What's your current geocaching project?

I love it when the cold and snow moves into the WV mountains. That is when I move into my work shop. I have a "list" of about 10 gadgets caches I'm anxious to design, build and test. About half of them are Arduino based. Thank goodness I have a partner in Olaf my German friend that loves coding as much as I love building.

Finding more non-traditional geocache types. I'd like to maintain 1 non-traditional for every three traditional types, or 75%.

I was thinking the same just this week, about keeping our trads at 80%, we are at 84% now. But this weekend we are hitting a trail of caches through a nearby forest, planning on doing about 50-60, yes, all trads (apart from one earthcache).

Finishing the Texas County Challenge. I currently have 236 of 254 counties done. The final 18 will be tackled Sunday & Monday (my birthday). Approximately 1100 more miles to have it done. After that, I anticipate the thrill of no longer assembling routes, itineraries and gpx's for road trips for a few months.

Finishing the Texas County Challenge. I currently have 236 of 254 counties done. The final 18 will be tackled Sunday & Monday (my birthday). Approximately 1100 more miles to have it done. After that, I anticipate the thrill of no longer assembling routes, itineraries and gpx's for road trips for a few months.

Congrats in advance! Even though I chipped away at several Texas counties when we lived in Lawton and then later in El Paso, I never really figured on the Texas County Challenge to be a realistic goal. But I make it a point to complete a county and/or Delorme challenge every place the Army moves us, so when we moved to El Paso, I figured it'd be easier to get New Mexico than to try for the 200 or so Texas counties I had left. And I was right, especially since we only stayed in El Paso for a year and a half!.

To make Wherigos more mainstream in my home area, by hiding them, by finding them, and soon teaching others how to hide and find them.

And that is greatly appreciated by (at least some of)us in the area. Although lately my phone and WhereYouGo don't want to cooperate, so I haven't picked up any of yours for a while. Oh my goodness, I see it's been a year since the HHXI one. I gotta get this figured out.

" Working on grids, -- date found, date hidden, Fizzy, Jasmer, etc."

So what are these grids & where do you find them??

What is a Fizzy & Jasmer???

I've only been caching since August, found my first 100 caches, released my first travel bug into the wild, attached tracking number to my Vintage Travel Trailer and it's Tow Vehicle & Visited the Cache Cave in Spokane Valley....

I'm still learning to recognize the variety of types of caches.

:) SuzyQ - HyppeSyster

So what are these grids & where do you find them??
Some are available on your Statistics page:

https://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

Others are available from various third-party statistics tools.

What is a Fizzy & Jasmer???
These are based on well-known challenge caches. Here is a Help Center article on Challenge Caches in general:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

And here is a blog post that describes the Fizzy and Jasmer challenges specifically (as well as the 365 challenge):

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2014/08/jasmer-fizzy-and-365/

I made a promise to my son (7) that I wouldn't cache without him, so filling our D:T grid will take some time! We are chipping away at getting the 4x4 corner filled though.....

Sounds like a good excuse for boat caching, which would take care of some of those missing T5 caches without creating a huge obstacle for your son.

I made a promise to my son (7) that I wouldn't cache without him, so filling our D:T grid will take some time! We are chipping away at getting the 4x4 corner filled though.....

Sounds like a good excuse for boat caching, which would take care of some of those missing T5 caches without creating a huge obstacle for your son.

Exactly.... there is a nice little canoeing series near us, we have been waiting for weather to warm up and the CO to fix a few, now this is done we are just waiting for some free time. The T 4.5's are going to be tricky!

Exactly.... there is a nice little canoeing series near us, we have been waiting for weather to warm up and the CO to fix a few, now this is done we are just waiting for some free time, and maybe for the weather to cool down! The T 4.5's are going to be tricky!

Exactly.... there is a nice little canoeing series near us, we have been waiting for weather to warm up and the CO to fix a few, now this is done we are just waiting for some free time. The T 4.5's are going to be tricky!

Yup, it's ironic; in my experience, T4 and T4.5 are usually tougher for me to complete than T5.

Yup, it's ironic; in my experience, T4 and T4.5 are usually tougher for me to complete than T5.
Yeah, when you've got the special equipment that causes a T5 to be rated T5, they're usually fairly straight-forward. I don't have any T4 finds. And my T4.5 finds tend to be "special equipment" caches where the equipment required isn't all that special, so the owner uses T4.5 as a form of "T5 lite".

Congratulations to GMartinTX on accomplishing this goal. Welcome to the club, sir.

Congratulations to GMartinTX on accomplishing this goal. Welcome to the club, sir.

Thanks TV! Just waiting to sign the log and make it official...

Five items close to the front burner.

1. Tripling up my Jasmer. *(1 oldie to go)

2. 100 caches during 2000 and 2001 for a Challenge in Washington state. *(8 to go)

3. 50 U.S.A. states. *(2 to go)

4. Brazil for the Ape Cache. *(This coming spring)

5. Trying to figure out why Pg. 54 of The So. Calif DeLorme does not "colorize". *(I have a qualifier and am pouting LOL, LOL ... am in touch with "the profilers")

A few on the back burner

1. Completing the Original Fizzy requirements. *(had lunch with FizzyMagic 2 years ago).

2. 10 Canadian Provinces and the Territories.

This year I wanted to:

• Have over 100 lonely (not found in > 1 year) finds
  • Find caches below -200 feet
  • Reach over 50% non-traditional finds

I've achieved done all of them, and had a lot of fun on the way.

Next year?

• Finish out elevations up to 14,000 feet
  • Add at least 2 countries to my list
  • See a total solar eclipse

Again, they are secondary to the fun, of course.

Oh! And have lunch with more awesome people like Humboldt Flier! Meeting new cachers has always been a real joy.

Edited by fizzymagic

I don't have any geocaching projects and I'm perfectly okay with that. I enjoy finding caches in new places (especially if it's a new country) that I have not yet visited but I wouldn't consider that a project.

I typically do not consider any of my geocaching activities as a finder as a project (with perhaps the exception of splitting on a long distance hiking cache into several smaller units). When I plan my cache hides it much more feels like a project. I have recently submitted my second hiking multi cache this year and I plan to hide at least one further of that too much neglected type next year.

In my opinion there is too much focus on plans what cachers want to achieve as finders (that's not directed to any particular person).

As I get closer to nailing down the Virginia county, independent city, and virtual cache challenges, my eye looks elsewhere for the next excuse to take local road trips. I'm thinking the Maryland and Delaware county challenges and the Maryland and Delaware Delorme Challenge.

There is a challenge somewhere to find caches put out by 100 revieweres. I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

I'm not aware of a challenge cache based on caches hidden by reviewers ("put out"). There are lots of challenge caches based on the reviewer who published a cache you found. I see them for numbers like 50, 75, 80 and 120 but I couldn't readily find one for exactly 100. (Too bad, since my player account is at 95 reviewers at the moment!) EDIT: I see you're at 128, so the 120 reviewer challenge is perfect for you.

The easiest way to find these various challenge caches would be to us Project-GC's challenge checker tool. Just enter "Reviewer" in the search box and it will return dozens of challenges of this genre.

Edited by Keystone

Done 2016:

* Found 150/month for 12 months

* Will I hit 10,000 by Dec31? (not likely, but who knows)

* Visited Iceland; climbed a mountain for a cache, explored a lava tube for a cache; amongst a number of other caches of course

* In Iceland, found a non-GC cache listed on a different site (that's now defunct), listed in 2004, last logged 2005 (dead site doesn't allow any other online activity), but found it lying on a rock open to the elements. a film can. it was found a few times since, with the original log sheet intact, but no written logs since 2011. Baffling. I'm writing all about it in an article series covering my trip - this being my actual current geocaching project :) (I did update the container and hide properly for the sake of the fun of the cache!)

Still working on:

* 17x fizzy up to 20x fizzy (just want to get those challenge caches out of the way :P)

* Complete 360 degree challenge (a cache in every degree around center) in Ontario - this one's taking a lot longer than I thought

* Get a car. Finish more pesky challenges with widely dispersed qualifiers.

Really though, my highlight this year has definitely been that Iceland trip. cool.gif

Done 2016:

* Found 150/month for 12 months

* Will I hit 10,000 by Dec31? (not likely, but who knows)

* Visited Iceland; climbed a mountain for a cache, explored a lava tube for a cache; amongst a number of other caches of course

* In Iceland, found a non-GC cache listed on a different site (that's now defunct), listed in 2004, last logged 2005 (dead site doesn't allow any other online activity), but found it lying on a rock open to the elements. a film can. it was found a few times since, with the original log sheet intact, but no written logs since 2011. Baffling. I'm writing all about it in an article series covering my trip - this being my actual current geocaching project :) (I did update the container and hide properly for the sake of the fun of the cache!)

Still working on:

* 17x fizzy up to 20x fizzy (just want to get those challenge caches out of the way :P)

* Complete 360 degree challenge (a cache in every degree around center) in Ontario - this one's taking a lot longer than I thought

* Get a car. Finish more pesky challenges with widely dispersed qualifiers.

Really though, my highlight this year has definitely been that Iceland trip. cool.gif

I'm curious as to which lava tube you negotiated, since I fondly remember being FTF on one outside of Reykjavik. But I don't see any Iceland finds on your profile; are you not logging them?

I'm curious as to which lava tube you negotiated, since I fondly remember being FTF on one outside of Reykjavik. But I don't see any Iceland finds on your profile; are you not logging them?

Yeah I haven't logged my Iceland finds yet - I want to finish the writeup, photos and videos so I can link them in the logs :)

I found Dollan (well, DNF'd Dollan) and Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock. Had a few more down in the Reykjanes peninsula penned for targets but had to pass on them for schedule. I really want to get the others, especially Hundraðmetrarhellir the 100m one, and check out the now-archived 350m cave of Gjábakkahellir. (man I love copy/paste, lol)

Edited by thebruce0

Yeah I haven't logged my Iceland finds yet - I want to finish the writeup, photos and videos so I can link them in the logs :)

I found Dollan (well, DNF'd Dollan) and Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock. Had a few more down in the Reykjanes peninsula penned for targets but had to pass on them for schedule. I really want to get the others, especially Hundraðmetrarhellir the 100m one, and check out the now-archived 350m cave of Gjábakkahellir. (man I love copy/paste, lol)

We couldn't find Dollan when we were there. Going back next October with friends who can help us out, and now that I have Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock solved, we can seek that, too. I really want to look for Hundraðmetrarhellir next visit as well. I enjoyed Selgjárhellir even though it was a bit of a crawl to get the cache. Lucked out in that we took the laptop with us on the trip and had wifi in the hotels, so we saw that it had published right when we were heading back toward Rekyjavik.

edit: just saw that Gjábakkahellir is archived now, bummer. Still worth a stop, though -- a 1,000 foot lava tube?

Edited by hzoi

We couldn't find Dollan when we were there. Going back next October with friends who can help us out,

Yeah I'm skeptical of that most recent logged find. Though I didn't think of checking the ground to see if it had fallen out of its big alcove; but I find that hard to believe given how big it is and how much of a lip. But I enjoyed the cave anyway (and I've got a video prepped for publishing too :))

and now that I have Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock solved, we can seek that, too. I really want to look for Hundraðmetrarhellir next visit as well. I enjoyed Selgjárhellir even though it was a bit of a crawl to get the cache. Lucked out in that we took the laptop with us on the trip and had wifi in the hotels, so we saw that it had published right when we were heading back toward Rekyjavik.

edit: just saw that Gjábakkahellir is archived now, bummer. Still worth a stop, though -- a 1,000 foot lava tube?

Yeah there are still a bunch more caves I'd love to check out on next visit. I knew I'd have to skip a bunch if I wanted to keep my schedule.

Taking a helmet next time, just in case, especially considering tremors and whatnot that can loosen stones and boulders. Didn't think of that before.

I do have one video up and published so far, with a few more on their way for when I publish my writeup site...

It's the dashcam compilation I took with the iPhone 4S during the 4 days :)

(I love how much the weather changes throughout, but the 2nd half when I get into Snaefellsness is beautiful) Edited by thebruce0

(I love how much the weather changes throughout, but the 2nd half when I get into Snaefellsness is beautiful)

The cop at 1:43 reminds me of my first visit. Had the road all to myself heading east on the ring road, no one in sight. So I decided to opt out of the 100km limit. Then I saw a teeny tiny car in the distance...which suddenly began flashing blue lights. Slowed down to 100km and as soon as I did the blue lights turned off. Cop waved as we passed each other and I never saw him again.

I didn't see the big S curve on the ring road that's west of Hveragerði, did I miss it? That's my favorite part of the drive...

I didn't see the big S curve on the ring road that's west of Hveragerði, did I miss it? That's my favorite part of the drive...

It zoomed by at about 27-28 seconds in :) And lost focus for a few frames there too. It was a learning experience; got better with the app as the trip went on. Tried to keep focus locked and exposure point set around the horizon, but as the phone shifted I had to move the points and any time I did something else with the phone I had to remember all the settings for the app which sometimes reset them. But it was the only app that would allow the full range of auto-exposure from daylight to extra long night exposure shots (different camera setting in the os for low-light) in single takes without having to manually make changes.

The 4S isn't too good with low light; but it was a cheap used purchase and it worked amazingly well compared to a decent dashcam for a couple hundred $. :)

edit: I've also posted the

The cop at 1:43 reminds me of my first visit. Had the road all to myself heading east on the ring road, no one in sight. So I decided to opt out of the 100km limit. Then I saw a teeny tiny car in the distance...which suddenly began flashing blue lights. Slowed down to 100km and as soon as I did the blue lights turned off. Cop waved as we passed each other and I never saw him again.

lol, wait until you read my first encounter with a taxi driver. ... ...

Thankfully I had no issues with law enforcement. But yeah, most drivers were over the 90 limit on those long stretches. I'm glad I've got Canadian winter driving experience though :)

Edited by thebruce0

This isn't a new project, just one I recently refurbished. It's called "Shave and a Haircut, Two bits" (GC66BPE). It's an arduino gadget cache. It's an easy find in the Arizona desert, but to get into the container and sign the log, you must knock out the old tune on the inner lid. Here's how it works: A small piezzo buzzer records the knocks and compares the cadence and number of knocks with what's stored on the arduino microprocessor. Too slow, too fast, or wrong number of knocks, the the servo will not release the lid. It's been working fine for over a year now, but I decided to "freshen" it up a bit. The attachment below takes you to a youtube video of it working. If anyone is interested in the code for this cache or other arduino caches on my youtube page, send me a pm and I'd be happy to send it to you.

This isn't a new project, just one I recently refurbished. It's called "Shave and a Haircut, Two bits" (GC66BPE). It's an arduino gadget cache. It's an easy find in the Arizona desert, but to get into the container and sign the log, you must knock out the old tune on the inner lid. Here's how it works: A small piezzo buzzer records the knocks and compares the cadence and number of knocks with what's stored on the arduino microprocessor. Too slow, too fast, or wrong number of knocks, the the servo will not release the lid. It's been working fine for over a year now, but I decided to "freshen" it up a bit. The attachment below takes you to a youtube video of it working. If anyone is interested in the code for this cache or other arduino caches on my youtube page, send me a pm and I'd be happy to send it to you.

That is simply amazing!

I found a really neat park--cool features and great history--but no one seems to know who manages or even owns the land. The DNR says it's owned by the local college, while the local college says that they donated it to the state. It's 60 flat acres of prairie with a 40'tall sandstone formation at one end, and was a tourist attraction/landmark/picnic location as far back as the 1880s. Great spot for a cache if I can find someone to ask permission! It doesn't even have parking or signs right now and hardly anyone knows about it, so my current project is getting a cache out there.

I was also working really hard to put an Earthcache out, but so far none of the neat geologic features around here are very accessible to the public.

Have you tried the local government? Who do THEY think owns it? Who pays taxes (or who has signed the appropriate paperwork)? The Zoning office, if there is one, would be a good place to start. SOMEONE must have a legal claim to the land - otherwise, you could simply claim it for yourself, build yourself a house on it, and so on. I'm not suggesting you do that, but as I say, SOMEONE owns it. Does the college have any paperwork, or can you find any newspaper clips or other records, pertaining to the donation of the land to the state? There must be records somewhere.

Just wondering what everyone is working on?

Right now I have several geocaching-related projects going on.

The big one is the relaunch of the geotrail at Plainsboro Preserve (NJ). I built ten new ammo can-based caches (custom paint jobs, custom trinkets, etc) and will be hiding them shortly. I also need to help them set up a "training trail" for some of their projects, and I'm writing up a geocaching brochure for them to distribute to those who want it. Oh, and I'm also redoing their trail map. The official launch is on March 25 so I have about two months to get it all buttoned up.

I just finished construction of a very small cache that will be hidden "in plain sight" at a park about a mile from my house. This will likely happen this weekend.

I'm about 30% finished with the construction of another cache to be hidden "in plain sight" at another park about five miles from my house. This one's made of wood so I have a lot of sanding and sealing and stuff like that to take care of first. I figure this will be hidden in April.

I have a fantastic (IMO) idea for a new cache at yet another park about a half mile from my house but I'm going to need...something that most people wouldn't consider buying in order to make it happen. Not sure if I can do it or not, but if I can it'll be pretty cool. This is just in the planning stage right now, though I've already found a good hiding spot for it.

A few months ago my daughter found an *awesome* place to put a new cache. The only problem is it's 18 feet too close to another cache. Once winter is over we're going to revisit the spot and see if we can find a suitable new location for it that's at least near the awesome place.

Finally, my daughter and I are starting to build our yearly allocation of handmade trinkets to be distributed to our finds this year. We've got four different new trinkets planned, plus we may revisit a couple of our past trinkets as well.

I found a really neat park--cool features and great history--but no one seems to know who manages or even owns the land. The DNR says it's owned by the local college, while the local college says that they donated it to the state. It's 60 flat acres of prairie with a 40'tall sandstone formation at one end, and was a tourist attraction/landmark/picnic location as far back as the 1880s. Great spot for a cache if I can find someone to ask permission! It doesn't even have parking or signs right now and hardly anyone knows about it, so my current project is getting a cache out there.

I was also working really hard to put an Earthcache out, but so far none of the neat geologic features around here are very accessible to the public.

Have you tried the local government? Who do THEY think owns it? Who pays taxes (or who has signed the appropriate paperwork)? The Zoning office, if there is one, would be a good place to start. SOMEONE must have a legal claim to the land - otherwise, you could simply claim it for yourself, build yourself a house on it, and so on. I'm not suggesting you do that, but as I say, SOMEONE owns it. Does the college have any paperwork, or can you find any newspaper clips or other records, pertaining to the donation of the land to the state? There must be records somewhere.

Indeed. I have found that more and more local governments have GIS maps online, which can be used to browse around and find who owns particular parcels of land. Very useful for determining landowners and seeking permission.

Update! My current geocaching project is finally complete.

My big short Iceland road trip writeup with photos and videos is available at:

gc.thebruce.net/iceland

laugh.gif

I think my two favourite reports would be the mountain climb, and finding the old viking grave geocache (the only cache listed on navicache.com, and not geocaching.com). Oh and a taxi driver encounter....

Go check it out, hope you enjoy it!

omnomnom.gif

After 3 overseas trips in 2016, 2017 will be a quiet year for us. I'll just get a few caches now and then. Possibly attend the Mega in Victoria in November.

2018 I hope to go to Africa and shoot lots of animals (with my camera) and add some new countries and a new continent to my list. That's not even in the planning stage yet, though.

Main project - keep having fun.