one end of Britain to the other with fellow cacher metal-bijou. So Oxfordshire to John O'Groats (NE tip of Scotland) to Lands End (SW tip of England) and back. 4 unusual months to pick up en route. Two of those (Scotland's First, and one on the England - Scotland border) involve nice long hill walks. Lots of counties to tick off.

The main challenge cache I'm working on fits in nicely with the above as it's set by metal-bijou - it's similar to something mentioned higher up the thread, ie a cache in every 5-mile increment up to 250.

Wales' first is a day trip and a hill walk away, would be rude not to.

I'm 5th-highest finder of caches in my county, should get up to 4th this year.

I have found all the mysteries within 15 miles of home, am working on the puzzles up to 18 miles now.

Only one cache in Oxford to go (and there are some notoriously hard trads and mysteries) - up an underground river (tunnel) on hands and knees for 200m or so. Maybe in the summer.

Edited by Oxford Stone

Only one cache in Oxford to go (and there are some notoriously hard trads and mysteries) - up an underground river (tunnel) on hands and knees for 200m or so. Maybe in the summer.

I've found a few like that. A good set of utility gloves and kneepads will save you some wear and tear. Or use (or borrow) a skateboard and just scoot in on your belly.

Currently working on getting my geocaching karma back up, putting out new hides.

Part of that will be evaluating how the new Rubbermaid Brilliance containers hold up as geocaches.

71MyXIigctL._SY355_.jpg

They have a nice seal and are advertised as "100% Leakproof." Yeah, we'll see about that.

I did scour the outer surface and then use flat primer/paint to camo them, but it shouldn't interfere with the seal.

Edited by hzoi
On 1/31/2017 at 10:04 AM, hzoi said:

Currently working on getting my geocaching karma back up, putting out new hides.

Part of that will be evaluating how the new Rubbermaid Brilliance containers hold up as geocaches.

71MyXIigctL._SY355_.jpg

They have a nice seal and are advertised as "100% Leakproof." Yeah, we'll see about that.

I did scour the outer surface and then use flat primer/paint to camo them, but it shouldn't interfere with the seal.

Update: Rubbermaid Brilliance containers do not, in fact, keep water from leaking in.  Had to dump out one that was relatively sheltered.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Thanks for the update; I better make plans to go check on the one I put out a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, I'm disappointed.  I was thinking of putting a few more out; at least I know not to use these again.

(I also hedged my bet by putting the log in a PET preform tube, so at least the log stayed dry!)

I know this is an old thread -- but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. 

I'm 7 days into a run at 366 days, aiming to fill in my calendar grid and beating my previous high streak of 31 (Thank you Groundspeak for the 2013 August souvenirs). November 25th will be my 6th anniversary as a cacher, and I'd like to find 261 caches before then. That'll get my overall "Finds Per Day" up to 0.5. And lastly, I'm trying to figure out where the heck to hide a cache. No skirt-lifters. While I certainly find those and log them -- I don't want my hides to be the "well, here was an empty spot". The problem I face is that there are some awesome cache-owners (both the creative and the prolific) in my neck of the woods, so many of the good spots are just gone. 

52 minutes ago, NanCycle said:
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Update: Rubbermaid Brilliance containers do not, in fact, keep water from leaking in.  Had to dump out one that was relatively sheltered.

Thanks for the update; I better make plans to go check on the one I put out a couple weeks ago.

Hmmm, we recently replaced a container with a "Snapware" container, that seems to seal pretty well - lid snaps into place and there is a rubber/silicone gasket around the top.  We had been compairing the Rubbermaid containers with the Snapware and made a choice.  We'll see how it holds up....

sw_total_solutions_10pc_gls_storage_set_1109331.jpg?sw=256&sh=256&sm=fit&sfrm=tif

12 minutes ago, mvhayes1982 said:

so many of the good spots are just gone. 

"Good spots" is a subjective term.  Is your definition of "good spots" limited to wooded hikes or are you open to a greater variety?  If the latter...well, I can tell you there is no end to "good spots".  You just need to go exploring a bit.  I've worked in my current office for over two years now and explore the area regularly.  I'm still finding new and interesting spots...sometimes by accident, sometimes after perusing a map, sometimes after seeing a photo posted by a friend or a local on social media of a spot I'd never known about before.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

"Good spots" is a subjective term.  Is your definition of "good spots" limited to wooded hikes or are you open to a greater variety?  If the latter...well, I can tell you there is no end to "good spots".  You just need to go exploring a bit.

You're not at all wrong. I'm open to a great variety. My greatest obstacles are my overall lack of creativity and... call it shyness or whatever, but just figuring out (once I find a spot) how to ask for permission to place the hide. 

I am producing 8 gadget caches that are rather simple (solve within 2-3 minutes) for a  RoombaCats Run.    This will be similar to the game "Clue".   Like the clue players (plum, Col Mustard,scarlet, white, etc) there are 9 types of unsavory Geocachers (The Stats Addict, Challenge Cacher,  Numbers Junkie, Cache and Dasher (dream cache, no getting out of the car), The reluctant Participant, FTF Hound, Puzzler (makes "impossible to solve" puzzles), The Narcissistic Re-hider, Travel bug loser (Loses travel bugs)), instead of weapons, it's TOTTs, and location are the 8 gadget caches.   Each of the 8 caches will have a Cacher type, TOTT and, of course the cache  name ( Cache code word inside the cache).    Its a process of eliminate to find the remaining Cacher, TOTT and cache name  to determine how to get into the last cache.  The roombacats run is about 80% done.  I will place everything this fall when the weather is more accommodating for everyone. It will be 100-112 till the end of august

Edited by RoombaCats

Very clever cache!   I recall landing at Phoenix Airport,  doing an online search and finding many of you caches.   Wish I could have had more time to check them out.   I see you live in  the desert too, my condolences.   What method do you use to conceal  this cache container or is it in a remote location?

On 1/28/2017 at 9:32 PM, cliptwings said:

Just got this one published, after a bit of "coordination." It's an Arduino powered gadget cache called "Cut the Cheese," GC6ZHj7. Here's a video of how it works:

I'll--pardon the expression--pass. :rolleyes:

But seriously, what if whoever finds it doesn't... um...  possess what it takes?

2 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

But seriously, what if whoever finds it doesn't... um...  possess what it takes?

Okay, instead of a pulling a latch to open the cache, pulling a fake finger on that cache would have been hilarious!!!!!!

Edited by RoombaCats

I have a geocache named Houdini that I cannot put into the wild without getting muggled.  Perhaps someone can use my idea on a birdhouse cache. The back of the box is on a post but the box door has a locked deadbolt  keeping it closed (picture shows the keys, but these are removed).  The goal is to open the lock in the front door without a key.    

The trick is that there is a stationary bracket inside the box mounted to the post.  The bracket was made from a small caster without the wheel.  This C-shaped bracket fits around the deadbolt knob inside of the box. Pulling a bolt from the back of the cache post (the bolt is in two halves creating the illusion that a carriage bolt is securely holding the box on). Removing the bolt will allow the box to rotate counterclockwise on the post.  

With the internal bracket stationary (attached to the post), the bracket will rotate the deadbolt knob on the inside and allow the door to open as the box rotation reaches 100 degrees.  Basically, we are rotating the deadbolt, and the knob is staying put.  The first Houdini box I placed got smashed to bits almost immediately by muggles.    It was too visible.  I still have the second Houdini cache.   I now use it as a "show and tell" vanity cache at mega events or timed contests at various local geocaching events.  LIke I said, this would make a good birdhouse cache.   The pivot point is a PVC 2" threaded end cap to keep the box and the threaded cap holds the bracket.  I can take a picture if someone wants to see it.

Houdini1.JPG

Houdini2.jpg

Edited by RoombaCats
On 6/12/2016 at 1:41 PM, cliptwings said:

I'm building an arduino-powered gadget cache called "Timing is Everything." The premise behind it is that the container (plastic ammo can) will automatically unlock at the top of each hour, for one minute. .

I have been wanting to build something similar, but rather "FTF nightmare".   We have obsessive FTF people in our group.  These people LITERALLY have top 10 rankings for the U.S. or even the world regarding FTF count.  The closest I have come to a FTF with these guys around is signing a new replacement log.  :) I would love to have a FTF gadget cache, but it would be a game of chance.  If the win outcome fails, it is locked out for a duration with the countdown time uploaded to the net.  Oddly enough, these guys would love this, the are hyper-competitive.    Nobody "flame me" because they think this is a bad idea, I'm saying this is a bad idea for normal people, but these guys would relish the idea that they had beaten someone else to a FTF in this case because they are obsessive FTF lunatics (but lovable)!    The Cache would be archived after the FTF.  I am hoping someone would perhaps take this idea and spark something better.  Any takers?

Edited by RoombaCats
4 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

Oh, I so like the "Stay away from my Geocache".     BRILLIANT!  I started but did not finish a similar cache where the container was located below three types of motion sensors at the end of a hallway.   The sensors were PIR, Ultrasonic and Microwave.   If someone moves slow enough, they can get to the cache without it locking,   Oh, and if only all three sensors were triggered, would the cache lock.   The lock used a 12V linear slide door lock mechanism.   

Edited by RoombaCats

It would be possible to create a cache where the player enters their account name into a website and a hash algorithm runs and tells the user the day of the week and five minute window that they can enter their account name and the lock will open allowing them to sign the log.  The window would be based on the account name hash, and could be limited to daylight hours easy enough, but still, it would make it interesting.  Would that qualify as a FTF Nightmare?

Edited by Schirf
Additional Information
50 minutes ago, Schirf said:

It would be possible to create a cache where the player enters their account name into a website and a hash algorithm runs and tells the user the day of the week and five minute window that they can enter their account name and the lock will open allowing them to sign the log.  The window would be based on the account name hash, and could be limited to daylight hours easy enough, but still, it would make it interesting.  Would that qualify as a FTF Nightmare?

It might qualify for an Ignore List.

• Upvote 2

Another Cache Idea, I occasionally find pictures on Pintrest.com that make good geocaches.    One is a cache I am currently placing named Candy Cache.  As far as I know, this is an original idea.    On pintrest, there is a picture of several candy bar cross sections.   The pintrest caption asked "Can you name each of these candy bars?"    I made this into a multi-cache.  The box is a wooden box made to look like an 8" x 8" box of candy.   Inside will be the pintrest picture with numbers under each candy bar.    The coordinates of stage 2 looks like N34  28.[almond joy, snickers, butterfinger] W 118  56. [Rolo, Twix, Milky Way].   The final destination is a candy shop (Rocket Fizz) in my town.  When published, (hopefully this weekend) the cache will be GC74026 if you want to see the site.  A list of the candy bars are in the description (in no particular order) plus a spoiler picture with the candy bar names is available at a nearby coordinate if they want it.  I hope this sparks ideas or inspires others to try this type of cache idea.   Unfortunately, multi caches don't get the love they deserve so we'll see how this goes.  

candy1.JPG

candy2.JPG

Edited by RoombaCats
misspelled words
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, RoombaCats said:

Oh please post how this one works or list the cache GC name.  I'm dying to know more about this one!!!!!

I'll post a video of it in operation once I get it placed.  I've received approval from a local Fire Department to hang it behind their station, but there is an abandoned (since 2013), waterlogged, broken container within the same zone that needs to be archived before I can list it. 

Here is an out-take from the listing I'll make:

Keystone Experimental Rainbow Monitoring Isotopic Transponder
Authorized by the State of Pennsylvania on Nov. 2, 1975, the K.E.R.M.I.T. project was transferred to the United States Department of Energy with its formation (PL 95-91 of Aug. 4, 1977). Th
e first successful test of the device occurred in early 1981, and 45 units were constructed and placed in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania later that year. The network monitored 8267 rainbow incidents, including 1012 confirmed double rainbows and 54 possible triple rainbows over its 5+ years in operation. Unfortunately, the project's primary objective, which remains classified, was officially declared a failure on Dec. 24, 1986 and the network was dismantled. Several of the devices were turned over to the Pennsylvania State University’s Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences for use in developing NOAA (GS-1340) Requirements. This is a 1:1 scale model of K.E.R.M.I.T. version 8.2, created by PhD candidate (NAME WITHHELD). The internal mechanisms are on display in the Millennium Science Complex (Huck) Materials Research Institute.

Note: Some have speculated that the project's real mission was to monitor the nefarious activities of leprechauns.

One of the most unique of my geocaches to date is a cache I am calling "Balls of steel".   It's a gadget cache where the goal is to move the 1" diameter log container sphere past the two steel balls to the hole in the clear tube to access the log.    The 2" diameter steel balls are from a Wrought Iron fence supply store, the 2.5" diameter clear lexan tube, from a plastic company, and the stainless steel end fittings are from a pencil jar.  THere is a knob on one end to help extract it from the hollow log I will be using for concealment.  

I used a hole saw to drill three 1" diameter holes in each steel ball just barely larger than the spherical cache container (found in a gumball machine (see picture 2)).  There is a horseshoe magnet (not shown) to help manipulate the steel balls to help the log container through the holes.    A hole in the opposite side of the clear tube allows the log container to exit (see right side of picture 1).   The whole thing is about 14 inches long.  It's easier than it looks, taking about two minutes to get the log out.   Returning the spherical log container is easy, the end cap (left side) screws off and there is a 1" diameter hole in the back end just big enough to allows the log container to be inserted back into the tube but not removed.  I used string trimmer line nubs around the hole on the interior side that only flex inward).   Let me know what you think and any ways to make it better. I am hoping to get this out in two weeks.    My wife has my next weekend planned for tiling the living room. :(   

balls tube.JPG

balls open container.JPG

Edited by RoombaCats
2 hours ago, RoombaCats said:

One of the most unique of my geocaches to date is a cache I am calling "Balls of steel".   It's a gadget cache where the goal is to move the 1" diameter log container sphere past the two steel balls to the hole in the clear tube to access the log.    The 2" diameter steel balls are from a Wrought Iron fence supply store, the 2.5" diameter clear lexan tube, from a plastic company, and the stainless steel end fittings are from a pencil jar.  THere is a knob on one end to help extract it from the hollow log I will be using for concealment.  

I used a hole saw to drill three 1" diameter holes in each steel ball just barely larger than the spherical cache container (found in a gumball machine (see picture 2)).  There is a horseshoe magnet (not shown) to help manipulate the steel balls to help the log container through the holes.    A hole in the opposite side of the clear tube allows the log container to exit (see right side of picture 1).   The whole thing is about 14 inches long.  It's easier than it looks, taking about two minutes to get the log out.   Returning the spherical log container is easy, the end cap (left side) screws off and there is a 1" diameter hole in the back end just big enough to allows the log container to be inserted back into the tube but not removed.  I used string trimmer line nubs around the hole on the interior side that only flex inward).   Let me know what you think and any ways to make it better. I am hoping to get this out in two weeks.    My wife has my next weekend planned for tiling the living room. :(   

balls tube.JPG

balls open container.JPG

I like this, Hope it works and doesnt disappear.

7 hours ago, RoombaCats said:

Let me know what you think and any ways to make it better. I am hoping to get this out in two weeks.    My wife has my next weekend planned for tiling the living room. :(  

Not wearing my reading glasses--read "tiling" as "tilling", and for a brief second had a very bizarre visual... B)

Love the cache idea, but I can see some possible issues--hope you can/have resolve(d) them.

• The small log container may be a maintenance botheration--got replacements? 
  • Might someone try to remove the end-cap with the handle (kinda looks like it's spozeta be removed that way).
  • Some may still (especially if vexed by the solution) try to remove the log container via the end that screws off (prying it out with sticks, etc.)
  • If the string trimmer nubs don't work out, either a piece of plastic or leather with an ☼ cut into it might work (or a 1" check valve)
8 hours ago, RoombaCats said:

balls open container.JPG

To prevent constant replacement of the log, maybe have the small container simply have a piece of paper containing the combination for a lock on something larger, such as an ammo can?  I'd love to borrow this idea and mount the whole thing vertically (or close to it, perhaps on a hinge to allow for some play in the orientation), with the objective to get the small to drop out of a stack of those steel pieces. 

For your current design, can someone insert a tube, place it against the small container, and then suck on the tube with enough force to pull it back through the string trimmer line nubs, which would be flexed around the suction tube?

Edited by Schirf
On 5/26/2016 at 9:06 AM, CFphoto said:

Just wondering what everyone is working on? I imagine with challenges being reinstated there are quite a few people working towards putting together a new challenge and hopefully we've also got many here working on other exciting things as well. Could be placing a cache, a cool puzzle or multi, or even just personal geocaching goals. So, whatcha got going?

(I'll post my current project later in the thread to avoid it seeming like it's about my specific thing.)

I am working on converting all of my cache hides to the same type of container. Except one the area doesn't allow for this type of container. 

I am also working on trying to reach 1,000 Finds by the end of the year, and would like to purchase a 1,000 Finds coin once I'm there. 

A bit OT, but curious about some of these gizmos...

Steel rusts, wood rots, just normal weather here creates condensation, what kinda container are these housed in?

Is it strictly an arid environment? 

Here, most we've seen that involve electronics are carped out in a short time, or a nightmare for maintenance (replacements).

We haven't found more than a handful of gizmo caches that weren't broken/nonfunctional when we got there.

Thanks.  :)

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

And what about older more seasoned cachers....?  You know what they say, never trust a fart past the age of 40. You might have to cleanup the mess.

33 minutes ago, bflentje said:

And what about older more seasoned cachers....?  You know what they say, never trust a fart past the age of 40. You might have to cleanup the mess.

Since when is there an age component? 

Isn't that like saying, "Never trust a politician past the age of [Fill in Blank]" or "Never trust a politician.... period!"?

MLoldfart.jpeg

3 hours ago, Schirf said:

To prevent constant replacement of the log, maybe have the small container simply have a piece of paper containing the combination for a lock on something larger, such as an ammo can?  I'd love to borrow this idea and mount the whole thing vertically (or close to it, perhaps on a hinge to allow for some play in the orientation), with the objective to get the small to drop out of a stack of those steel pieces. 

For your current design, can someone insert a tube, place it against the small container, and then suck on the tube with enough force to pull it back through the string trimmer line nubs, which would be flexed around the suction tube?

Someone could try to extract the log through the back.   However, I think most finders will be more intrigued with the challenge of getting it through the two metal balls.  With the magnet, positioning the holes in the metal balls is fairly easy and fun.  I was surprised as to the level of control the magnet provides.  If the player can position the hole and roll the metal ball over the log container using the magnet, the log container will usually come out easily from the other two other holes in the ball.  I added the second ball  to keep it from being too easy.  

I like the idea of using the code rather than a log to open a separate container.  My original thought was to use a small combo lock on the back with the code on the log to allow log replacement.  With your comment, I realize that I can put the log in the back under the screw cap, lock it and put the combination code in the small log container. I need something with a consistent diameter to ensure it works every time.   

I have ten other small log containers (spent $3 at the gum machine) and I have made a second cache in case this one goes missing.  This original design came together in about three hours.   It was dumb luck that the stainless steel pencil can fit the tube, it make perfect end fittings.  Making the second cache took about 30 minutes.     I usually make a duplicate as a potential replacement or to share at events if I am far enough away from home.  I also like to display them in my hobby room.

I appreciate everyone's comments, suggestions and great ideas :)   Of course, anyone is welcome to take this cache idea and hopefully come up with something better. :)   Let me know if you do.

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

A bit OT, but curious about some of these gizmos...

Steel rusts, wood rots, just normal weather here creates condensation, what kinda container are these housed in?

Is it strictly an arid environment?

The key to the wooden ones is to keep them off the ground, painted and/or polyurethane coated, and with slanted tops and built-drains (basically nice birdhouse designs).  Occasionally oiling hinges is also a good idea.   I've watched videos showing in-ground gadget caches in arid environments that would never survive on the east coast.   I'd consider doing something like RoombaCat's steel balls, but I think I'd have to paint them.

I've build more gadgets than I've placed under my name... finding a place to put them is hard for me.   I have one that requires the cacher to pour a half gallon of water into it and it's been rejected by more places than I care to remember.  It's designed to be wet.

1 hour ago, Schirf said:

I have one that requires the cacher to pour a half gallon of water into it and it's been rejected by more places than I care to remember.  It's designed to be wet.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2TGXF_archimedes-my-kind-of-guy We have one like that in Louisville. It is one of the very few gadget caches I've ever found, but definitely one of my favorite caches ever. 

2 hours ago, Schirf said:

The key to the wooden ones is to keep them off the ground, painted and/or polyurethane coated, and with slanted tops and built-drains (basically nice birdhouse designs).  Occasionally oiling hinges is also a good idea.   I've watched videos showing in-ground gadget caches in arid environments that would never survive on the east coast.   I'd consider doing something like RoombaCat's steel balls, but I think I'd have to paint them.

I've build more gadgets than I've placed under my name... finding a place to put them is hard for me.   I have one that requires the cacher to pour a half gallon of water into it and it's been rejected by more places than I care to remember.  It's designed to be wet.

Thanks.  :)

Other than sometimes guideline issues, "fill the pipe" caches seem to be the only ones  that seem to last here.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:34 PM, RoombaCats said:

I have been wanting to build something similar, but rather "FTF nightmare".   We have obsessive FTF people in our group.  These people LITERALLY have top 10 rankings for the U.S. or even the world regarding FTF count.  The closest I have come to a FTF with these guys around is signing a new replacement log.  :) I would love to have a FTF gadget cache, but it would be a game of chance.  If the win outcome fails, it is locked out for a duration with the countdown time uploaded to the net.  Oddly enough, these guys would love this, the are hyper-competitive.    Nobody "flame me" because they think this is a bad idea, I'm saying this is a bad idea for normal people, but these guys would relish the idea that they had beaten someone else to a FTF in this case because they are obsessive FTF lunatics (but lovable)!    The Cache would be archived after the FTF.  I am hoping someone would perhaps take this idea and spark something better.  Any takers?

Just thought of a way to enhance the FTF Nightmare aggravation.   Continue with the game of chance and lockout time.    Create 10 nearby new caches in a remote area where people would be unlikely to go, a common key for 10 of the cache containers in found in the FTF Nightmare container.   That would up the stakes for the the FTF obsessed lunatics we have in our group.   Even if this were a challenge cache,  I am sure this violates letter and spirit of the law rules for geocaching, but it is fun to think about.

aggrev.JPG

On 8/1/2017 at 4:34 PM, RoombaCats said:

The Cache would be archived after the FTF. 

From the geocache permanence guidelines:

Geocaches are placed for the long term.
Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, niraD said:

From the geocache permanence guidelines:

Geocaches are placed for the long term.
Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

How about permanent caches where the access codes have small windows, such as the "FTF Nightmare" I suggested.  Built with an Arduino clock and calendar, a cache could be made to be available for each user for only 10 minutes a week, with the 10 minute window changing from week to week... and the user could find out the next few windows by checking a website.   The Cache is permanent, but access to it opens and closes.  If windows scheduled for 10 hours a day, say 9am through 7pm, that's 420 windows a week, and with 420 different schedules you'd not have a mad-rush for the cache, since my window is very likely to be different from yours, etc.

27 minutes ago, Schirf said:

How about permanent caches where the access codes have small windows, such as the "FTF Nightmare" I suggested.  Built with an Arduino clock and calendar, a cache could be made to be available for each user for only 10 minutes a week, with the 10 minute window changing from week to week... and the user could find out the next few windows by checking a website.   The Cache is permanent, but access to it opens and closes.  If windows scheduled for 10 hours a day, say 9am through 7pm, that's 420 windows a week, and with 420 different schedules you'd not have a mad-rush for the cache, since my window is very likely to be different from yours, etc.

I don't see a permanence issue with this design. As you said, the cache is there.

What I do see is someone organizing a large group trip. With a few dozen people, the odds are that someone in the group is going to have a window that is reasonable. The person with the window can open the container, and everyone with them can log the find.

Or maybe someone would make it an actual event, something like niraD's FTF Nightmare Window. The actual event could occur prior to the window, and then after the event, the organizer and all the attendees could go grab the cache.

Assuming that people don't just enter random strings until they get one that hashes to the current 10-minute window.

Personally, I don't see the point in creating a cache that's specifically designed to antagonize the local FTF community. I think it would be much more interesting to create another "everyone gets FTF" cache than to create one that is deliberately annoying.